Author Topic: Craigs List Help  (Read 1733 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Craigs List Help
« Reply #-1 on: May 21, 2014, 10:13:38 AM »
I am selling a pool table on Craigs List.

http://winnipeg.en.craigslist.ca/atq/4466264019.html

http://www.ebrandon.ca/ItemView.aspx?item_id=1097318

He wants to send me a certified bank check but remove the add while it comes in the mail?

What personnel information do I give to the buyer?

Thanks,
CDN
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Craigs List Help
« on: May 21, 2014, 10:20:36 AM »
Honestly, I will not do any CL transactions that do not include an in person meeting.  Not having seen or heard the entire conversation, I would be be very hesitant.  The minute you hear the words "check" and "mail" with regards to CL transactions, the scam flags start flying.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 10:26:28 AM »
Thats a no sale,end of story.He gives you cash in person or no sale on Craigslist,its scammer paradise!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 10:27:20 AM »
Hi Billy,

Here is what was emailed to me.

I will like you to mail the Package through USPS Registered Mail tomorrow and keep me posted after shipment. (I have no idea what this means, its a pool table)

Thanks for the swift reply.I am okay with the condition and price of the item and am ready for its purchase.i don't have chance because am very busy Man and I'll be paying you with a certified Bank Check and the payment will be issue out to you Via UPS Courier service I'll be responsible for the pick-up,while you hold on my behalf,. Once you receive this, my mover's will come for the pick up at your place.I will be needing the following information to issue out the payment......

1.Your full name
2.Your mailing address(Physical)....Not P.O.box 3.Your phone number

** Please note that the payment will be overnight to your address and it will be delivered within 3 days.I will also wait for the check to clear before i have my mover come for the pick up..i will add an additional $50 so that you can hold it for me till the check reach you and also remove the add from Craigslist so that i can be  rest assure that you are holding it for me ..
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline spuds

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 10:28:28 AM »
They can make a certified check,deposit to your acct and it can bounce 2-3 weeks later,this is red flag,no way nada,do not touch it.Cash only,period.

Out of country scam artist,cant even write proper English.

Run Hard,run fast away!!!!!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 10:32:41 AM »
Hi Billy,

Here is what was emailed to me.

I will like you to mail the Package through USPS Registered Mail tomorrow and keep me posted after shipment. (I have no idea what this means, its a pool table)

Thanks for the swift reply.I am okay with the condition and price of the item and am ready for its purchase.i don't have chance because am very busy Man and I'll be paying you with a certified Bank Check and the payment will be issue out to you Via UPS Courier service I'll be responsible for the pick-up,while you hold on my behalf,. Once you receive this, my mover's will come for the pick up at your place.I will be needing the following information to issue out the payment......

1.Your full name
2.Your mailing address(Physical)....Not P.O.box 3.Your phone number

** Please note that the payment will be overnight to your address and it will be delivered within 3 days.I will also wait for the check to clear before i have my mover come for the pick up..i will add an additional $50 so that you can hold it for me till the check reach you and also remove the add from Craigslist so that i can be  rest assure that you are holding it for me ..

Absolutely a scam.  Glad you asked before doing anything.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 10:37:34 AM »
Drew if someone wants this beautiful table they will find a way to bring you CASH.
End of story!    Good luck!

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 10:41:59 AM »
Thanks fellas, lacing up my running shoes ;)
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 11:04:16 AM »
Thanks fellas, lacing up my running shoes ;)

Good for you, that message has scam artist written all over it.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline hikerman

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 11:16:04 AM »
Drew, one more thing. A certified cashiers check can work if and only if both of you go to your bank and your bank checks out validity of the issuing bank and check. Possession should NEVER change hands until a deal is complete. That can only be accomplished by secured funding and close inspection of merchandise being sold. What you were sent seems like a form letter. A scamming tool, but easily recognizable.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 01:23:10 PM »
Yes Drew that is a scam!

Glad you checked with us first ;)

Sometimes I get those scam emails from Nigeria and I really love messing with those guys. You know the ones where they will give you 1 million dollars to hold for them and you get a percentage of it. All they need you to do is send them a few thousand dollars and set up an account.

So I scam them back. I basically waste their time with false money gram or western union transactions. I get them to send me family pictures and personal stories. Oh the stuff they make up is hilarious! I had one guy running all over London trying to get his western union money that I never sent him :D

I dont use any of my real information or email BTW.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

Craigs List Help
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 01:39:41 PM »
I did enjoy the broken English though. ;D
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline spuds

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 03:28:52 PM »
What you were sent seems like a form letter. A scamming tool, but easily recognizable.
Just what we were thinking,a form letter for scams,waiting for a bite.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 03:28:57 PM »
I did enjoy the broken English though. ;D

X2
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 07:09:59 PM »
Noticed I didn't get any hits on the pool table :(
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351