Author Topic: Show us your 2014 Garden  (Read 25687 times)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Show us your 2014 Garden
« Reply #-1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:42:59 AM »
With another Nor'easter threatening the East Coast I realize that a garden is the last thing on many people's mind.  Especially for our Northern friends and Canadians ... But, in other portions of the Country gardens are being planted  8)  8)

I'll start it off with my garden, to date, here in Northern California (about 70 miles East of San Francisco)
Took out my lawn 2 years ago and installed raised beds ... BBQ units under covered patio  ;D

Tomatoes ... room for scallions

Zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers, and marigolds ... room for radishes

Eggplant, jalapeƱos, red and green bell peppers ... room for some carrots

Bush green beans, bush Italian green beans, spinach, marigolds

Strawberries

Spaghetti and Butternut squash are planted in beds on the retaining wall.  Will train them to grow on a trellis.  Going to use 1 full bed for corn planted at different intervals.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Show us your 2014 Garden
« on: March 24, 2014, 11:43:27 AM »
Awesome setup Pete!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
Supposed to get six to 12 inches of snow Tuesday night... too early to do any planting in New England!!

Nice set up though... wish mine was like that!
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:21:14 AM »
I am gonna do my produce shopping at Smoker Petes....while he is sleeping  ;) ;)

Great looking garden. Wendy was just saying this weekend that when we get to Bama, she would like to have a garden. Gonna show her this excellent set up  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:13:25 AM »
Here's my garden.

It is getting ready for one crop: hay!

Just one of the areas we will be cultivating this year.

When we can, we buy our vegetables from the ranchers in the area where they set up stands and sell their home grown stuff.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline pz

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 04:50:50 PM »
I'd like to do raised bed - we have an awful mole/gopher problem - sometimes you can actually see the plants shake like in an old Bugs Bunny cartoon.

I like your watering manifold - I did something like that a couple decades ago when we didn't have deer/mole/gopher/turkey/moose infestations we have today.  I ran the water lines to the area where each plant was to be placed and then covered everything with heavy black plastic sheeting held down with hay between the rows.  The water lines were underneath the plastic. Poked holes through the plastic to plant.  The black plastic soaked up the sun and actually made the plants grow quite a bit faster due to the enhanced warmth of the roots (I experimented with zucchini under the plastic, and without plastic - the difference was dramatic).

In addition, I only had to water the garden beneath the black plastic twice that season.  I might try that again, but using raised bed instead (we put up an 8-foot deer fence last summer)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 09:55:37 PM »
Talk about having one's priorities in order!  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 02:22:28 PM »
Given the drought there in Cali, I'm almost embarrassed to say that we haven't been able to plant our garden yet because of TOO much water!  We have lots of seed starts taking over the dining room table, and they're getting too big for their pots since we haven't been able to plant.

Pz-- I like your idea with the black plastic-- that must be a huge water saver, and save lots of time not having to pull weeds!  Will have to see about doing a set up like that with our huge plot as soon as it dries out enough to till!  We still need to put up fencing around ours too-- we just have a chicken problem rather than a gopher problem. :) 

MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 02:35:23 PM »
Here's mine after today's snowstorm...

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 03:13:22 PM »
Given the drought there in Cali, I'm almost embarrassed to say that we haven't been able to plant our garden yet because of TOO much water!  We have lots of seed starts taking over the dining room table, and they're getting too big for their pots since we haven't been able to plant.

You're right about the drought Kat.  We're experiencing the worst drought in 100 years here in California  :(  :(  BUT we're actually getting a bit of rain today!!  ;D  Who says it never rains in California?!  :-\  Course, we could use 30 days and 30 nights of rain ...  Glad I got my garden planted.  Planted my 1st 3 rows of Corn yesterday.

Char Broil SRG

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 04:59:55 PM »
pz, the black plastic works well.  A Barn Owl box for nesting works well for me with the gopher problem.  I have 12 scattered over the ranch.
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 06:58:04 AM »
Great garden!
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 04:33:05 PM »
OK,on left,from front is parsley,then Brussels sprouts,and an artichoke you cant see,right is kale,carrot and lots of strawberry runners,all overwintered,very cool.This is where the aquaponic hoophouse will be built,it will be 10x12 feet.

This is the Mantis composter,just got it for 80 dollars on Craigslist

Chickens and ducks.Have Limes.lemon,grapefruit,oranges and tangerines,7 total.They each have 3-4 15 watt old style Christmas bulb.When frost or snow they get covered with a trashcan and at 34f lights heat em,at 36 lights turn off.They all survived frost and snow this year.

Here we have yellow hyacinth in a bed of oregano,a pink dwarf peach,rest of bulbs havent bloomed yet.All trees are dwarf.

On the left in pink is a peach,the 3 above with white blossoms are assorted pears,above them are 6 different apples.Back fence has 2 thornless berries,top and bottom fence on left has 2 pomegranates that survived winter,very cool!~

Also have other berries,spices and grapes that didnt make pics,not bad for such a small yard.All trees planted last fall.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 04:37:08 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 04:48:04 PM »
Very nice garden spuds  8)  Been wondering if I should get me one of those composters!?  I know they're great to have.

But I have one question ... Where are the 'spuds'?   :D  :D
Char Broil SRG

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2014, 05:41:11 PM »
We had some volunteer spuds in the mulch pile once,next time we tried bugs got em.

The composter is more for getting rid of endless pine needles than compost,would be nice if it speeds things up,takes 2 years to break down in pile,but makes good stuff and tons of worm treats for birdies.

Great beds you have there.

I just picked up 20 tomatoes  for 20 bucks,all kinds from sweet 100 on up,one of few veggies I can grow here,peas do real good.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 05:43:38 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.