Author Topic: Need Some Seafood Assistance  (Read 892 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Need Some Seafood Assistance
« Reply #-1 on: March 31, 2014, 09:32:35 PM »
My Wife and I have never been fans of Lobster. Now this evening we we watching "Master Chef Canada" and they were cooking live Lobster.

The one thing they talked about was if you over cooked it it would taste like rubber and not tender. I have never cooked a live lobster always frozen tails. I have access to live lobster and now I would like to try.

Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Need Some Seafood Assistance
« on: April 01, 2014, 12:02:31 AM »
This may site may be of some help.

http://www.lobsterhelp.com/cooking-lobster.html
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:58:56 AM »
Checked out that site--sounds good, BUT a bit more complicated than I do (when I can afford them!).  Just split the entire lobster from head to tail on the bottom side, butterfly as best I can, grill bottom side down for several minutes--when shell gets really bright red, you may be too late.  Turn over, have your melted butter, salted with garlic ready, shell side down and baste with butter.   Watch closely here, and when the meat turns opaque, it's done!   Yes, VERY easy to overcook, which makes it like chewing rubber.   Too expensive to do that.   Watch your adult beverage intake BEFORE you cook lobster!

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 02:55:11 PM »
I'm married to a Maine gal, so I've learned a few things about lobster cookery from her.  She says boiling is the only way to cook one.  That is certainly the simplest way, too.  I think the secret is to make certain to have a big pot of water (totally immerse the lobster) at a rapid boil.  For lobsters less than 2 lbs (we buy 1.5 lb mostly) boil for exactly 15 minutes.  The critter will go from blackish red to bright red but that will happen a bit before it is done.  Serve while still hot.  Drawn butter and lobster go together like cake and ice cream!

I have been successful at grilling lobsters too, even though my wife doesn't like them that way.  Boil for 3 or 4 minutes then move it to a cutting board and slice it in half lengthwise using a sharp butcher knife or cleaver.  Have grill standing by, heated to medium-high heat (glowing bed of coals or about 400-450 on my Memphis pellet machine.  After splitting, coat the lobster with well seasoned oil (I like EVOO with garlic and a few black peppercorns).  Grill shell side down for 6 minutes then flip over to meat side for 4 minutes.  GrillGrates will leave gorgeous marks on the meat and impart more grilled flavor to the meat.  Serve immediately.

Lobsters are intimidating because they are expensive and we're all afraid of over- or under-cooking them, but these methods work well for the size most of us get.  If you've got larger ones see the article Vegan Cajun posted for a chart with longer times.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 04:35:32 PM »
Be sure and listen for them to yell when they are dunked in the hot water, which is how I do mine. Scary.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ. 
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 04:57:16 PM »
All good advice, many thanks ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 05:13:25 PM »
Steam them... 10 minutes per pound
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 05:56:22 PM »
Just my 2 cents worth.  When I cook tails for Kimmie and I will split them in the middle coat with butter and grill meat side down for a few mins then flip and cook another 2 min or so works for me.

I did over cook tails once before and it was not a good thing  ???
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 06:31:17 PM »
Ditto bbqchef if they are Maine lobster.  And you can fill the pot with lobsters which is different than a link here indicates.
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312