Author Topic: Show us your 2014 Garden  (Read 25941 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Show us your 2014 Garden
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2014, 08:56:09 PM »
WOW Bam!!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2014, 11:14:24 AM »
That's awesome that you can rent garden space, and they've got the water, etc all set up for you!  Looking forward to seeing all those tomatoes and peppers!!  :)
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2014, 11:36:50 AM »
Fabulous garden! 

I've always used tomato cages but I like the trestle system you setup.  I use a similar setup for squash and other vine growing plants but never thought about using it for tomatoes.  How well does it work?  Do you kind of intertwine the plant as it grows since tomatoes do not have clinging shoots like cucumbers have.

Looking forward to seeing how that works for you ... or have you done this in the past  :)
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline BAM1

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2014, 04:53:41 PM »
We've been using cattle panels for about 15 years now.  As they grow and start to get top heavy we intertwine and use bungee cords for the real heavy branches.
BAMBQ KCBS BBQ Team
Traeger Texas model 075 w/Savannah Stoker
GMG Jim Bowie
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID and 900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Backwoods Fatboy
Charbroil SRG
Kamodo Big Joe
2 Gateway Drum smokers
KCBS CBJ

Offline pz

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2014, 11:32:48 PM »
Well, this is pathetic when compared to what you folks have done, but here's our tiny garden.  A Harbor Freight greenhouse we purchased about 5 years ago for $199, which is still standing!  Most of the posts are destined for the deck in a bit.  The tiny fenced enclosure currently only has raspberries and eggplant installed.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2014, 12:17:29 AM »
Well, this is pathetic when compared to what you folks have done, but here's our tiny garden.  A Harbor Freight greenhouse we purchased about 5 years ago for $199, which is still standing!  Most of the posts are destined for the deck in a bit.  The tiny fenced enclosure currently only has raspberries and eggplant installed.

Hope those plants in the cage don't get away...  ;) ;D ;D ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline spuds

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2014, 12:18:30 AM »
PZ,I like it. ;) Not all of us have lots of room.My yard is tiny but I keep finding ways to cram in more,and determine what i can and cannot grow. I sure wish we had a 1/4 acre or more to grow on.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2014, 12:23:53 PM »
PZ,I like it. ;) Not all of us have lots of room.My yard is tiny but I keep finding ways to cram in more,and determine what i can and cannot grow. I sure wish we had a 1/4 acre or more to grow on.

I agree ... It's the joy of getting dirt under the fingernails  ;D ;D  Let's face it - it's awfully easy to get produce from the grocery store and/or a farmer's market but it's just not the same as growing your own!

Spuds - have you looked into "square foot gardening"?  The ultimate in getting the most out of small spaces.
Char Broil SRG

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2014, 03:18:27 PM »
I don't do big gardens any more as I don't need that much. And a big garden would take up to much of my time weeding when I could be fishing :)
Any ways I have scaled it down to just tomatoes and Jalapeño peppers. I keep them in buckets and planters so if I need to move them inside the green house I can with no problem.

Remember when it looked like this Brrrrrrr.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2014, 05:12:05 PM »
very sensible - I like the fishing part especially!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2014, 05:59:56 PM »

With the weather hitting 105ºF today ... Way too hot for early June - actually, way too hot!!! ... the old garden is producing at full throttle.  Picked these tomatoes this morning before it got too hot   8)  8)

I'm thinking a tomato, cucumber, and red onion salad tonight with the smoked chicken  ;D  Maybe make me some Pico de Gallo ...
Char Broil SRG

Offline spuds

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2014, 07:08:08 PM »

I agree ... It's the joy of getting dirt under the fingernails  ;D ;D  Let's face it - it's awfully easy to get produce from the grocery store and/or a farmer's market but it's just not the same as growing your own!

Spuds - have you looked into "square foot gardening"?  The ultimate in getting the most out of small spaces.
Yup,and containers are doing strawberries great.Did some hydroponic,ultimate space utilization but was hard to keep balanced.Next stop is aquaponics.

Hit 90F today and garden finally starting to grow.Ordered 25 more Mary Washington asparagus,thats a winner here.And got the 4 different cukes planted that are mildew resistant for another try at pickle cukes.Strawberries will be greatly expanded next year with runners from the pots in another marginal area.Doubled my rhubarb last year,and will divide the 2 plants again this year.

Making good progress this year.Mtn gardening with low temps,shade and short season makes a big learning curve.

Oh and Mrs made a potato cage.We tried before,you stacked more dirt on top as green grew.Failure.Found out the failure supposedly r/t not enough green to support plant. This time we are putting in layers,with plants on outer edge,growing out the sides instead of up.Last layer let plants grow up.Will see how that works,lots of green showing in just a couple weeks.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 07:36:29 PM by spuds »

Offline spuds

« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2014, 07:40:51 PM »
devo.....Nice setup

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2014, 09:03:45 PM »
devo.....Nice setup

Thanks, if anyone wants to build a really easy green house this is the one to build. I am not a carpenter but manged to build this about 12 years ago. I has grown some good veggies and flowers over the years. Lately it has been used for storage until I retired and gave it new panels and cleaned it up some for growing again. All you need is 4x8 walls and a support frame for the tubing. I think I used 2 inch coiled tubing like you would use for well line.  I got the screen door from the dump. It is framed for a window but never got around to putting one in. The plastic green house cover came from a farmers co-op that sells that heavy plastic. All in all I think it cost me about 3 hundred bucks to build using wood I already had. Some pics to give a better idea hopefully.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2014, 11:47:35 PM »
Devo I like your little green house and spuds I had a neighbor try the potato stack, had two of them and I was there when he dug one of them. Hardly enough potatoes for a meal. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/