Author Topic: Cheese Info.  (Read 1735 times)

Offline fishingbouchman

Cheese Info.
« Reply #-1 on: March 09, 2014, 11:26:13 AM »
A friend sent me this via email.  Hope it is ok to post not sure where it came from. 

Didn't realize I could age my cheese.  Now I might have it give it a shot. 

Mr.T’s
“Smoked Cheese, From Go to Show”

Those of us who smoke cheese enjoy that little something extra, and smoking cheese is fun and easy to do. Hard cheeses are the easiest and with the proper equipment smoked soft cheeses can add that something spectacular to any meal.

While going to the extra effort to smoke that favorite cheese. Why not add another dimension and age your own cheese and save some really big bucks at the same time.
The youngest cheese that I smoke is a minimum of two years old, the oldest and best cheese I have ever eaten is, my 12 year old hickory smoked Limburger, sadly not much of that is left.

There is a ton of controversy when it comes to aging, smoking and preserving cheese. The following are the techniques that I have used for many years; you are welcome to glean from it what you like.
Hopefully this will encourage someone to age, smoke and preserve their own cheese.
Mr. T

FAQ’s

Question: Can I age store bought cheese?

Answer: Yes, I normally will buy cheese in the cryovac package, 2 to 5 Lbs. the larger the better.
60 Lbs. Aging Cheese

Question: Will it age in the package?

Answer: Yes it will. Make sure there are no leaks that would allow liquids to escape and contaminates to enter. Waxed cheeses although will age better. A very dry cheese can age for years, while moist cheeses will simply get old.

Question: At what temperature should I store the cheese?

Answer: Store hard cheeses at temperatures between 70° & 35°. The ideal aging temp is 52° to 56°. My hard cheeses are kept at a minimum of 45°. The closer to 70° the faster it will age. Softer cheeses should be stored in the cooler range of 50° to 35°.

Question: How long can I age my cheese?

Answer: I don’t know of any limits in time. The longest I have aged a cheese is the 12 year old Limburger. I have read that some have aged Cheddar for 25 years and more. Cheddar’s flavor becomes increasingly sharp; its firm texture becomes more granular and crumbly with age. Cheese never stops aging. Left long enough, mild cheddar will turn into extra sharp. A semi – hard/hard cheese will never spoil as long as it is vacuum packed and refrigerated. It gets better with age also.
Ready to be Smoked

Question: How much should I smoke at one time?

Answer: Smoke according to the size of the block. I smoke cheese as we need it. Cut your blocks into sections approximately the size of a quarter pound stick of butter for better smoke penetration. A one pound block may be cut in half, while a two or five pound block will need to be sectioned for good smoke absorption.

Question: At what temperatures should I smoke?
Answer: Consider that cheese will begin to change its texture at 80° so; a true cold smoke will be needed. The definition of a true cold smoke is 90° or less. To preserve the quality of the cheese, mine is pulled from the smoker if the internal smoker temperature reaches 70°to 75° then, if needed, continue when the elements are cooler. The smoking time is continued from when it was pulled from smoker.
Note: You can take the cheese on up to the melting point if you like and it may still be desirable to your taste, but the quality of the cheese will be lost.

Question: How long should I smoke the cheese?

Answer: Only experience will determine this as it really depends on your taste.
I usually will smoke the hard cheeses for two hours depending on the density of the smoke and type of wood used. The harder the cheese the more dense smoke it can take. If it is a caramel color you are looking for, a dense smoke for 5 hours may be required. Depending on the type and texture of your cheese, monitor the smoke as a lighter smoke will sometimes infuse a more desirable flavor than a heavy dense smoke will. Cream or blues will take a much shorter smoking time than the harder cheeses. Some softer cheeses may be done in half an hour.
Learn to keep good records. In your records note the type of cheese, ambient temperature, internal smoker temperature, type and amount of wood, density of the smoke and of course the time, color and taste.
Ready for Smoker

Question: What woods should I use?

Answer: Hickory, apple, cherry and alder among others work very well.

Question: Okay it’s smoked. Now what?

Answer: Place in a zip type bag leaving a small opening to keep condensation from forming and allow it to set on a rack at room temperature for a day. If it is going to be consumed soon, wrap in a cling type wrap and put in fridge or store at previously discussed temperatures. It is best to let rest at room temperature for two to three weeks to allow the smoke to permeate the cheese. Depending on the type of cheese, if it is going to be kept for a few months, coat it with olive or vegetable oil and place on a rack inside a container and refrigerate. Reapply oil every two weeks. A damp paper towel may be kept in the container to provide added moisture. After slicing some for use, reapply oil. The oil will help keep mold from forming on the outside. If the cheese is going to be aged further, it is waxed and stored as usual. Of course it can be vacuum sealed also.
Question: Can I freeze my cheese before or after smoking?
Answer: It’s my opinion that, the quality of the cheese is seriously compromised by freezing.

