Author Topic: Irrigation for my little garden.  (Read 14786 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Irrigation for my little garden.
« Reply #-1 on: May 27, 2014, 02:11:36 AM »
May 26 2014

Getting older I was getting tired of either carrying water or dragging out the hose and stand there for 15 minutes to water my garden. My small 8X10 raised bed garden is small and I only have 6 tomato plants in. Tomatoes are my favorite crop so I decided to not try to squeeze them in and give them more room.

I had been looking for some short watering system. I finally found a soaker hose at Lowes, 25 feet. I could cut it in half and with a Y connector and a female to female connector I could use both pieces. The hose puts out 1 gallon per foot per hour.
I plugged the cut ends with a ½ X 2 inch wood dowel and a stainless steel hose clamp. Plastic would be better but could not find any.

I have a brick sidewalk that goes to the shed so I will leave my hose out, lying on the walk. My wife does not like the looks of it lying out but I tell her you get out here and roll that thing up every day or two. Besides after it’s hot and the mosquitos come out she stays inside.

Picture below with my watering system and garden are my favorite tools a garden claw and a Tennessee hoe. The garden claw my wife bought for me. I kind of made fun of it at first but it does well for weeding in bad soil if you do it after a good rain. I can till my little garden that has good loose soil in less than 10 minutes with it.

The Tennessee hoe is the easiest I have ever used. The head is heavy enough, made of cast iron; it is almost effortless to use. A lot easier than a standard garden hoe. It probably has a proper name but I call it my Tennessee hoe!

I had a good neighbor for 20 years before he died and his wife was here another 10 years, Harold and Pat. Harold had a Honda Goldwing and him and Pat went on a lot of trips with it. Harold and I drank a lot of beer together too. After a trip to Tennessee they came over and he had this hoe, he said go try that and see how easy it is to use; I did and agreed. He said I found this in Tennessee and couldn’t see how we could carry it on the motorcycle. A trucker friend said I will be at the Wapakoneta truck stop next week and I will take it for you if someone comes to pick it up. They said ok and he gave her info about his rig.

Since Harold had to work Patsy said she had to pick it up. She laughed and said I just knew if I couldn’t find him I would look pretty silly asking drivers if they had a hoe from Tennessee for me! And that is why I call it my Tennessee hoe!

Back yard and the hose on my sidewalk

The Y hook up

My garden and tools

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Irrigation for my little garden.
« on: May 27, 2014, 02:15:13 AM »
Good stuff Don. ;)
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 06:57:43 AM »
Looks like it will work great Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 09:04:35 AM »
Great set-up. Love the story! Thanks.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 10:18:27 AM »
That should be a time saver Don ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 11:16:53 AM »
Very nice setup you put together.   ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 11:24:39 AM »
Nice looking setup Don ...
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Char Broil SRG

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 11:46:47 AM »
Good set up.    How long is the garden?  Been trying to get Kimmie to help me build a few so I can have a garden.  My back and knees won't let me have a reg garden  :(
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline pz

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 12:22:54 PM »

X2!!

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 12:29:44 PM »
Good set up.    How long is the garden?  Been trying to get Kimmie to help me build a few so I can have a garden.  My back and knees won't let me have a reg garden  :(

Here's some info on how I built my raised beds ...

I used 2"x6"x8' redwood (redwood isn't cheap but they hold up to weather better) and 4"x4" for the corners.  Used screws rather than nails.

The raised bed is 4'x8' and raised 12" ... filled with a garden mix from a local nursery

Modified the existing sprinkler system for a drip irrigation system

Happy gardening ...

MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Char Broil SRG

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 12:53:42 PM »
Now SP has the ideal raised beds and watering set-up looks great Pete. Tommy mine is 8'X10' and I used 2X10 treated lumber a little cheaper than red wood. I never see red wood here anymore, if you can get it, it would be special order. I used deck screws and angle brackets on the corners. I used four 1 1/2 perforated angle iron, drove them in the ground and fastened on the inside to help hold down. I forgot to say in the original post that watering my garden with my simple set up is actually fun now. Just turn on the water, and set for a half hour with a cold one!  ;D Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 07:52:11 PM »

Ditto, got a good chuckle out of that!   Clever way to set that up!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 08:38:58 PM »
Don,  Looks great.  That Tennessee Hoe  we call a grubin' hoe here in JAWJA.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 09:09:24 AM »
Update on watering my garden.
I didn’t leave my hose lying on the sidewalk long. The main reason was every time I would mow grass I needed it up. I thought of the ones you see on TV that retract to a small package. That would be easier than using the hose reel.  If I could get one that was 75 feet it would reach the soaker hose I had put in my garden.

I found one at Amazon and it was cheaper than from the co. that sells them, $32 on prime. When it came I already had a quick disconnect for hooking to the faucet. It came with a spray nozzle, cheap one, so I plugged it in and turned on the water it stretched out to full length. I turned off the water and it coiled back to a small package.

I took the nozzle off and when I tried to pull it to reach the garden it was too hard, it needed the water pressure. So off to Lowes to see if I could find a quick disconnect with a shut off. I found a set of 5 pieces in plastic that would work and I would have one for the spray nozzle too. I needed something to keep it in so looked at pots there. A 3 gal plastic bucket would work but I wanted something that looked nice. I found a nice glazed crock that had handles and would be easy to put away for winter.

I got home and installed all the connectors and it worked great. The daughter in law said they could use the hose reel and had a connector left for a nozzle for it too. I did not keep track of the exact cost of my set up to water my tomatoes; but I paid $37 for that pretty crock, $32 for the hose and have about another $30 in the soaker hose and quick disconnects! Those will be some expansive tomatoes; but they will sure taste good and I will be happy!

Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 02:35:46 PM »
Nice gardening setup but the concern I have is the smoker under the overhang and the proximity of the grill to the house.

From a fire safety viewpoint, that's not a good idea. (IMHO)

NFPA recommends a minimum of three feet from anything combustible (like vinyl siding).

Just my humble $0.02 worth.

Mike
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)