Author Topic: Another no knead bread thread  (Read 3371 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Another no knead bread thread
« Reply #-1 on: March 11, 2014, 06:26:16 PM »
This is the ubiquitous online recipe,source unknown.Just a bit different from the 5 minute bread version....

3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast
1 1/2 cups water

I made 1.5 the amt to cook in the #12 Lodge DO.

Whisk dry ingredients in a dish,then add water.Mix just until flour is all moist and thats it!

Click to enlarge pics

Let sit 12-18 hours on counter,covered but able to breathe.Then I poured out onto floured counter-top and wrapped it over itself about 12 times,adding about 1-2 tsp flour as just too wet,then sprinkled with bit of flour and cornmeal.Dont over handle bread,just gently form,dont knead.

Preheated oven and DO to around 475F,while that happened bread rose about 30 minutes.Tossed bread into DO,a couple slits with scissors on top.Put in folded side up for making the rough looking top.No need to oil DO,just drop it in.Put on lid and bake

After 20 minutes take off top of DO.

Drop temp to 450F and cook about 25 minutes more until toasty top and bread is hollow sounding when thumped. Then just used a gloved hand and it easily comes out of DO.

Came out crusty,chewy and excellent.This would be super with bread or stews.The internet is right,this is very easy very forgiving bread thats hard to screw up,gotta love it!

Approved by Snooky

« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 06:33:01 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

Re: Another no knead bread thread
« on: March 11, 2014, 06:31:52 PM »
Im sold on this,my last 2 loaves....
--------------------------
Made bread,monster rise on loaf.I let it sit 30 hours before pulling out of prep dish,added onion powder,cilantro powder and poppy seeds when first mixed,Then plopped on floured counter and gently folded it just twice,tucked in bottom to make round,into dutch oven about 425 (oven just didnt get hot last night) then buttered top half way thru cooking...,cooked about 55 minutes....

----------------------------
Little funny looking but boy does it taste good.Cooked 25 minutes covered in dutch oven at 475F,then 450 F for 30 minutes uncovered,could have used 5 minutes or more so for the 6 cup flour loaf here....Added onion powder,poppy seeds... and cornmeal sprinkled on top for more crunch.SUPER toast.

Approved by Snookie and Girl

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 06:48:04 PM »
Looks delicious.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 12:05:37 AM »
Good looking buns and pups. You can split the dough into 6 equal balls and make hamburger buns in a 350 oven, basted with melted butter for about 30 minutes.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 12:14:39 AM »
Many Thanks for the post. You folks are making it easy to get into the bread biz ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline spuds

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 12:52:09 AM »
Good looking buns and pups. You can split the dough into 6 equal balls and make hamburger buns in a 350 oven, basted with melted butter for about 30 minutes.
And I will,thank you!

Yes,so simple if youve never baked a loaf to make this,its hard to mess up actually.So if youre reading this and on the fence,do try,you will probably get a super result first time out.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 03:58:27 AM »
Bread is so easy..I started with a bread machine when they first came out and saw how few ingredients it takes. then I started on my own. I like having the 5 minute stuff around..just in case., but with my machine I can have a loaf in 59 minutes. Can't beat fresh bread.. one of my signature breads is rye bread. They have a 5 minute version too.

5 Minute Version - Rye bread Master Recipe – makes 4 1lb. loaves easily doubled or halved
3 cups warm water
1 ½ tbs yeast
1 ½ tbs salt
1 ½ tbs caraway seeds plus more for top
1 cup rye flour
5 ½ cups unbleached AP flour
Cornmeal for peel
Cornstarch wash:
Blend ½ tsp cornstarch with small amount of water to for a paste. Add ½ cup water and whisk. Nuke for  30-60 seconds on high. Refrigerate for 2 weeks, discard if smells off.
Make elongated loaf and preheat oven to 450º for 25 minutes. 20 minutes before baking, brush with cornstarch wash and sprinkle with caraway seeds. Slash with deep parallel cuts across loaf  and bake for 30  minutes.

Pam's Rye Bread for a Bread Machine
This makes a 1 .5 lb. loaf
1 1/2 C. warm water
1 T. Artificial Brown Sugar or the real thing
1 T. molasses
1 1/2 t. white vinegar
2 1/2 C. bread flour
3/4 C. rye flour
1 tbs Deli Rye flour. I get it from KAF (optional)
1/2 t. salt
2-3 T. Caraway seeds (I also crush a few for more flavor) (optional)
2 T. yeast ( I have a machine that bakes a loaf in 59 minutes..so I have to double the yeast)..
if you have a regular machine..use 1T yeast 
You can add 1 T. wheat gluten if desired because the rye flour is heavy and it will not rise as much as bread flour..so I just double the yeast.  When bread is done..take from machine  and let sit for 10 minutes and it will slide out of the pan.  I have made this at night when my Mother-in-law stayed with us and the smell woke her from sleeping..it smells wonderful and we had to have some.  I use squirt butter on the outside of the loaf after it is baked to help keep the crust softer.
 .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 10:50:12 AM »
Thanks, bookmarked that one
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 12:01:05 PM »
For Rye bread with the no knead recipe I just swap one cup of unbleached A/P flour for one cup of Rye and add the caraway seeds and it turns out as good as any I've had from a deli/bakery.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 12:20:37 PM »
Looks great.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 12:27:34 PM »
Everything looks great! Going to definitely bookmark this one!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pappymn

Another no knead bread thread
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 03:39:21 PM »
Wow! So much good bread being baked here lately. I'm going to give this 5 minute thing a try!
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109