Author Topic: Oh NO!!!!! A Gopher  (Read 4795 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Oh NO!!!!! A Gopher
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 08:21:45 AM »
KNOCK on WOOD ... 2 days now without any sign of that rotten dirty flea bitten rodent!  Do I dare hope that the "Giant Destroyer" destroyed that beast?  Time will tell but right now ... it's looking hopeful  :)

Now you got to dig up the yard and find the remains to make sure he's dead! 8)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2014, 09:56:00 AM »
KNOCK on WOOD ... 2 days now without any sign of that rotten dirty flea bitten rodent!  Do I dare hope that the "Giant Destroyer" destroyed that beast?  Time will tell but right now ... it's looking hopeful  :)

Now you got to dig up the yard and find the remains to make sure he's dead! 8)

I'm hoping he died in my neighbor's yard ... from where he came from!!!   :D :D
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Pappymn

Oh NO!!!!! A Gopher
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2014, 10:09:15 AM »
Muebe is wise. Time to get out the backhoe. We have to make sure we finish the job ???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2014, 10:58:11 AM »
As kids, the gophers did not stand a chance.  They were all over my grandmas property.  My Uncle and I, poured water down the hole, then held a glass quart jar over the hole.  The critters would rush out of the hole into the jar, and we quickly put a lid on it.  This was a humane way to catch them, and we always knew when we were successful.

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 12:08:09 PM »
I'm thinking it's not a gopher but a mole cause I have not seen any mounts of dirt.  Whatever this beast is he's still around munching on the roots alone.  He's slowly killing off my Spaghetti Squash plants  >:(  >:(

Char Broil SRG

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 12:24:47 PM »
thats a shame,I hope you nail that pest!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline pz

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 02:22:58 PM »
I've tried everything from the Giant Destroyer, traps, to even a pitchfork when I see the plants shaking, but none of those worked for me.  However, I did manage to find a solution that has kept my plants gopher free for two years now, but it is a pain.  I built rabbit wire cylinders and studk them in the holes where my wife intended to plant - then filled in with dirt.  Essentially, each plant now has a cylinder of rabbit wire protecting it.  The trouble was worth it for me because we only had a couple dozen plants.

I'm planning to build planters much like you have, and will put a rabbit wire liner in them - I doubt I'll see any of those pesky buggers in my dirt again.

One last thing that seemed to work are these gopher spikes from Harbor Freight that periodically send out a nasty (to the gopher) vibration through the dirt.  Although mine were battery powered, they are now evidently solar powered.

http://www.harborfreight.com/solar-mole-chaser-94661.html

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 02:48:51 PM »
Well my father had a gopher problem when I was young. First he stood outside over the hole with a 12 gauge waiting for the rodent to pop his head out. After the neighbors called the cops and then the cops had a brief discussion with my father he decided that was not the best tactic.

So then I watched him pour a couple gallons of gasoline down the hole and he waited a few minutes. Then he tossed a lit road flare by the hole and a flame shot out of it as the fumes lit :o

He later spent time digging up the yard to locate the dead gopher. After a half day of digging he finally found the partially charred remains he called me outside to show me.  ::)

Sounds like you come from a family of recovering pacifists..... ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

Oh NO!!!!! A Gopher
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 06:19:38 PM »
Get the backhoe out. This is serious ???
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 07:35:31 PM »
Get the backhoe out. This is serious ???

Wish that I could Pappy!!

I'm planning to build planters much like you have, and will put a rabbit wire liner in them - I doubt I'll see any of those pesky buggers in my dirt again.

One last thing that seemed to work are these gopher spikes from Harbor Freight that periodically send out a nasty (to the gopher) vibration through the dirt.  Although mine were battery powered, they are now evidently solar powered.

http://www.harborfreight.com/solar-mole-chaser-94661.html

This Fall I'm going to do just what you suggest PZ.  Going to empty the planters on the retaining wall, line them with chicken wire and fill them back up with Planter's Mix.  Nothing worse than doing all that hard rewarding work only to have some low life fur ball reap the rewards!!  >:(  :(

Going to visit my local Harbor Freight tomorrow and pick up a couple of those Mole Chasers ... For $10 I'll try anything.

Drives away burrowing pests, moles and gophers in minutes
    Works day and night
    Emits sonic tone every 30 seconds
    Covers 6000 sq.ft.
    Environmentally friendly
    No electricity required

Char Broil SRG

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 07:40:17 PM »
One of these are great on varmints ;D

► 5:35► 5:35

Mar 1, 2012 - Uploaded by Brandon401401
Subscribe 105,984. 6:18 RUGER 10-22 BOLT LOCK MODIFICATION "AUTO RELEASE ...
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline pz

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2014, 11:37:27 PM »
Hope the mole chasers, smoker pete - I've 2 battery powered units in the small garden and they seem to avoid the spot.  I thought about chicken wire, but was concerned that like mice, those nasty gophers might squeeze through the wire due to their compressible bodies.  The mesh I chose to use is available in rolls of various sizes at Home Depot, Lowes, etc., and I suspect just about any home/garden store. The mesh was about 1/4 x 1/4 inch and there's no way those buggers are getting through that  ;D

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 11:16:14 AM »
Hope the mole chasers, smoker pete - I've 2 battery powered units in the small garden and they seem to avoid the spot.  I thought about chicken wire, but was concerned that like mice, those nasty gophers might squeeze through the wire due to their compressible bodies.  The mesh I chose to use is available in rolls of various sizes at Home Depot, Lowes, etc., and I suspect just about any home/garden store. The mesh was about 1/4 x 1/4 inch and there's no way those buggers are getting through that  ;D

Thanks on the update about the size of the mesh.  We have a Tractor Supply down the road and they carry all sorts of stuff.

You mention that you have 2 battery powered units in a small garden and they avoid the spot -> Does that mean they avoid your garden of where the 2 units are?  I'm hoping they avoid your garden!
Char Broil SRG

Offline smoker pete

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 11:31:16 AM »
First 2 Spaghetti Squash flowers ... If nothing else at least they got to this stage without having their roots munched!!

Char Broil SRG

Offline pz

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 12:45:09 PM »
You mention that you have 2 battery powered units in a small garden and they avoid the spot -> Does that mean they avoid your garden of where the 2 units are?  I'm hoping they avoid your garden!
I sure am envious of your garden!  We'd love to be able to grow what you have!

This small plot is an irregular shape that is likely about 200 square feet in size, with one edge close to the house.  We placed the two units on the far edge when we saw the dirt piles approaching the plot and the progression of tunnels toward the garden appeared to stop.  I don't know it it was just coincidence, but we haven't seen a dirt pile near that spot for the last 3 years or so.  I can't say for sure the units are the absolute reason why, but it sure is nice to see a clean garden plot instead of those awful piles of tunnel dirt.  Interestingly, the unit holds 2 "C" batteries, and they last the entire season before we put them away in the fall.