Author Topic: Just Practising  (Read 2301 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Just Practising
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 07:27:44 PM »
Good looking scallops Drew!

The key to good seared scallops is that they are seared really hot and fast. A preheated cast iron skillet will work.

They should only spend a minute or two per side in the pan max otherwise they will end up overcooked.

Letting them air dry in the fridge will help with the searing. A light coating of salt will help pull moisture out if injected.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 09:56:38 PM »
I'd eat those, NO questions asked!   Look SO good.

Offline pz

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 12:53:24 AM »
Looks great, CDN.  It is almost impossible to get dry scallops in my neck of the woods.  For those that are not sure what to look for, if you see a milky fluid in the package, then the scallops have been treated and are nor "dry"

Because I cannot get anything but wet scallops, I dry them thoroughly with paper towels, then very lightly paint each side with canola oil.  Place into a screamin' hot dry cast iron skillet making sure they are not crowded any closer than an inch apart.  To determine when they are ready to turn, gently nudge from the side - if they move, then they have released from the iron and you can guarantee that they will have a beautiful seared finish.

I use cast iron for anything related to developing the maillard reaction.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 08:18:21 AM »
Hmmm scallops in the stores are injected. I did not know that. Anything to increase profits, I guess. Good info!

Hey you need practice cooking 'em and I need practice eating 'em... what do you say I come help you with that!  ;D
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 12:15:01 PM »
Looks great, CDN.  It is almost impossible to get dry scallops in my neck of the woods.  For those that are not sure what to look for, if you see a milky fluid in the package, then the scallops have been treated and are nor "dry"

Because I cannot get anything but wet scallops, I dry them thoroughly with paper towels, then very lightly paint each side with canola oil.  Place into a screamin' hot dry cast iron skillet making sure they are not crowded any closer than an inch apart.  To determine when they are ready to turn, gently nudge from the side - if they move, then they have released from the iron and you can guarantee that they will have a beautiful seared finish.

I use cast iron for anything related to developing the maillard reaction.

Good info pz, thanks for sharing.