Author Topic: Don't ya just hate a whining turtle?  (Read 2255 times)

Offline Ka Honu

Don't ya just hate a whining turtle?
« Reply #-1 on: April 07, 2014, 04:16:07 PM »
No? Maybe this will convince you:

I've had my sous vide circulator for a couple of months and after a number of cooks I'm about ready to put it on the market.

I've found that the "quick cooks" (an hour or two for steak, chicken breast, etc.) are great. Unfortunately my longer cooks (6-72 hours for chuck steak, country ribs, short ribs, etc.) seem to change the texture of the meat in a way I really don't like. Mushy meat is just wrong and depending on the cut, the longer cooks seem to push it somewhere unacceptable in that direction.  I've been using Choice grade meats and my normal settings are the temp for medium or medium rare using the minimum amount of time in the recommended range.

It could be the method itself or maybe the learning curve is too steep for reptiles. In any event, I'm looking for some suggestions on what I'm doing wrong before I consign this thing to Craigslist.

Mahalo.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Don't ya just hate a whining turtle?
« on: April 07, 2014, 04:27:51 PM »
I never did understand why you would cook anything that long but that's me. Seems like you can't cook that much at a time for a crowd anyways. I'll give you a Dollar for it.  Pam ;*))
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 04:57:53 PM »
I want to try it,and can see the doodad has uses for sausage too,so sure I'll get my moneys' worth.I imagine its a bit like sour dough bread,takes a good while to get up to par,ie,steep learning curve.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 05:04:59 PM »
Ka Hona:  I have experimented with cheap methods trying to duplicate Sous Vide cooking.  My wife just did not like the textures on the meat just like you mentioned about being mushy.  I liked the flavors, but did have to sear some of the meat to make it better.  My wife has the votes to over rule me using this method.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 05:20:08 PM »
I'll up Pam's bid to $2.  Seriously, how much would you be looking to get?
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Northshore

Don't ya just hate a whining turtle?
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 05:33:23 PM »
Asked a chef about it, his opinion was only for thick cuts or meat,fish poultry you do not want browned.
He claims a 2-3 inch t-bone, rib steak or sirloin done to 130 then seared or a minute or two is great. 
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 06:02:14 PM »
Mr Turtle, i don't think of it as whining more like a Critic of a product. If you are having a difficult time with it I'm sure I will be the same and don't need a new toy.

I tried the dry bag aging, I'm still not sold. I do want want to try again but under a more controlled environment and a much thicker loin.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 06:15:19 PM »
Paul , I'm still forming my option on this cooker type.
Fortunately I've only got $100 in mine.
I like it for seafood, ok for chicken breasts, ok for steaks or chops when the weather is too nasty to grill.
I don't like steaks or chops as well as cooked over a charcoal fire.
It's been great for scallops , I always tended to under or overcook them on the grill.
Rare tuna , med-rare salmon cooked then seared in a cast iron skillet were very good.
In fixture I'll probably use mainly for seafood .
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 07:54:56 PM »
My sister is a trained chef.  I asked her about sous vide cooking a while back.  She had nothing but great things to say about cooking seafood.  After that the praises got to be mighty small.  I really like what I have been seeing with the seafood.  Not totally convinced about other protein, however.  Still researching and asking questions.

I'll see Sliding Billy's bid and raise it to $5.00.

Art 
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 09:51:11 PM »
Turtle I just made some short ribs and lowered the 72 hours to around 56 hours. I found that the texture was much less tender. They did not fall apart when searing and had a great texture/flavor.

I hope you give it more time and experiment a bit before putting your circulator back on the market.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 04:50:42 AM »
I was told by a cook, that he never uses temperatures under 140°F on SV-cooking, because the meat becomes mushy otherwise.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 08:47:09 AM »
Looks like you are just being honest Turtle!! Many of us who try something new and put some money and time  into the venture want it to be successful and are not always honest about the outcome. Glad to see you are. I just never could see the SV cooking myself. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 10:07:43 AM »
I don't own one but I used a home made on once for beef ribs. Only once and that was the last time.

Heres some good pro & cons

Pros:

Sounds cool, and oh so French.

Prevents waste.

Prevents overcooking.

Two words: portion control.

Three words: internal temperature control.

You can train a monkey to do it.

Preserves flavor of fruits and vegetables rather than having flavor and nutrients wash away in the cooking liquid.

Cons:

You can train a monkey to do it.

It’s unnatural — you’re cooking food in plastic for chrissakes!

Alters natural flavor and texture of food.

It does so by altering the natural exchange of heat and fluids inherent in any cooking process.

It turns to seafood to mush.

Beef becomes some odd, never-before-seen-in-nature form of medium-rare throughout the meat (not just the center), and attains an odd, compressed, texture.

Marinates the hell out of whatever has been so encased.

Nothing gets crispy, browned or charred. (Chefs will tell you they “finish” things under a broiler, but it ain’t the same thing.)

Finally, the biggest con: YOU’RE PAYING TOP DOLLAR FOR FOOD THAT’S PREPARED THE SAME WAY AS BIRDSEYE AND STOUFFER’S!

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 12:03:43 PM »
Thanks for all the responses - seems like I (and more importantly, SWMBO) are not the only disappointed doubters. Interesting that one of the main "does well" foods is fish which, since we eat most of our fish raw or barely seared, never really got a chance.  We've agreed to have a "fish off" with a couple of types of seafood prepared both in and out of the bath. More as it happens.

Also, if necessary I have it presold (for more than $5) to a friend whose son will love it as a graduation gift.
]
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 12:04:41 PM »
M2C  So far the meals I've cooked with my Anova SV have been a big hit around my house.  Mrs. LVC cannot get over how tender and juicy the meats have turned out using the SV, and I have to agree.  I haven't done any very long cooks with it yet, nor have I tried seafood, but the steaks, chicken, and pork chops have all been great. 
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)