Author Topic: Show us your 2014 Garden  (Read 25692 times)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Re: Show us your 2014 Garden
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2014, 03:59:54 PM »
First Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato ...  Look for it at the center of the photo ... 8)

Spaghetti Squash seedlings

Bush Beans seedlings

Blooming Strawberry patch

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 07:20:41 PM »
Looks good!

My darn fruit tress in bloom got hit with 29F last night,hope I didnt lose the whole crop.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 04:10:42 PM »
Looks like my blossoms survived the frost,now the apples are starting to bloom,go out in the morning with my paint brush and play Bee,pollinating em.Saw some baby fruits on the weeping nectarine.

The variegated lime has a baby on it.The citrus doing great,nice dark green color coming on.The kale has come bloomin back,very cool.

Got peas and cukes started,and some asparagus seeds.The asparagus bed has shoots pushing up.

The bulbs bloomed late but seeing some flowers now.

Looks like a great year coming up,an awesome 75 degrees F here today.Oh,and the 2 white ducks laying an egg/day,just right for us.Nice big eggs with strong shells.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 05:18:12 PM »
Spuds-- glad to hear the frost didn't wipe out your trees!   How old are your asparagus plants?  I haven't been rooted in one place really long enough to ever start asparagus, but would love to now that I'm settled.   I planted bulbs for the first time (ever!) in Fall, and my hyacinth just bloomed last week.  Just planted some lilies and gladiolus recently, and can't wait to see those come up!

Aren't duck eggs the best? So rich and hearty.  Are your ducks Pekins?  We couldn't believe how tough the shells were to crack the first time ours started laying. 

Can't wait to get my snap peas going-- I could eat a bushel full of those just about daily!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 06:30:36 PM »
The asparagus were tiny ferns from Garden Center last spring,they put up little skinny shoots.Got 3 different types.Some are still skinny,others like a pencil,very cool.So I have 25 Martha washington crowns I ordered from Amazon due any time.Also planted some seeds,why not,I'll give it a shot.

We think the ducks are Pekins,friend gave em to us,he is concentrating more on chickens,they harvest for meat too.The males are Rouen we think.

Agree totally,duck eggs better and ducks produce eggs much longer,Im for ducks going forward.My little Khaki Campbell stopped laying when the new girls came in last fall,until then she was a reliable egg a day too,hope she gets back into it.But she went to bottom of pecking order,then the males wouldnt leave her alone,only recently has she calmed down and getting back into a routine.

Girl loves her birdies

Snookie just kind of watches em

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 06:50:38 PM »
Yep, those look like Pekins to my eye!  :)  Your black/green one looks more like a Cayuga, but the one multicolored male is most likely Rouen, like you said.  Got quite the bug eating crew there for your trees!  How great that your dogs do well around them too- Girl looks like she's just one of the flock! :)  Hope your little Khaki gets back in the swing-- stress (which males are a big source of!) can induce them to molt and stop laying for awhile, so she'll likely get back on track before too long.   

I noticed your trees are in buckets in the ground-- and I think I remember you saying they are dwarf varieties.  Can they stay in the bucket like that indefinitely, or do they outgrow them eventually?   We don't have quite the climate for citrus, but we're hoping to add some mulberries, figs, and apple trees to our place for some extra scavenging for the chickens and goats. 

Sounds like you'll have quite the asparagus crop when they get all settled!  Good luck with starting some from seeds, I've heard that's rather difficult.  Can't hurt to try, maybe you've got a special knack for it.   
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 07:00:05 PM »
Actually those are plastic rings around the trees.I agree,thought Cayuga too,but Mrs saw some Rouens like Him.I think Cayuga too. I dont have a climate for citrus either,when snow or frost I cover with trashcans and heat with Christmas lights on a thermostat,works too! Cool,eh?

This is my neighbors yard,moved in last fall.The Old Gals that lived there planted all these fantastic bulbs,he was letting em die! We got two rain falls that saved em,now his Virgin Mary looks like she was always meant to be there.Would look great at a Mission.

Complimented him today,and asked permission to photograph,he has some great daffodils too,many many varieties.Think he will water em next year.

He doesnt get it yet we kill up here to see something that isnt brown or green.Maybe,just maybe, he got it.

Nice huh?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:07:27 PM by spuds »

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 04:50:35 PM »
With weather in the mid to high 80s my garden is enjoying the heat   8)   8)
Bush Green Beans, Bush Italian Beans, and Spinach

Spaghetti Squash

Zucchini, Yellow squash, Cucumbers, and Radish

Butternut Squash

Eggplant, Jalapenos, Green and Red Bell Peppers

Corn breaking ground.  Next 3 rows to be planted when these reach 2" tall

5 types of Tomatoes

Strawberry Patch

Garden 2014
Char Broil SRG

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 04:53:38 PM »
Garden 2011 ...

Garden 2014 ...

Char Broil SRG

Offline spuds

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 05:04:40 PM »
Very nice Pete,you are a bit ahead of me yet,I need to get the tomatoes in the ground.You are looking awesome.

Offline spuds

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 09:50:50 PM »
Got the maters in,lots of worms from teeny to a fat sucker that looked like a pencil,hope thats a good sign the nutrition is right there.

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2014, 11:03:28 PM »
Got the maters in,lots of worms from teeny to a fat sucker that looked like a pencil,hope thats a good sign the nutrition is right there.
I've always believed that worms in the garden is a good thing  :)
Char Broil SRG

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2014, 11:07:28 PM »
I've read where you can train Spaghetti Squash and Butternut Squash to grow on trellises ... So, I just visited Tractor Supply and got some cattle fencing to build my trellises.

Char Broil SRG

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2014, 11:53:12 AM »
Won't be long now.  The first of many Zucchini and Yellow Squash  8)

Char Broil SRG

Offline spuds

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 10:30:03 PM »
That should work,very nice.I found some squash sprouts growing in my composter so being the good gardener I planted the things!