Author Topic: Smoke Flavor or Charcoal Flavor B/4 Sous Vide Steak?  (Read 2164 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Smoke Flavor or Charcoal Flavor B/4 Sous Vide Steak?
« Reply #-1 on: March 06, 2014, 11:50:36 AM »
After a few years of mulling sous vide over I'm about to pony up a couple hundred bucks for an Anova.  But I know that we won't be happy if the fire flavor is missing.  I'm referring to the flavor we think a charcoal or a wood fire provides.

I have a pellet-fired pit with a grilling area directly over the flame so I could smoke a steak at a relatively cool temperature or sear it in the flame zone.  Searing over the flame doesn't appeal to me, I'd rather do it in blazing hot cast iron, 'cause the pit's flame zone could quickly overcook a 140° steak.

Are any of you smoking your steaks before cooking sous vide and then searing?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Smoke Flavor or Charcoal Flavor B/4 Sous Vide Steak?
« on: March 06, 2014, 12:06:48 PM »
I just got my Anova yesterday and will be experimenting with it, last night did chicken breast and I grilled them after the sous vide bath.  The juiciness and tenderness was unlike any chicken breast I have had before.

Today I'm going to do a steak and I'm going to use the presearing method recommended at this site.
http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/presearing-for-sous-vide#/
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 12:23:48 PM »
Does the Anova just read in Celsius? Can it be set for Fahrenheit?  Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 01:01:45 PM »
Does the Anova just read in Celsius? Can it be set for Fahrenheit?  Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

It can be set for either C or F, it came set to C and I changed it to F.
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline pmillen

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 02:11:02 PM »
Today I'm going to do a steak and I'm going to use the presearing method recommended at this site.

I've read that cooking a steak sous vide will soften the sear.  That article recommends a quick sear after SV to firm it up.
S-SV-QS makes sense.  Please let us know what you seasoned the meat with and how long you did each step.

Also, do you enjoy the fire provided flavor?  Do you miss it when you cook SV?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 02:12:56 PM »
[/quote]

I watched the video, here's a question if you pre-seared then vac sealed. Could you do a bunch up and put in the freezer for use at a later date?

Very interested on how you make out ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 03:33:19 PM »

I've read that cooking a steak sous vide will soften the sear.  That article recommends a quick sear after SV to firm it up.
S-SV-QS makes sense.  Please let us know what you seasoned the meat with and how long you did each step.

Also, do you enjoy the fire provided flavor?  Do you miss it when you cook SV?

So far I seared in a cast iron skillet with butter and fresh thyme springs for two minutes each side over medium heat.  They have been in the sous-vide bath going on two hours now, will let you know how it turns out when done. I usually use cracked peppercorn and a light coating of Lawry's seasoned salt, I'll probably use that combo when I do the quick sear at the end.

Yes, sous vide does sort of rob me of one of life's pleasures, standing outside in nice weather around the hot grill with a cold beer while discussing various other cooking methods and telling fish stories.   SV won't become my only method of cooking but it has it's advantages in that when I'm busy and need to get other things done I can put things in the SV bath and let it do it's thing while I do other things. 
----------------------

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 03:41:36 PM »
I watched the video, here's a question if you pre-seared then vac sealed. Could you do a bunch up and put in the freezer for use at a later date?

Very interested on how you make out ;D

I don't see why not, that's another experiment I can try too.  I do have some more steaks that I did not presear, just vacuumed sealed with a pat of butter and fresh thyme springs. I'll try them next, sous vide without presear and then on the Weber with GrillGrates for the final sear.
----------------------

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 05:42:24 PM »
I post cook in a hot cast iron skillet for 60 sec. Each side .
If you still need to post sear don't see point in pre. Cook sear.
If you want to smoke cool smoke a bunch then seal & freeze.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:41:14 PM by LostArrow »
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 06:05:40 PM »
I just pulled a sample steak out of the SV bath, seared it for 30 seconds each side in a cast iron skillet with butter...WOW...Most tender juicy sirloin I've ever had.

Got two more still sitting in the SV bath for dinner tonight, those two are going to get seared on the Weber/GrillGrates with Kingsford Competition.

One note: I set the SV for 135F and the steaks are a nice even pink throughout, a little too much for my liking.  I prefer more red rare so I will dial down the temp a few degrees on the next round.
----------------------

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 06:42:44 PM »
Sous- vide steaks cooked below 130F may have a funny texture , I cook at 130
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 06:53:58 PM »
Sous- vide steaks cooked below 130F may have a funny texture , I cook at 130

Thanks for the tip, I'll do 130F on the next round.  ;)
----------------------

Offline pmillen

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 08:43:12 PM »
I post cook in a hot cast iron skillet for 60 sec. Each side .

That's helpful, thanks.

If you still need to post sear don't see point in pre. Cook sear.

Las Vegan Cajun's recommended link suggested several reasons for pre-searing but suggested post-searing to crisp up the crust.

If you want to smoke cool smoke a bunch then seal & freeze.

Good idea.  I'll do that after I perfect the process.
Paul

Offline pmillen

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 02:41:47 PM »
I re-read all of the replies.  It appears that no one is smoking their SV meats.

I'll take LostArrow's suggested method and cold smoke before SV cooking.  I have a pellet smoker but I think I can do it at a lower temperature in my Bradley with the heating element off.  It shouldn't take long to get appropriate smoke flavor, after all a steak is only over charcoal for a few minutes.

The sequence will be - cold steak cold smoke - sear - sous vide - season - quick sear.
Paul

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 02:59:50 PM »
The steaks I did last night didn't sear very well for the post SV sear on the Weber with GrillGrates, probably would have been better of doing it in a skillet for the post SV sear. The steaks were still very tender though, just not as eye appealing as a well grilled steak.

Yesterday I smoked some sausages I made for about an hour with applewood then I pulled them and vacuum sealed them in the Food Saver.  This morning I put them in the SV at 165 for 2 hours then pulled them from the water bath and seared them on the stove in a cast iron skillet, they turned out excellent.
----------------------