Author Topic: Show us your 2014 Garden  (Read 25888 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Show us your 2014 Garden
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2014, 04:29:13 PM »
Looks very healthy,NICE! ;)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline pz

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2014, 06:38:13 PM »
wow, that's impressive - our garden is still incubating in the greenhouse!

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2014, 06:42:43 PM »
I still have a BIG CHUNK OF ICE in my swimming pool.....garden season is still 2 months away and than its September and winter is right back in my face  ??? ::) :'(

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2014, 07:38:54 PM »
Holy cow, Pete, that is one gorgeous garden!   You have that space absolutely dialed in.  You guys must be so stoked for everything to ripen!

Thanks Kat.  I do enjoy a garden over a green lawn.  I can eat my garden harvest but I can't eat my lawn  ;D  ;D

Course here in California we're going to be rationing water soon and I'll let my front lawn die but NOT my garden! 
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline spuds

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2014, 01:20:41 PM »
Mrs has one of those chopped off celery ends growing in garden.That one died,kept getting molested and dug up,so tried another.

This time grew 3 inch or so roots on it,dug a hole.Filled with 30% composted material,then 75% composted layer and topped with a slimy veggie pulp 25% composted glob,on that I spread the roots and lightly covered them with dirt. Since Ive had seeds sprout in the composter figure this will be a nutrient rich medium that will stay nice and moist and just hug those roots into nirvana.

Then in same area dug more holes about shovel sized and filled with completed compost and planted some cukes and snap peas,they look real happy.They will be trained up the fence.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2014, 04:08:59 PM »
FINALLY got our garden dialed in a bit over Memorial Day weekend.   The gigantic area James had dug up for me in our field with an excavator turned out to be just way too wet with underground springs, so we had to revamp our plans.

We had a couple of raised beds off our back deck, which were awfully handy, but the chickens had taken over.  We lost most of the plants last year to curious little beaks and scratching toes.

We had my little old toyota parked next to the planters on the little parking pad, but we haven't driven it in quite some time, so figured we could use that space for better purposes.

We started by laying down some old feed sacks on the pavement portion, and moving the cement blocks to reform the planter boxes on the parking pad.

We alternated layers of compost, dirt, and 'chicken infused' straw to make a lovely, stinky compost-lasagna.

We also put in a layer of some spent grains from a local brewery in one box, just to see how that worked.

Then we took a break and had some lunch, while our tilling crew went to work.

James's next project was welding up some fencing to keep our chickens from decimating the entire garden.  Yes, welding while wearing a Kilt.  Apparently keeping his leg hair intact wasn't high on this priority list. 

Everything planted and chicken proofed!   Been almost a week, and not a single one of those mother cluckers has broken in!!  Whoo hoo!!

Here's the before and after:  we shifted the raised beds to the pavement, then planted a bunch of veggies along the fence line and in the dirt area.

Will see how it all does!   We have tomatoes, tomatillos, onions, pumpkins, sweet peppers, hot peppers, sunflowers, cucumbers, green beans, sweet peas, watermelon, cantaloupe, lettuce, carrots, zucchini, butternut squash, cabbage, strawberries, and rhubarb all crammed in there (only a couple of each type).  Most were from seed, but had some tomato, pepper, and cucumber starts from indoors, so we'll see how they handle the transplanting!

James also welded some shelves in the corner of the fencing, so I have some container pots with herbs of all sorts as well!   

Willis and Bayou found that project supervision was exhausting work.

Thanks for looking, I can't wait to start seeing some germination!  We've had fabulous weather in the low 70's, just lovely! :) 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2014, 05:19:07 PM »
Great garden and great pictures! Thanks for sharing.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2014, 07:16:25 PM »
Looks great Kat ... does the shade I see bother the garden much?  Butternut Squash love trellises.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Char Broil SRG

Offline spuds

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2014, 12:53:52 AM »
Nice job Kat,like it a LOT! ;)

Offline pz

« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2014, 01:03:00 AM »
Nice job Kat,like it a LOT! ;)

X2!

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2014, 04:13:21 AM »
Great looking garden Kat!!! Tell James I like the shot of him in his kilt!  ::) Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2014, 08:43:37 AM »
You always tell great stories Kat ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline spuds

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2014, 04:25:37 PM »
New asparagus bed is coming in like gangbusters.All the dwarf citrus have buds,the rio red grapefruit has blossomed,smells great.Tomatoes Finally showing some growth,and a couple cukes starting to take off.For some reason my snap peas just sitting there,last year they were monster growers.

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2014, 07:33:52 PM »
Looks great Kat ... does the shade I see bother the garden much?  Butternut Squash love trellises.

Thanks Pete!  The shade hasn't been too big of a problem before-- it only blocks sun during early afternoon really, so it still gets plenty of light.

Good to know with the squash and trellises! 

Great looking garden Kat!!! Tell James I like the shot of him in his kilt!  ::) Don
(DON'T ENCOURAGE HIM!!)   hehehe    He LOVES that thing.  I suspect there's a requirement in his will that he be buried in it.  :)  Took him a couple days to make, but it sure is sturdy!  I've suggested if he sews up another, he consider moving his black sewing label to somewhere other than "front and center"-- always a little awkward in public when people lean in to read what it says.   ???  :o

MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline BAM1

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2014, 07:06:10 PM »
Finally got things planted in Iowa a couple of weeks ago.  It took forever for the ground to warm up this year.  We don't have room in our yard for everything we want so us and another couple in our development rent two 20 x 50 garden plots on the edge of the city together.  $21 each and they have a free water spicket 10 feet away. 

Our two lots

32 tomato plants

24 pepper plants

BAMBQ KCBS BBQ Team
Traeger Texas model 075 w/Savannah Stoker
GMG Jim Bowie
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID and 900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Backwoods Fatboy
Charbroil SRG
Kamodo Big Joe