Author Topic: BBQ Capital Cook-Off -- Lexington, NC  (Read 2281 times)

Offline MoHuka

Re: BBQ Capital Cook-Off -- Lexington, NC
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 03:22:17 AM »
Hey Hub,

As you know I just became a KCBS CBJ and one of the things I am having a hard time getting my head around is how to judge fairly in the taste category.  As example I usually like my ribs dry so if I had to judge a rib all sauced up it seems I would have a hard time judging it fairly as my brain would tell me something different.  Other than during the class itself I have not judged yet so maybe it is not as difficult as I think it will be

I would guess that your offerings were superb and maybe you faced a group of judges that prefer a different kind/style of superb BBQ....As a judge with no experience I would bet that you could present the same BBQ to another group of judges and get a better result...as Jaxon says...Just sayin'
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline Hub

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 07:45:04 AM »
You are correct.  Aside from chemical analysis and computer programming there is no way to take subjectivity out of judging.  It is very interesting, however, that the top teams build up enough of a popular flavor profile and perfect the duplication of it sufficiently to almost always stay in the top finishers.  Those of us who compete less frequently don't have as much consistency.

As to judging what is not your "taste" the best method is an open mind.  When you judge think not "this isn't what I like" but think "is this good barbeque whether it fits my preferences or not".  The best judges don't judge to their own tastes, but instead judge to what presents their palate with excellent preparation.  Once you begin active judging you'll discover that there is a distinctive "Contest Style" of barbeque taste, tenderness and appearance.  There isn't much regionality.  There isn't a lot of innovation in new directions (I've opined that in some Bull Sheet articles).  But there is intense focus on contest style.  It is legitimate despite its faults.

You seem quite sincere about judging and judging well.  Here's a link to a series of articles I wrote on the subject a while back -- they were widely discussed and distributed in KCBS Rep circles.  http://www.thebbqforum.com/bbq-forum-comments.html

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Palmyrasteak

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 10:41:25 PM »
Good luck!  ;)

Offline MoHuka

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 11:38:36 PM »
Hi Hub,

I wrote a reply to your post last week but see not that it did not take... basically said thanks for the links to your articles, I read them and saved them to a folder on my desktop.  I plan to read them prior to any contests that I might be judging just to get the proper perspective

Since that post I have registered to judge the American Royal....thanks again for your help

..Greg
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline Hub

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 07:37:37 AM »
Judging the Royall is one of life's great pleasures and challenges.  I judged the Invitational and the Open three years ago and had a ball!  Best advice I can give you is take a folding chair with you.  You'll spend hours in line because there are so many judges to sign in and get seated.  Once you're at the table you can stash the folding chair beneath your seat.  You'll meet lots and lots of nice people and you'll see some great sights.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2014, 01:14:33 PM »
You guys must be the "mudders" of BBQ.

Art
Indeed!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.