Author Topic: What's your competition dream?  (Read 4459 times)

Offline bigdaddydan

What's your competition dream?
« Reply #-1 on: February 10, 2014, 03:59:20 PM »
More of a curiosity question than anything. What is your biggest competition goal? What is your dream competition? Why do you compete?

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: What's your competition dream?
« on: February 10, 2014, 04:06:58 PM »
More of a curiosity question than anything. What is your biggest competition goal? What is your dream competition? Why do you compete?
Good question.       I competed with my Big Easy's to prove that I could put out a product as good as cookers x3's the price.   I did two comps, first one I finished 12th out of 24 competitors      The second one I finished 4th over all with a 2nd in chicken,  6th in ribs and a 7th in pulled pork.   

So as far as I was concerned I proved what I wanted to.
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline bigdaddydan

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 07:07:25 PM »
TMB, that's awesome, congrats on the great start. I started out that way with my UDS. My first comp, a rib throw-down, I showed up in my work van and someone asked, "teammate bringing the smoker?". My reply was nope. I opened the side door and pulled out my UDS, a cooler, and a table. He told my, "Good luck son." I got the last laugh to his massive setup when I won. Although I have many toys, I still love using that UDS. I keep it at work so I can set it up, throw on some birds, and lunch is ready for the boys.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 09:15:49 PM »
My dream is have one of you fellas ask me down on to one of your competitions. I'll do the dishes and what ever else you ask me with no complaints. Even bring my own pup tent ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 09:50:19 PM »
My hats off to you guys who compete. The only judges that count for me are my family ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 03:22:43 AM »
there is a rib cook-off at hangtown every year.  I went a few years back and wasn't impressive w/ the ribs I tried.  I would love to go this next year w/ my WSM and compete.  why not. got nothing to lose.  I always wanted to see where I stand w/ everyone else's ribs. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:29:48 AM by sparky1 »
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline bigdaddydan

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 07:19:14 AM »
sparky1, go for it. I did my first competition because I lost a bet and by losing I had to compete. Turns out losing that bet was the extra push I needed to get over my fear of competing against others.

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 08:40:20 AM »
My cooking partners and I usually have one lofty goal for every contest:  Do not finish dead assed last.  Recently, we've been fortunate enough to far exceed that one and get some walks.

Last year, cooking right beside Myron Mixon, we set a goal to absolutely shame him in one category.  We did.  My chicken pulled an 8th and he was down near 60th.  Gotta admit he got first in brisket, though.

This year my goal is to get 1st in something, somewhere.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 11:05:18 AM »
My cooking partners and I usually have one lofty goal for every contest:  Do not finish dead assed last.  Recently, we've been fortunate enough to far exceed that one and get some walks.

Last year, cooking right beside Myron Mixon, we set a goal to absolutely shame him in one category.  We did.  My chicken pulled an 8th and he was down near 60th.  Gotta admit he got first in brisket, though.

This year my goal is to get 1st in something, somewhere.

Hub
If I were to finish higher then Myron in any meat I'd be on cloud nine !!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline bigdaddydan

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 11:59:43 AM »
Congrats Hub, beating the "Winningest SOB on the Planet" must have been awesome. I used to be extremely intimidated by it, but once you get past the camera glam, you realize they are there for the same purpose as you. I do have to admit, 45 minutes before my first turn-in at a competition, I still get the same butterflies in my stomach as I did at my first ever competition. 

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 01:21:07 PM »
Biggest Competition Goal...I am a very fortunate and "lucky" fellow and have reached about all my competition goals.  The list of my goals in this wonderful hobby as I did them.

1. Try not to finish DAL in my first contest
2. Win my first meat category
3. Win my first Reserve or Grand Championship.
4. Qualify for the American Royal and the AR Invitational and cook in these prestigious events.
5. Get a bung into the Jack...win an invite to this great event. This World Championship contest was my biggest dream in contest cooking and I was fortunate enough to compete in it 4 times.

Dream Competitions other than the Jack Daniels that I never got the opportunity to cook in.

1. Harpoon Championship in Vermont
2. Caribbean Competition in San Juan PR
3. Fairbanks Alaska Contest
4. Dillard Georgia Contest

Why do I compete...are you kidding, it's all about the BBQ Groupies!!!

For me, it's the camaraderie and the lasting friendships you make with this great hobby along with all the fun in doing these events. My goodness, to get to cook, camp, drink some beer, listen to great music, maybe to hear your name called and win a little money, it doesn't get any better than that for a contest cook.

I wish I could still do it but the age thing is catching up with me.

Dave

Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline bigdaddydan

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 02:06:54 PM »
Biggest Competition Goal...I am a very fortunate and "lucky" fellow and have reached about all my competition goals.  The list of my goals in this wonderful hobby as I did them.

1. Try not to finish DAL in my first contest
2. Win my first meat category
3. Win my first Reserve or Grand Championship.
4. Qualify for the American Royal and the AR Invitational and cook in these prestigious events.
5. Get a bung into the Jack...win an invite to this great event. This World Championship contest was my biggest dream in contest cooking and I was fortunate enough to compete in it 4 times.

Dream Competitions other than the Jack Daniels that I never got the opportunity to cook in.

1. Harpoon Championship in Vermont
2. Caribbean Competition in San Juan PR
3. Fairbanks Alaska Contest
4. Dillard Georgia Contest

Why do I compete...are you kidding, it's all about the BBQ Groupies!!!

For me, it's the camaraderie and the lasting friendships you make with this great hobby along with all the fun in doing these events. My goodness, to get to cook, camp, drink some beer, listen to great music, maybe to hear your name called and win a little money, it doesn't get any better than that for a contest cook.

I wish I could still do it but the age thing is catching up with me.

Dave

Dave that is one hell of a goal list to have accomplished and I congratulate you on achieving all of your goals, especially to have competed at the Jack 4 times. That in itself is an unbelievable feat. I think you hit the same nail on the head as I did about why you compete.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 07:43:24 PM »
My competition dream is to setup and pose as the turn-in table, then make a quick getaway with the goods!  8)
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Palmyrasteak

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 06:37:07 PM »
My competition goal was to win the World Championship STEAK cook-off ( we DID IT in 2012!!!  ;D ;D ;D ) My NEW goal is to win it again. This year, along with the regular competition, the current World champion, PLUS 24 former World champs will compete in a separate competition. I would REALLY like to win both  :o  Now that would be a dream come true!
But the main reason I like to compete is we meet so many nice people at these events.

Offline Over Dunn

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 01:25:58 PM »
My dream? Shucks, it's all ready happened. My first BBQ contest, me and the team won Grand Champion! :o
Apex, NC. Pelletheads.Com team. 2012. Not even close, since then. :'(  My next dream? Beat Tuffy Stone in ANYTHING!  :D

OD
GMG DANIEL BOONE
GMG JIM BOWIE
CharBroil CB500X
UDS
Pit Barrel Cooker