Author Topic: A batch of Kimchi  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
A batch of Kimchi
« Reply #-1 on: March 24, 2014, 04:19:44 PM »
I just got my batch of Kimchi in jars and in the fridge after fermenting two days on the counter top. I got 2 1/2 quarts. I will eat up the 1/2 quart pretty fast since I am hungry for some, going to have them on pork sandwiches tomorrow night. It is great on about any sandwich or as a side to some good BBQ.

My wife is cooking tonight, fish from Capt. D's!  ;) Don

If you're interested here is my recipe http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2660.msg28842#msg28842

Mixed and ready to set for two days

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:27:13 PM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: A batch of Kimchi
« on: March 24, 2014, 04:27:35 PM »
Oh yeah that looks good Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: A batch of Kimchi question for Don
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 04:33:22 PM »
Don..question.  How long does this last..I found some in my outside frig..Is it any good? It smells ok  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Pappymn

A batch of Kimchi
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 04:49:18 PM »
Never had it. Need to fix that
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: A batch of Kimchi question for Don
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 04:59:40 PM »
Don..question.  How long does this last..I found some in my outside frig..Is it any good? It smells ok  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

My recipe does not say how long so I looked it up, in Korea they keep it 2 to 3 years but didn't say how it was stored. All I read said it will keep a long time. I would say a good time would be 3 months, mine never lasts that long. Don't use if there is any mold. It will continue to ferment slowly in the fridge and get more sour. I like to let it set at least a week before using. If it is a little fizzy I would not use it. My son is always looking at the use by labels on the stuff in my fridge, I tell him back in the ice box age, if it smelled good and looked good you ate it! Hope this helps Pam. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 07:02:21 PM »
I have a strong distaste for kimchi, but that looks pretty good (from the outside).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 09:15:50 PM »
I have a strong distaste for kimchi, but that looks pretty good (from the outside).
Homemade is a lot better than any of the store bought! I used to get it from a Korean lady and hers was the best and this recipe is close. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 05:48:58 AM »
Thank you,on my to do list.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 07:02:12 AM »
Looking good Don!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 09:39:40 AM »
good stuff.
thanks
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 12:11:11 PM »
Oh Don, if only I had known you years ago while my father was still alive, this recipe would have saved him a lot of trial (and mostly) error,  and saved me a lot of air fresheners!

My dad was a pretty quirky individual, and prone to getting on certain "kicks" of one sort or another, and sticking relentlessly with that particular item/thought/food for AGES.  Well, he went through a kimchi phase for a number of months, during which there was never less than three quarts from the local Asian market in the fridge at any given time.   

Not satisfied with mere store-bought kimchi, he decided he was going to make his own.  And rather than bother his pretty little head to look up an actual recipe, he insisted on doing it his own 'adventurous' way, guessing the ingredients as he made experiment after experiment... after experiment...

His basic premise was that if you put cabbage, vinegar, some kind of hot stuff, and sugar together in a jar and left it on the counter, it would ferment into something akin to kimchi.  His initial container of choice was a used sour cream tub, but after the first kimchi bomb exploded and I made him clean the cabbage shrapnel off the underside of the cabinets, he switched to glass jars with the lids left loose.  Unfortunately, leaving the lids open let all of those lovely fermenting cabbage aromas seep out into the kitchen and permeate everything on the entire main floor.  (Suffice to say it was not helpful for my life as a single girl trying to date--  there just is not enough Febreeze in the world to disguise kimchi-gone-awry smells in your furniture.) 

Thankfully, his tastebuds eventually got tired of eating the failed experiments (he refused to throw them away, and would eat them just out of principal to prove to me they weren't really all that bad and I was overreacting about their pungency.) 

He would have gotten a huge kick out of you, Don, and (God forbid), might even have learned a thing or two about successful fermentation!!  :) 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 01:02:17 PM »
Oh Don, if only I had known you years ago while my father was still alive, this recipe would have saved him a lot of trial (and mostly) error,  and saved me a lot of air fresheners!

He would have gotten a huge kick out of you, Don, and (God forbid), might even have learned a thing or two about successful fermentation!!  :)
I would have liked your Dad Kat! When I made this the first time I found I only had the rings and no lids for the Ball jars. I fixed that I put about 4 layers of plastic wrap over then screwed the lids on. After about 4 days my wife said if you don't get that stinking stuff out of the fridge I am throwing it out.  ::) The smell went right through the plastic. I think it smells good! I did have a garage fridge so moved it there and saved it. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 01:47:30 PM »

I would have liked your Dad Kat! When I made this the first time I found I only had the rings and no lids for the Ball jars. I fixed that I put about 4 layers of plastic wrap over then screwed the lids on. After about 4 days my wife said if you don't get that stinking stuff out of the fridge I am throwing it out.  ::) The smell went right through the plastic. I think it smells good! I did have a garage fridge so moved it there and saved it. Don

Great stories. I love kimchi too.  First time I had it was when I was in Korea, when I got back to the states I bought the store bought stuff, it was okay but just not the same as what I had I'm Korea.  Years later I'm working with a Korean lady and was invited over with several co-workers for a poker party and she brought out her kimchi and I was in love again.  I was single at the time but she alread had a boy friend living with her, so I'm SOL on this one.  Anyways I did get the benefit of her homemade kimchi during the time we worked at that company because she would bring some on and give it to me at work.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline pz

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 03:55:04 PM »
That looks really tasty, Don!

Offline Iceman567

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 04:55:14 PM »
That's what I'm talking about  :)
I HAD a recipe from a guy that I was stationed with at Ft Leonard Wood, MO. His wife was Korean and made this dish all the time (of course). During the course of many moves since then, the recipe got lost, STOLEN or otherwise.
Your recipe looks to be about the same. Going to 'cook' some up.  :P
Bacon? Did somebody say Bacon?
Broil King Baron
Weber Smoky Joe
Cuisinart portable gasser.