Author Topic: Rabbits  (Read 893 times)

Offline Pappymn

Rabbits
« Reply #-1 on: May 15, 2014, 09:19:13 PM »
I have a small lot in a city. I have been fighting rabbits for years. All winter long they chew on my bushes, all summer long they chew on my plants.

Just spent 10 minutes watching 6 of them scamper and play in my yard and my neighbors.  SIX OF THEM.

The live trap is coming out tomorrow. I don't have an appropriate gun to shoot them. Plus I am pretty sure in Minnesota they have more rights then I do ???

Any deterrents that you have used that you can recommend?

Only good rabbit is a dead rabbit.  :(
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Re: Rabbits
« on: May 15, 2014, 09:26:51 PM »
Can't help ya Pappy. Seems to be more Rabbits around here also >:(

A pellet gun I would think would only hurt them not kill them.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 09:27:31 PM »
BBQ them wabbits Pappy!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline nylic76

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 09:34:05 PM »
Go to Walmart and buy a gallon of Liquid Fence deer and rabbitt
 repellent.  Even better, go to amazon and type liquid fence in search box.  Much better buy.  I buy the 40 oz concentrate.  No problems with deer or rabitts since I started using it.  Read the reviews on amazon.  Very positive.  WARNING!!!!  It is the most vile smelling stuff you've ever sniffed.  The smell is gone in a few hours.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:17:05 PM by nylic76 »
SRG
Big Easy
Weber Kettle
Traeger Junior
Broilmaster Gas & GrillGrates
12" A-MAZE-N Smoker Tube

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 09:38:31 PM »
I used to snare rabbits when I was 12 or 13. Snare wire is cheep and they don't last very long after they get caught up in it. Rabbit stew is pretty good also if you are up to skinning them out. Its not everyones cup of tea but if you know what your doing you got some fine meat for the stew pot   ;)

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 09:56:05 PM »
I was thinking a marinade and a spice rub, a couple of hours @ 225F ought to to do it. :)

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 10:09:34 PM »
Dem Wascally Wabbits need to be cooked up for sure. A good high velocity pellet gun will give you a one shot kill with no problems as long as it doesn't violate a season or shooting in city limits ban.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 10:26:51 PM »
Get the trap, they cook up really good, tasty animals. The squeaky noises they make while you are killing them are a little unsettling but the taste is worth it.

Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 11:49:01 PM »
Get yourself an Irish Setter, they love to chase rabbits.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 12:20:26 AM »
that sucks.  you don't have a dog.  my dogs would love to play w/ little furry things.   ::)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline pz

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 12:55:43 AM »
We don't have rabbits, but for the past couple of decades we have had squirrel problems.  They would bark at us in the hot tub (with that awful grating sound they make) and throw pine cones down at us from the conifers (those dang cones hurt when they fall that far).  We put up with all that for the longest time, but one day about 5 years ago I purchased a small BB pistol (the kind you can see the BB come out the barrel), thinking that we'd deter them from staying so close.  I shot one that was barking (literally only 10 feet away), and he just ran up the tree and kept barking.  The next day we discovered that he'd torn up the seat cushions on our deck furniture.

That was the last straw - off to Cabela's to purchase a sniper pellet rifle.  Several years, and a couple of hundred dead squirrels later, this year so far, our back yard is completely free of the pests.  If you go the pellet gun route, I'd recommend paying a little extra for the hunting pellets - the accuracy is astounding.

Funny side story - some time ago we had the tree guys come out to cut down 4 extremely large conifers - that morning I'd shot a squirrel and forgot that it was at the base of a tree (I'd not had the chance to remove it) - the tree guy simply remarked "I sure am glad that I'm not a squirrel!".  Evidently I'm not the only squirrel hater in these neck of the woods.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 04:26:09 AM »
A good cat will get rid of them for you.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Northshore

Rabbits
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 08:31:05 AM »
Those high powered pellet guns are great BUT they can be as loud as a 22.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 08:40:04 AM »
There are pellet guns out there in either .177 or .22 caliber that come with "silencers" on them.  They are pretty quiet, and accurate, too. 

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 10:34:55 AM »
Several years ago we had a horrible pigeon problem around here.  Some of my neighbors and I had a blast taking care of the pigeon problem with our high powered pellet rifles.  Even my co-workers, living on the opposite of town, engaged in the sport of urban pigeon hunting.  We would look forward to going to work just to swap stories of the pigeons we assaulted over the weekend.  We finally eliminated the pigeon problem, but that also eliminated our fun of blasting those pesky little @&$%#&$@ off of the rooftops of our homes.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)