Author Topic: Show us your 2014 Garden  (Read 25915 times)

Offline pz

Re: Show us your 2014 Garden
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2014, 01:32:11 AM »
Dang, all I have is a black thumb

All veggies and flowers look spectacular - good job guys!

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2014, 01:44:55 AM »
Don-- No, I haven't ever heard of that!  They've already withered and dropped, but I'll have to keep that in mind for next year as a fun experiment to try!   I do have some pumpkin blossoms out right now, but had never thought about eating them!  :)   Do they have a specific taste, or take on whatever you cook them with?  Would make one heck of a garnish, if nothing else! :)
Kat I do them like Pam. dipped in egg then cracker crumbs and fried in butter. I have done pumpkin blossoms, squash blossoms and lilies. They are a taste treat. You need to pick them when the blossoms first come out before they are clear open. An old German neighbor lady turned me on to pumpkin blossoms and said to pick them early in the morning. In the past I have grown pumpkins and squash just for the blossoms. Don

An article that shows most all of the plant is edible http://honest-food.net/2010/06/29/dining-on-daylilies/
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 01:58:00 AM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2014, 09:16:39 PM »
Our first ever successful cucumbers,a pickling that is powdery mildew resistant.

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2014, 09:30:54 PM »
Looks good spuds ...
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Char Broil SRG

Offline pz

« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2014, 12:39:21 AM »
Here's our tiny little squash babies  ;D

Offline spuds

« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2014, 02:18:21 AM »
Cool,looks nice. ;)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2014, 04:06:21 PM »
Since we're away from the garden for the better part of 2 months I'm having my neighbor take care of it and harvesting it for their eating pleasure.  They sent me a couple shots of the garden yesterday and a shot of a delicious looking tomato salad  8)

Char Broil SRG

Offline spuds

« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2014, 09:35:39 PM »
Really throwing out some produce. :P

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #112 on: July 31, 2014, 06:47:30 PM »
My favorite is green beans. Wife got bush green bean seeds this year and I just picked a couple dinners worth. As a kid I picked beans in the summer to buy school clothes, that would be just wrong sending your 10 year old kids to the bean fields now a days ;)

Offline pz

« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2014, 07:27:26 PM »
... As a kid I picked beans in the summer to buy school clothes, that would be just wrong sending your 10 year old kids to the bean fields now a days ;)

I don't know, key, sometimes I think that the entitled youth of today would not be nearly so entitled if they had to pick beans for their school clothes - nothing wrong with a little hard work to make you appreciate things  ;)

Your beans look great - we love them too - especially when they are pickled

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2014, 09:01:09 PM »
... As a kid I picked beans in the summer to buy school clothes, that would be just wrong sending your 10 year old kids to the bean fields now a days ;)

I don't know, key, sometimes I think that the entitled youth of today would not be nearly so entitled if they had to pick beans for their school clothes - nothing wrong with a little hard work to make you appreciate things  ;)

Your beans look great - we love them too - especially when they are pickled
you just reminded me how much I like pickled green beans in my Bloody Mary's.. I will have to make a batch. thanks for the reminder PZ.

Offline spuds

« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2014, 10:11:15 PM »
Love beans,we picked strawberries as kids.....

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #116 on: August 01, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »
We got our first 'harvest' last night!!    ::) ::)

The garden is growing like gangbusters, though-- the chicken poo we mixed into the soil is doing a better job than we anticipated, and it's turned into a regular jungle in there!!  The tomato plants are just gargantuan.  Turned out a lot more crowded than we anticipated!

The pumpkin plants are doing especially well-- they have a gazillion blossoms, and a few baby pumpkin starts.  They are growing SO fast-- I swear this one wasn't here yesterday. 

I'm a bit jealous of your beans, Key!!  We planted bush beans too, and not a darn one grew!!  Wondering if the seeds were old or something... we  also planted a bunch of sweet peas, but only a couple of them took off.  Those are usually about the only plant I can count on surviving!  :) 

MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2014, 02:56:03 PM »
WOW!!  That garden looks great Kat.  I learned a long time ago that chicken poo can really make a garden hot and grow up the wazoos  :D
Char Broil SRG

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #118 on: August 01, 2014, 04:44:50 PM »
Amazing how that pumpkin plant has those feelers that reach out and tie off to the wire fence, Almost alien like ;)