Author Topic: Oh NO!!!!! A Gopher  (Read 4793 times)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
Oh NO!!!!! A Gopher
« Reply #-1 on: April 17, 2014, 03:14:09 PM »
Bummer !!!!!!!!!!  A Gopher from my neighbor's yard - bad neighbor! >:(   >:(  - has found Nirvana ... My garden  ???

Woke up this morning and found this in my spaghetti Squash bed

Off to the my local Ace Hardware only to learn that I'm limited to a trap which I don't think would work, some kind of pellets to dump down a hole, or the "Giant Destroyer".  As per the instructions I lit it, placed burning fuse end into the hole, covered the hole with a chunk of wood, and sealed the gas in the hole with dirt around the cover ... Sure hope it works!!!  With vegetables I guess you can't use the GOOD stuff but even if I could to kill this beast the State of California would never allow me to use it.  Time will tell.  I got 3 more Giant Destroyers to use.  Been in this house for 13 years and this is the first problem I've had with a dirty rotten low life scum bucket gopher!!  ...  But I mean that in a nice way

Any and all remedies would be greatly appreciated, as long as it's legal  ;)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:49:54 PM by smoker pete »
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Jaxon

Re: Oh NO!!!!! A Gopher
« on: April 17, 2014, 04:22:19 PM »
I hope you destroy the little varmint AND his buddies.  Don't let 'em get started on that garden.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 04:23:18 PM »
Hope you got the dastardly little bugger!   

My grandma (and others since) have sworn by putting a stick of juicy fruit gum down their hole.  Apparently the gopher/mole will eat the gum and die from it (not entirely sure how that works).  Might be worth Googling to see if that's an old wives tale, or if it's actually helpful!

Suppose if nothing else, your planter beds will smell fruity, or you'll have gophers with nice fresh breath?  :)

We've used those granules in the past, and they do work...  but the only concern is if you (or neighbors) have dogs, they might chew on the deceased pest and then themselves get sick/poisoned from the gopher bait. 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 04:34:08 PM »
Suppose if nothing else, your planter beds will smell fruity, or you'll have gophers with nice fresh breath?

... or the lovely scent of a dead gopher you can't locate to dispose of.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline hikerman

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 04:59:50 PM »
Hope you got the dastardly little bugger!   

My grandma (and others since) have sworn by putting a stick of juicy fruit gum down their hole.  Apparently the gopher/mole will eat the gum and die from it (not entirely sure how that works).  Might be worth Googling to see if that's an old wives tale, or if it's actually helpful!

Suppose if nothing else, your planter beds will smell fruity, or you'll have gophers with nice fresh breath?  :)

A few years back I had a mole problem in my backyard, so I had a chat with the pest control contractor who services our office bldg. He told me to put Juicy Fruit down one of the holes along the mole's run. But he stressed that you can't touch the gum. Open the stick carefully and by holding the stick by the wrapper drop into the hole. It must have worked as not long after there were no new mole runs.
The gum cannot be digested by the rodents and they either starve or dehydrate causing death.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 05:04:45 PM »
Just call Carl the groundskeeper, he will take care of it.

Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 05:40:24 PM »

A few years back I had a mole problem in my backyard, so I had a chat with the pest control contractor who services our office bldg. He told me to put Juicy Fruit down one of the holes along the mole's run. But he stressed that you can't touch the gum. Open the stick carefully and by holding the stick by the wrapper drop into the hole. It must have worked as not long after there were no new mole runs.
The gum cannot be digested by the rodents and they either starve or dehydrate causing death.

any gum or does it have to be juicy fruit.  I normally go out in the morning and put a hose down a hole and hope he can swim.  turn the water on full blast and leave it for 10 minutes.  if it does work the 1st time try again the next morning.  works all the time.   
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 06:08:49 PM »
I like a pellet gun. Have a car dealership across my back lane. Get a few every year ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 06:20:01 PM »
I didn't know he was a vegetarian.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 06:32:05 PM »
good luck Pete.My neighbor with the 179 cats has kept our pests in check so having a cat lady isnt always a bad thing.

Hope ya get that little pest,I want to see your awesome squashes in full glory,your plants are so healthy.Oh,and I did catch a vole in one of those spring type traps a billion years ago,dont know if they are legal or not nowadays.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 07:15:06 PM »
Well my father had a gopher problem when I was young. First he stood outside over the hole with a 12 gauge waiting for the rodent to pop his head out. After the neighbors called the cops and then the cops had a brief discussion with my father he decided that was not the best tactic.

So then I watched him pour a couple gallons of gasoline down the hole and he waited a few minutes. Then he tossed a lit road flare by the hole and a flame shot out of it as the fumes lit :o

He later spent time digging up the yard to locate the dead gopher. After a half day of digging he finally found the partially charred remains he called me outside to show me.  ::)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2014, 07:20:57 PM »
I hear that M-80's will exterminate the little critters  ::)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2014, 07:22:56 PM »
Hook up a hose to your exhaust and fish it down in the hole.  Stand at the top of the hole with a shotgun, and start your engine.  You know the rest.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2014, 07:52:45 PM »
I hear that M-80's will exterminate the little critters  ::)

Wish that I could ... But this is California  >:(   :( 

Just call Carl the groundskeeper, he will take care of it.

I love Carl and that movie  ;D  :D
Char Broil SRG

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 08:10:14 PM »
KNOCK on WOOD ... 2 days now without any sign of that rotten dirty flea bitten rodent!  Do I dare hope that the "Giant Destroyer" destroyed that beast?  Time will tell but right now ... it's looking hopeful  :)
Char Broil SRG