Question: What cheeses can be waxed?

Answer: Only the hard cheeses should be waxed, Cheddar, Swiss, Colby, etc. The less moisture you have in your cheese the better for waxing.

Question: Can I use paraffin to wax cheese?

Answer: No. Paraffin is not pliable and will crack and break in time allowing contaminates in and molds to form. Use only wax designated as cheese wax. It will remain pliable and allow your cheese to breathe which aids in aging. It will also take a much higher heat when melting which when applied, helps in preventing mold.

Question: At what temperature should I heat the wax?

Answer: Germs are killed at 180°. To prevent mold, heat wax to 225°- 240° or the wax manufacturers suggested temperature. BE CAREFUL if taken too high, the waxes flash point may be reached. To prevent pinholes, apply three coats by dipping or brushing the wax on. To prevent melting the first coat of wax, apply the additional coats at a lower temp, 160°.
Note: 1 - Use a designated pan to melt wax in, not a good one.
2 - Suggest using a hot plate rather than a gas stove for obvious reasons.
Question: Can I use a double boiler to melt the wax?
Answer: Not for the first coating. Water boils at 212° at sea level and generally decreases 2° per 1000 ft as elevation increases. Therefore desirable temperatures cannot be reached.
Waxed Cheddar

Question: Where can I get Cheese wax?

Answer: Cheese making suppliers will have it or, it may be purchased on line.
Vacuum Packed

The below cheeses are what is kept on the kitchen counter for short time use. Note the aged 4 year old cheddar has been on the counter for three months, no mold.

Question: What do I do if I find mold on my cheese?
Answer: The mold on hard or semi-soft cheeses may be washed with a scrub brush or, cut away and re-waxed or oiled.
Soft cheeses, such as cottage cheese, cream cheese and ricotta cheese, that have mold should be discarded. The same goes for any kind of cheese that's shredded, crumbled or sliced.
With these cheeses, the mold can send threads throughout the cheese. In addition, harmful bacteria, such as listeria, brucella, salmonella and E. coli, can grow along with the mold.
Mold generally can't penetrate far into hard and semisoft cheeses, such as cheddar, colby, Parmesan and Swiss. So you can cut away the moldy part and eat the rest of the cheese. Cut off at least 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) around and below the moldy spot. Be sure to keep the knife out of the mold so it doesn't contaminate other parts of the cheese.
Of course, not all molds pose a risk. In fact, some types of mold are used to make cheeses, such as Brie and Camembert. These molds are safe to eat.
If you're not sure what type of cheese you have or what to do if it grows mold, the safe course is to discard it.
Question: Can I get this type of cheese on-line?
Answer: Yes and here is a link to get you started.
https://www.wisconsincheesemart.com/cheese/

Listeria in soft cheese made with unpasteurized milk such as queso fresco, Feta, Brie and Camembert.
http://www.foodsafety.gov/poisoning/causes/bacteriaviruses/listeria/
view
Tillamook Cheese
Type Aged Uses
Medium Sharp Cheddar 60 days snack, sandwich, main dish
Sharp Cheddar Nine + months appetizer or main dish
Reserve Extra Sharp 2 years gourmet side dishes
compliments smoked salmon and sauces
Vintage White Extra sharp Cheddar 2 + years companion to fruit and wine
Vintage Medium White Cheddar 100 + days well with fruit and wine
Monterey Jack topping on any dish
Pepper Jack southwest recipes, snack with crackers
Swiss burgers and soup
Colby sandwiches appetizer with crackers or bread
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Saber 4

Re: Cheese Info.
« on: March 09, 2014, 01:22:08 PM »
Lot's of good info, thanks for sharing. I don't know if I could resist temptation long enough to have 12 year old aged cheese.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 01:34:28 PM »
Some great info, thanks.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 02:48:34 PM »
FB,
Thanks for posting.  This is good reference material.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 04:09:24 PM »
Good read.  Thanks for posting.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 09:04:26 PM »
Definitely thanks for posting that. Very informative.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 10:14:40 PM »
Thank you for posting that info.  VERY helpful.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 07:08:13 AM »
Great info!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven