Author Topic: Deep Fried Pickerel  (Read 1933 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Deep Fried Pickerel
« Reply #-1 on: May 18, 2014, 11:26:58 PM »
Some time ago I asked for ideas on cooking Pickerel. The one that stood out was Devo's.

Ok deep fried Pickerel wrapped in cream cheese, kinda like if you wrap any thing in bacon it's gonna be good :)

The gear

The Pickerel,

The fry

Sorry no plate to busy eating ;D

Thanks for looking.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Deep Fried Pickerel
« on: May 18, 2014, 11:38:15 PM »
Your such a tease! I wanted to see the finished results.

I bet it was good!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 11:41:22 PM »
I've never thought of trying cream cheese with fried fish. Sounds interesting. I know pickerel is somehow related to pike, but is the flavor like a pike or more like a walleye? Or something else?
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 12:37:57 AM »
i like deep fried anything.  cream cheese is different.  i bet they were really good.  it sounds great.  never heard of pickerel before.  would love to try it. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 01:37:41 AM »
OH I would love to try that CDN!!! When I was 13 my cousin's uncle took us both to Whitefish Falls, Canada on the North Channel for two weeks of fishing. We ate a lot of pike, (pickerel) and canned pork and beans. My cousins Uncle was not a great cook but we ate all meals cooked by him on a pot belly wood stove. The second week we told him we were sick of fish, he got a jar of strawberry jam out and some bread and said here make a fish sandwich. It was good! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 01:42:50 AM »
That looks great.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 02:59:26 AM »
Sounds real good.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 06:44:28 AM »
I bet that came out delicious!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline hikerman

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 10:35:38 AM »
Looks excellent Drew! I bet the cream cheese in the fish tasted fabulous!  Shore lunch....where's the cooler of beverages? 

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 12:49:01 PM »
Actually we call the fish Pickerel and you folks call it Walleye.

I was sure I have a shot of the batter but I guess I didn't. Non of the cream cheese so it worked out well. My wife was looking at me like I was crazy ???

Thanks to Devo again for the idea ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 02:01:04 PM »
Actually we call the fish Pickerel and you folks call it Walleye.

I was sure I have a shot of the batter but I guess I didn't. Non of the cream cheese so it worked out well. My wife was looking at me like I was crazy ???

Thanks to Devo again for the idea ;D

Well that's good news - walleye is the fish we fish at "our" lake (Lake of the Woods.) I've done a quick search for a recipe for this from Devo - haven't found it. Do you have the link? Were they battered after rolling?

Thanks!
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 02:26:21 PM »
All I did was take a glob of cream cheese and place it on the filet. Roll and hold with a tooth pick. Press the cheese from both side so it is even. I used a package English style fish batter.

Coat in the batter and drop in the oil. Devo never gave a reciepe just the idea ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 02:30:25 PM »
Sounds excellent. If the ice is out, we will be at the lake for Memorial Day - look forward to trying this! Thanks!
Member #

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 02:32:12 PM »
All I did was take a glob of cream cheese and place it on the filet. Roll and hold with a tooth pick. Press the cheese from both side so it is even. I used a package English style fish batter.

Coat in the batter and drop in the oil. Devo never gave a reciepe just the idea ;D

And that is how we do it my friend. Nothing fancy, just good eats. Glad you liked it.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 03:21:28 PM »

And that is how we do it my friend. Nothing fancy, just good eats. Glad you liked it.

Sometimes the easiest recipes can be the best.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)