Author Topic: Protein Pancakes  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Protein Pancakes
« Reply #-1 on: April 11, 2014, 12:30:15 PM »
Here is a healthy alternative to pancakes without using flour.  I got the original recipe out of a Beach Body Insanity Elite Nutrition book.  The changes I made was I substituted 4 egg whites for the Whey protein powder, I used Quaker Steel Cut Oats instead of the instant oatmeal, and I added the vanilla extract, cinnamon, Stevia, and Agave Nectar. 

The main ingredients.
4 egg whites
1 whole egg, cage free
1 serving (1/4 cup) steel cut oats, cooked according to directions
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 package (1g) Stevia sweetner (not pictured)
1 Tbsp Agave Nectar

1) Cook the steel cut oats according to the directions
2) Seperate the 4 egg whites, discard the yolks
3) Add the 1 whole egg
4) Add in the vanilla extract, cinnamon, Stevia and scramble throughly
5) Add in the cooked steel cut oats and mix well
5) Pour into medium hot skillet, I use a non-stick with a very light spray of cooking spray

6) Cook at medium low until set enough to flip over

7) Remove from pan and pour on top the Agave Nectar

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Protein Pancakes
« on: April 11, 2014, 12:43:34 PM »
They look real good.  How do they taste?
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 12:49:41 PM »
They look real good.  How do they taste?

They taste much better with the added flavoring I put in them, has the oatmeal texture tase, which is not bad.  The original recipe was really bland so I fixed it up without ruining the nutritional value of the meal.
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 02:11:17 PM »
Thanks LVC, I need to lose a few pounds to make room for summer smoking ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 12:08:30 AM »

Same here, my last visit to the doctor a month ago was not as good as I had hoped it would be.  Blood tests went the wrong direction, everything was going north, my weight, cholesterol, glucose, and blood pressure was up.  I was given a warning that my current Rx would have to have dosages increased and additional Rx would be necessary if I don't get things under control in the next 3 months.  I see the doctor again in June so I'm working my butt off to get things under control by then.
----------------------

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 01:58:55 AM »
Looks great Cajun for healthy!!! I'll have one with maple syrup!  ::) Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2014, 02:12:37 AM »

Same here, my last visit to the doctor a month ago was not as good as I had hoped it would be.  Blood tests went the wrong direction, everything was going north, my weight, cholesterol, glucose, and blood pressure was up.  I was given a warning that my current Rx would have to have dosages increased and additional Rx would be necessary if I don't get things under control in the next 3 months.  I see the doctor again in June so I'm working my butt off to get things under control by then.

I hear you there! In the trim down to Fat Boy instead of Fat Boy Large mode myself
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 03:21:55 AM »
LVC, looks like a delicious and healthy alternative. Keep up the hard work of being healthy.

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2014, 03:38:00 AM »
this looks interesting . thanks just the right for passover (no flour ) .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 04:05:04 AM »
That really looks good. Bookmarked!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2014, 01:01:36 PM »

I hear you there! In the trim down to Fat Boy instead of Fat Boy Large mode myself

Yeah it makes reading the LTBBQ website a challange, I read a good recipe that was posted and want to try it then reality sets in and out comes the skinless chicken breast and steamed/grilled vegetables.   Hopefully if all goes well with the next doctor visit the WSM will see a few racks of ribs and pork butts. :P
----------------------

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2014, 01:07:52 PM »
LVC, looks like a delicious and healthy alternative. Keep up the hard work of being healthy.

Thanks, 24 Hour Fitness has become my new hangout.  I still read the LTBBQ website while on the elliptical, it causes me to sweat and salivate at the same time.  :P
----------------------

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
Looks great Cajun for healthy!!! I'll have one with maple syrup!  ::) Don

Coming right up, with 1tsp of maple syrup.  :P
----------------------

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 02:06:33 PM »
Looks interesting - even good! I hope you meet your goals! I will be trying this. Your modifications look like they make a big difference.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 11:06:29 PM »
Looks interesting - even good! I hope you meet your goals! I will be trying this. Your modifications look like they make a big difference.

Thanks, I've lost 12 pounds in the past 6 weeks, 18 more to go.  Also if you choose to use instant oatmeal you won't need the Stevia, vanilla extract, and cinnamon, there will be enough flavor from the the instant oatmeal.  I still added the Agave Nectar when I did use the instant oatmeal, but now I use the steel cut instead.
----------------------