Author Topic: Creole Mustard  (Read 970 times)

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Creole Mustard
« Reply #-1 on: March 03, 2014, 02:06:53 PM »
Creole-style Mustard

If you’re a fan of flavorful mustard, you really should make your own! Due to its acidic nature, mustard does not require refrigeration but unrefrigerated mustard will lose its pungency more quickly so it should be stored covered and refrigerated.  The mustard will need to sit at least three weeks to develop its full flavor. (I couldn’t find any Creole mustard in any of the local grocery or specialty stores around here so I decided to make my own.)

1/2 cup yellow mustard seeds
1/2 cup brown mustard seeds
1 cup dry white wine
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
2 tablespoons malt vinegar

Heat a dry heavy skillet over medium heat and add the mustard seeds. Heat until the seeds are nicely toasted. Remove from heat, cover with a side towel and cool. Using a spice grinder or rolling pin, coarsely grind the mustard seeds.

Sterilize three one-cup jars and lids.

Whisk together the wine, garlic, celery seeds, allspice, salt, clove and nutmeg in a small saucepan. Bring to a low boil and remove from heat. Let the mixture steep for two hours.

Combine the mustard seeds, tarragon vinegar and malt vinegar in a non-reactive container. Reheat the wine and spice mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat. Strain and add to the mustard seeds; whisk until combined. Allow the mustard to bloom for three or four days. After blooming, pour the mustard into the jars leaving 1/2-inch head space and seal. Process the mustard in a water bath for 15 minutes.

Store the mustard in the pantry for three weeks before using. Once opened, keep the mustard refrigerated to preserve its flavor.

Peppercorns toasting in a dry skillet

A quick spin through the spice grinder

Liquid added to the mustard seeds

Ready for canning; then off to the pantry for three weeks to mellow

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Creole Mustard
« on: March 03, 2014, 02:16:02 PM »
Would love to try using that as a brisket rub glue.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 12:03:59 AM »
I love Creole mustard, I have a bottle of Zatarain's in my fridge, yours looks really good.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 06:19:21 PM »
thanks again,we have the seeds just havent done them yet,another project coming up for this thrifty cook.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 08:23:55 PM »
I love Creole mustard, I have a bottle of Zatarain's in my fridge, yours looks really good.  ;)

Agree (except I always have extra jars of Zatarain's in the pantry in case I run out before my annual trip to NOLA - can't get it in Hawaii without a bank loan and SWMBO would be very unhappy if I allowed a lapse in availability).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion