Author Topic: Injection question  (Read 3511 times)

Offline jboo70

Re: Injection question
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 07:31:39 AM »
I decided against this and I'm glad I did.  I marinated some chicken breast in it and it was NOT good.  It had this weird imitation taste and just was BLAH!!! 

Offline bigdaddydan

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
I would agree with smokeasaurus on this one. If you want to play with a sweet, fruitier pulled pork, play with peach or apricot nectar, or apple or white grape juice. Add some salty and savory in there. If you ever want to play with an interesting sweet and heat, add some pickled jalapeno juice to your injection, but don't let it sit too long being an acid. It adds a nice subtle hint that has people questioning, but in a good way that makes them want more.

Offline jboo70

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 01:35:02 AM »
I wonder if the would be a good combo.  Peach nectar and jalapeno juice?

Offline bigdaddydan

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 08:41:29 AM »
Won't hurt to give it a shot, I haven't don't that combo yet. I've been apple or white grape juice to pickled jalapeno juice. When it came to peach, I usually tied in more of a garlic flavor because I think they compliment each other well. I would start 4:1 juice to jalapeno juice, add some Worcestershire sauce, some salt, some sugar, some rub; play around and have fun with it.

Offline Hub

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 08:49:16 AM »
For years I have taught the concept that injections are basically to assist with moisture and to the extent that they do that they'll also assist with tenderness.  Flavor from injection can be touchy.  Certain ingredients in injections (even commercial ones like FAB or Butchers) will have harder to manage effects.  Injecting something like a marinade (which is highly flavorful because it is supposed to "soak in" instead of be inserted) is very unpredictable. 

All that being said, I also advocate experimentation and meeting your own taste goals outside of competition.  Thus, give it a go and see what happens but have the number of your local Domino's Pizza outlet on speed dial should the results be inedible  ::)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline bigdaddydan

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 09:44:42 AM »
   I would mostly agree with Hub on this one. Injections are there to assist in moisture, but I believe, and it's my personal opinion, that you can get great flavor from injections. However if you inject it with flavors, and upon pulling the pork you mask it with loads of sauce, you defeated the purpose. Enhancers such as FAB & Butchers are true moisture retention products with slight flavor enhancements. I have no problem saying that I use Butchers If you want a fruitier flavor, add it to the sauce if using it. The pickled jalapeno juice is more of a spicy meat tenderizer.
   When doing pulled pork, after injecting, I keep my butts on a cooking rack in an aluminum pan. This allows me to capture the true pork juices with the added flavors. When I pull the pork, the use a fat separator to get rid of the fat in the juice, and then dredge the pork in it's own juices. This is my personal taste preference though.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 11:48:27 AM »
All great input!

One area that is not discussed in a lot of detail when selecting an injection is the chemistry aspect. And - it is important. Most of us know as an example that papain is a naturally occurring enzyme found in papaya and pineapple. And - that unless you boil the pineapple juice or papaya before injecting, and chill it ( food safety) - and you inject meat that will be slow cooked...You can end up with "meat mush".
These enzymes work to break down the long chain molecules that make proteins. This causes muscle fibers to weaken and even dissolve. The result can be a mealy, mushy mess. Like over-cooked ribs - or worse.
Now - this is only one aspect of the food chemistry that can impact your choice of injections. Acidic materials, such as citrus juices, vinegars, or other low ph liquids can also change the "bite" or texture of meats you are working with. Conversely, alkaline or - high ph liquids or - powered compounds (rubs) can cause muscle tissues to "draw up" or tighten - which can lead to a tougher texture. When used in a balance manner - salty compounds ( most rubs) do not toughen the interior - but they do firm the exterior of the meat - and you see the near surface moisture coalesce on the meat's surface.

So - how do you establish good/vs bad? Complicated....with acids, how long will you cook it? The longer the meat remains in contact with acids, the higher the potential of "over-tenderizing". So, caution with the length of time you allow the meat to marinade. With papain containing liquids - always boil them to extend your marinade times ( AND CHILL THEM TO 40F or LOWER BEFORE USE). Some mixtures that contain papain are also acidic - so be aware that you may have more than one chemistry to pay attention to.
Which leads to this: Get yourself a litmus test kit from a pool supply, or invest in a ph pen ( electronic - and you will need test solutions to make sure it stays zeroed). The ph of animal flesh at slaughter is typically 7.1. It declines thereafter, ( no more oxygen saturated blood flowing thru it ) to as low as 5.5- 5.8. I begins to rise again  after processing and chilling.
SO - acids - in order to affect the meat in the manner of a tenderizer - must be lower in ph than the meat you are injecting them in. Make sense? Mix your injections according to a "knowing position" - that is measure the ph of the meat you are injecting - then adjust the ph of the injection to be a little lower than that. Careful - remember that the lower the ph, the faster the injection will work at breaking down - or-  tenderizing the muscle tissues.

More later.... ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 04:23:37 PM »
I should add that ALL injection materials should be chilled to a maximum of 40 F prior to use. This is a food safety recommendation.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401