Author Topic: CALLING ALL SOUS VIDE COOKS!!!  (Read 3050 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: CALLING ALL SOUS VIDE COOKS!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 10:40:51 PM »
I will leave a light on for ya! :D :D :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 11:14:26 PM »
I must have had a busy day, missed all the great posts.

Keeping a close eye T and good luck ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 04:28:30 PM »
Thanks Drew!

Here is the part "Deux"  :D

So...I had rubbed the steak and put it in the fridge for 3 days. Pulled it out, and with some sage advice form  Sensei muebe  ;) 8)....I took the steak out of the bag - and gave it 1 hour of cold smoke. This proved to be a great idea - and just enough to make it taste like it had been grille dover a wood fire - not "smoked". Great call Mike! ;D
[
Out of curiosity, I weighed the steak. It started out at 3 lbs 3.5 oz. After the 3 day ride in the fridge, and the 1 hour cold smoke - it weighed 3 lb. 1.7 oz. I wanted to see what it had lot thus far. Will weigh it again after cooking....

Next - into the Sous Vide @ 135F for 6 hours... Everything I could read said 1 hour per inch of thickness. This was 4 inches thick. SO I went for 6 hours to be sure. REALLY glad I did!

Next - out of the bag, and into a blazing hot, smoking skillet-

And here she is ...like a model on the catwalk...( approx 1 minute on each side. ) I weighted it ( pic was too dark...) it weighted 2. 14.9 oz. So it only lost 4.6 oz. from it's raw weight !!!  NOW I  know more about the why of Sous Vide. It preserves and concentrates a little the beefy flavors without loss of the moisture that adds to the flavorful, satisfying taste of beef. I am sure that applies to anything you cook this way.

Oh BABY!!!! This was the best flavor/texture/moisture i have EVER tasted or had!!! It had the succulent bite of filet mignon - but the famous ribeye flavor!

You could pull it apart with very little resistance - but it was NOT mushy or over-cooked at all!

The heart of the ribeye...my wives favorite part no fat but WOW what flavor!

Truly u-blievable moisture....NO "bloody fluid" - tho is is barely medium rare...Edge to edge! ;)

I am convinced that Sous Vide is absolutely the best way to make the most flavorful, moist, tender steak. No longer will you worry about "over cooking. You really can't unless you left it in your cooker say...overnite - beyond the normal cook times.
The difference is that when we are cooking the steak form start to finish on our stove top or grill - we use HIGH heat to sear the outside, and force enough radiant energy ingot the center - in order to reach the temperature at the center of mass that we like for doneness.
With Sous Vide - you set the water bath for the target temp that you want the center of the steak to cook to. Then you sear it quickly in a skillet or on a grill once you have cooked it in the water bath to the target temp. Darned near goof proof....I am hooked! :D 8)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 04:34:06 PM by teesquare »
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 05:13:36 PM »
Looks great Tee!!!

Glad it came out so good ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 05:24:33 PM »
It came out SO good that I will feel a disappointment - if I ever have to cook a steak by any other method. Not an exaggeration.

I am already scheming about cooking a lot of other foods sous vide...... ;)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

CALLING ALL SOUS VIDE COOKS!!!
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 05:36:48 PM »
Wow! Great right up and result
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 06:04:15 PM »
Thanks Pap!

I hope you can be convinced to try it. Unbelievable.....
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 08:29:48 PM »
Thanks Pap!

Im sold Tim,you did GREAT. I can imagine that cold,dipped in sour cream,horseradish sauce.Beautiful!!!!I will show this to Mrs ASAP.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 08:41:26 PM »
Great looking roast, I've got one in the fridge waiting its turn in the SV, I hope mine comes out as well as yours.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 09:34:31 PM »
Thanks Pap!

Im sold Tim,you did GREAT. I can imagine that cold,dipped in sour cream,horseradish sauce.Beautiful!!!!I will show this to Mrs ASAP.
[/b]

Spuds - I will sometimes collect the jus - or make some by reducing a broth with added garlic, thyme, black pepper, etc - and mix that with a blend of horseradish, sour cream and a bit of A-1....BOY HOWDY!!!! ;D

Great looking roast, I've got one in the fridge waiting its turn in the SV, I hope mine comes out as well as yours.  ;)

I have seen your skills - you got nothing to worry about. The only thing that I can say I would have done different is I might have left it in the SV for another 2 hours. Just to see how tender it would be, but completely happy with how it turned out. And - thanks for the comps. :)
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline hikerman

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 10:57:34 PM »
Beautiful hunk of meat to start out with,  and a fantastic finish! Real nice Tim!  :P   I see how you get it, sometimes it's gotta hit us right on the noggin! 8)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 11:13:10 PM »
Just plain beautiful! Great pictures and explanation as well. Thanks for sharing it!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 11:20:59 PM »
Tee,
You done good!!  If I can ever get off the road I'll have to try something like that. 

Art

Could you please, pretty please, save me a nice taste?  (I am not above begging.)
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 11:30:56 PM »
Beautiful hunk of meat to start out with,  and a fantastic finish! Real nice Tim!  :P   I see how you get it, sometimes it's gotta hit us right on the noggin! 8)

Thanks Gene! it really is an easy method once I got it thru my skull that we are dealing with a method of cooking that ignores the principles we have all grown up with. HI heat - sear, flip sear...and you time your sear to coordinate with what you hope is the finished internal temp for the center of the meat...Sometime you get it right....sometimes not. LOTS of variables...

Sous Vde? - removes the issues that prevent us from reaching the EXACT internal temp that we want..And, you cannot over-cook. Think about THAT alone... 8) !

Then you finish the outside  the way you want. Oven/broiler, or grill...or frying pan...

Tee,
You done good!!  If I can ever get off the road I'll have to try something like that. 

Art

Could you please, pretty please, save me a nice taste?  (I am not above begging.)

Er...I don't know how to tell you this Art...but I was just diagnosed with "sleep eating".....THat thing has disappeared! But the great news is - we can do it again anything you are int he area! :D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 12:22:45 AM »
Tim,au jus in the dip,going to do that,thanks!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.