Author Topic: Show us your 2014 Garden  (Read 25952 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Show us your 2014 Garden
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2014, 09:10:26 PM »
Got some green tomatoes,hooray!

Grapes just coming along really nicely

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2014, 09:32:42 PM »
Nice grapes Spuds.

Offline spuds

« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2014, 11:19:00 PM »
Todays first tomato harvest of the season  ::)  ;D ;D ;D

Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2014, 10:36:59 AM »
 Hey Spuds....Use Epson Salts to keep away slugs. A natural ingredient plus it makes the plants use fertilizer more efficient.
Also Raccoons hate the taste and will stay away. If you have a Boston fern around then a tablespoon every month or so will make it as green as it could be.  I use it all the time.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2014, 11:15:36 AM »
You warm climate guys are so lucky. In Canada we have to wait until we can move the Igloos to start our gardens.
I only grow heirlooms so they take longer. Pick some in late October if the weather holds.
Here is a cherry tomato that is not a heirloom but is a health tomato. It was released by Oregon State University in 2012.
Note the deep purple color. (Their aim was to develop a variety with the antioxidant attributes of the purple anthocyanins which have gathered interest because of their potential health benefits.)It only turns purple where the sun hits it so you have to keep the leafs trimmed. Mine look like they still have a couple of weeks to go. They are called Indigo Rose.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2014, 11:34:16 AM »
I haven't checked in here for awhile and sure some nice gardens. I envy you people in warm climate. I have picked two tomatoes so far. Kat your day lilies are beautiful. Did you ever eat any, most are edible and I did some once that were great. Like eating fried pumpkin blossoms. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2014, 11:51:43 AM »
Don-- No, I haven't ever heard of that!  They've already withered and dropped, but I'll have to keep that in mind for next year as a fun experiment to try!   I do have some pumpkin blossoms out right now, but had never thought about eating them!  :)   Do they have a specific taste, or take on whatever you cook them with?  Would make one heck of a garnish, if nothing else! :)

N. Ontario, those are some funky cool looking tomatoes!  Oregon State U is about 45 minutes from us, and they do some amazing agricultural stuff there.  It's been neat to learn a little about all the developments they've made over the years, and how neat to see their healthy tomatoes growing up North with you!   

So far we've 'harvested' two cherry tomatoes and a half a dozen snap peas.  :)   I planted LOTS of peas, but only about four or five vines sprung up... might have gotten a bum batch of seeds. :(   But our tomatoes, pumpkins, and zucchini are going gang busters! 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2014, 11:59:24 AM »
Kat..the flowers take on mostly what you eat them with..like zucchini..I take them and split them if they are big and dip them in egg then crushed crackers..Ritz, and fry them..they are fabulous, but you can also stuff them with anything. Crab meat is good so it tune, ham or chicken salad.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline spuds

« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2014, 02:38:56 AM »
Hey Spuds....Use Epson Salts to keep away slugs. A natural ingredient plus it makes the plants use fertilizer more efficient.
Also Raccoons hate the taste and will stay away. If you have a Boston fern around then a tablespoon every month or so will make it as green as it could be.  I use it all the time.
Thanks!

Love that purple Tom,I need to remember this and plant next year,like what I read about them.Put some seeds on my amazon order. ;)

http://horticulture.oregonstate.edu/purple_tomato_faq
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:44:38 AM by spuds »

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2014, 11:20:15 AM »
Here's an update on my garden ...  We're on the Oregon coast until the end of August and my neighbors are enjoying the fruits of my garden  8)  8)  No use letting a good thing go to waste  ;D ;D
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2014, 02:10:20 PM »
Pepper plants are doing a lot better in the green house. Getting a lot of peppers growing now and the plants are starting to sprout up.

Cherry tomatoes have been going strong for some time now.

The Juliet tomatoes are growing very well also. Another week or so they should be ready if the temps stay around for awhile.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 02:01:35 PM by smokendevo »

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »
Even my rose bush bloomed this year. First time in three years  ;)

Offline spuds

« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2014, 03:41:27 PM »
WTG Devo! 8)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #102 on: July 24, 2014, 08:12:26 PM »
Peppers from the neighbors to the south, tomatoes from the neighbors to the north. Nectarines and blueberries were my only  crop this year along with some basil.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline spuds

« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2014, 01:24:16 AM »
Very good TLG!