Author Topic: Ya gotta love Lodge!  (Read 4422 times)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Ya gotta love Lodge!
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 04:11:18 PM »
Is there anything that a cast iron skillet not appropriate for cooking?  I have noticed that sometimes cooking a tomato based dish will pick up the "iron" taste. True or my 'magination?  Dee
Dee..that is the main reason that I went with the enameled cast iron..to stop the iron taste from the tomato based products...and it works great. Then it was just so useful for everything else, my stainless steel stuff doesn't get used much any more. A couple of pieces would do ya, but you know me..I can't just have 2 pieces..LOL.  Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Same here I've learned my lesson the hard way that cooking anything tomato based in cast iron does not turn out too well and it destroys the seasoning on the cast iron.  So I did as Pam did, for the same reason, and invested in some enameled cast iron.  Pricey but we'll worth it. 
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 07:49:14 PM »
I now use enamel CI pot from Lodge that I got from Academy for 50-60 dollars for many dishes I used to use my CI pot for.  Definitely us it for tomato containing stuff.  The bottom of it has turned from white to black but that doesn't seem to have effected anything.  I don't think it's worn out the enamel, just discolored or coated it.  Some of those with the Frenchy names are really expensive.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 07:53:41 PM »
I have an enamel cast Dutch Oven, should have had it years earlier. ;D

Looking for a lodge skillet now.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 06:18:52 AM »
I recommend the deep skillet... it's great for stews and soups.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 10:27:25 AM »
The bottom of it has turned from white to black but that doesn't seem to have effected anything.  I don't think it's worn out the enamel, just discolored or coated it.

When I clean my enameled CI I use a citrus based cleaner (orange) to clean the brown marks off the bottom.  So far they look like the day I bought them.
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 10:29:23 AM »
The bottom of it has turned from white to black but that doesn't seem to have effected anything.  I don't think it's worn out the enamel, just discolored or coated it.

When I clean my enameled CI I use a citrus based cleaner (orange) to clean the brown marks off the bottom.  So far they look like the day I bought them.
baking soda works well here too..just sayin.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2014, 10:31:19 AM »

baking soda works well here too..just sayin.   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Thanks Pam, I'll give that a try too.  ;)
----------------------

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 10:56:57 AM »
I have downsized my cast iron collection. I sold about 300 pieces when we moved into this townhouse. I probably have close to 100 pieces of mostly old Wagner Ware and Griswold in storage to sell "one day".  I have been to the Lodge foundry and to the Cornbread Festival, it is a great trip. As information, when you are at a flea market or garage sale and see a piece of cast iron that is marked on the bottom simply as USA and a designation like SK-8 (size 8 skillet) or DO-10 (size 10 dutch oven) it is probably a Lodge. According to two different people I have talked to at Lodge they did not start putting the Lodge name on the bottom until the 1990's. You will also find the older stuff is more finely cast and smoother.

We have 10 or 12 cast iron pieces we use regularly to cook with and most of that is my wife's grandmothers. She won't let me use those but I have my own to cook with. I have 4 different griddles and a Lodge Combo Cooker and two sizes of the Lodge enameled dutch ovens. I like to cook on the Camp Chef stove on a cast iron griddle. Hard to beat a ribeye seared on cast iron. I like to cook a half pound of bacon on the griddle then throw some hamburgers on the bacon grease and cook them for a delicious and really bad for you bacon cheeseburger.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 03:38:45 PM »
TwoP,thanks for the info.My DO I researched and found it was a Lodge,but sure didnt know about the USA marking.That makes sense,my USA are really nice pans with super smooth finishes.I see more nice USA I will grab em.

Thank you Sir,awesome info!  ;)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 04:21:53 PM »
I have downsized my cast iron collection. I sold about 300 pieces when we moved into this townhouse. I probably have close to 100 pieces of mostly old Wagner Ware and Griswold in storage to sell "one day".

OMG You are the cast iron king with that collection.  ;)
----------------------

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »
I have downsized my cast iron collection. I sold about 300 pieces when we moved into this townhouse. I probably have close to 100 pieces of mostly old Wagner Ware and Griswold in storage to sell "one day".

OMG You are the cast iron king with that collection.  ;)

Although we have sold a lot of stuff, we still have way too much. My wife and I were both hoarders collectors when we got married. We downsized from 3 rental storage buildings to 1 and had 2 huge garage sales when me moved but still have way too much stuff.
Ken

Char-Broil The Big Easy

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2014, 10:59:17 AM »
I think a cast iron skillet should be called a "Husband Adjustment Tool".  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 06:58:25 PM »
Are the rings on the bottom of some cast iron pans a good gauge of a certain time frame they were made in?
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 07:10:25 PM »
Are the rings on the bottom of some cast iron pans a good gauge of a certain time frame they were made in?
Those are a heat ring, I don't think they are a timeframe  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 07:16:44 PM »
Those are a heat ring, I don't think they are a timeframe  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

One thing people use as a timeframe is a "gatemark" or those ridges on the bottom where the cast iron was poured into the mold in really old cast iron. You will see a lot for sale as pre-1800's and some of it is, but some third world countries are making iron using that method today and it is just cheap iron made from who knows what metal as melted down to make it. It is better to look for a brand name and pay a little more for it. I like Griswold, Wagner Ware, Piqua Ware and any nice smooth USA iron.
Ken

Char-Broil The Big Easy