Author Topic: jalapeno paste  (Read 3545 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: jalapeno paste
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 06:51:32 PM »
We roast and freeze anywhere from two to four bushels of green chile each season (usually around Labor Day) to use all year, as opposed to blistering and using right away, have a hint which I learned recently that works.   IF you like the "roasted" flavor, when you use the chile (or any pepper), DON'T rinse the peel (skin) off with water.  Just pull/pick it off.   Water ruins the roasted flavor.   Learn something new every day!
Nice tip,thank you.You in NM by any chance,those folks sure know peppers.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline aliengriller

Re: jalapeno paste
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 01:05:06 PM »
Yes, in New Mexico--Roswell, to be exact.   The alien capital of the universe.   At one time there was more chile grown around here than around Hatch.   Then the dairies moved in and the farmers can make more money (with less labor, since chile has to be hand picked) growing corn, silage, alfalfa and other grains for dairy food.   Our favorite truck farm didn't even open this past summer--boo hoo.  There are others and the supermarkets always bring them in from Hatch and around there.   Prefer locally grown, BUT.   You haven't lived until you smell the fresh green chile roasting in those big gas fired tumblers!   Wish I could bottle it to sell, I'd be rich!