Author Topic: Sous Vide Brisket  (Read 6914 times)

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
Re: Sous Vide Brisket
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 08:29:19 AM »
Cool experiment cooking it that way.. even if it was dry it looks pretty tasty!!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 08:42:27 AM »
This has been my concern with cooking brisket like this (having it low enough internal temp to remain moist without running it long enough to "beyond well" to break down).

Billy I really believe that if I would have just skipped the start in the pellet grill and went straight to Sous Vide my results would have been much different. Those 4 hours in the pellet grill really messed it up IMHO.

Interesting.  Can't wait to see the next try.  Do you think a point done this way would be too fatty without the traditional fat break down?  I'm just thinking that if nothing else it would be moist.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 10:23:56 AM »
This has been my concern with cooking brisket like this (having it low enough internal temp to remain moist without running it long enough to "beyond well" to break down).

Billy I really believe that if I would have just skipped the start in the pellet grill and went straight to Sous Vide my results would have been much different. Those 4 hours in the pellet grill really messed it up IMHO.

Interesting.  Can't wait to see the next try.  Do you think a point done this way would be too fatty without the traditional fat break down?  I'm just thinking that if nothing else it would be moist.

I think a point would be perfect for the 4 hour smoke then Sous Vide method. The little bit that I had was so good!

The flat just can't be done this way. Just straight Sous Vide IMHO.

But this is what experimenting is all about ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 11:59:24 AM »
Look the collagen hasn't converted to gelatin at 135 degrees. Thus your going to have a tough dry tasting flat.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 01:22:44 PM »
Look the collagen hasn't converted to gelatin at 135 degrees. Thus your going to have a tough dry tasting flat.

Wasn't really tough Chris it was dry however.

The taste was great just not blow me away fantastic.

Then again I have never really had a great "flat" anyways. The full packer I smoked was really good. The flat in that was fantastic.

All the points I have made never disappointed me.

When I do it again it will be cold smoked then cooked Sous Vide.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 02:21:00 PM »
So last night I took the rest of the meat and placed it in a large ziplock bag. Then poured all the leftover juices back into the ziplock and pushed all the air out. Placed it in the fridge.

Today I used some of the brisket meat for a sammie and have to say it rehydrated very nicely! Made for an excellent sandwich. I noticed quite a bit of the juices were missing from the bag. I assume that the brisket rehydrated itself so now I have some great leftovers ;)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 07:04:53 PM »
So last night I took the rest of the meat and placed it in a large ziplock bag. Then poured all the leftover juices back into the ziplock and pushed all the air out. Placed it in the fridge.

Today I used some of the brisket meat for a sammie and have to say it rehydrated very nicely! Made for an excellent sandwich. I noticed quite a bit of the juices were missing from the bag. I assume that the brisket rehydrated itself so now I have some great leftovers ;)

Thanks for the update.  I just pulled mine from the SV bath, will update my post soon.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 07:12:42 PM »
OK, do I understand ?, after smoking 4hrs, then SV, did you ice down, then in the fridge over night in the vac sealed bag ?
I've never opened a large /long cook hot, I've always iced it down, fridge over night, then portion and finish on the grill.

GMG Daniel Boone
Southwest Discada 24" Rio Grande
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 07:17:23 PM »
Great thread guys,learning a lot.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2014, 07:26:38 PM »
OK, do I understand ?, after smoking 4hrs, then SV, did you ice down, then in the fridge over night in the vac sealed bag ?
I've never opened a large /long cook hot, I've always iced it down, fridge over night, then portion and finish on the grill.

Here's a piece of pork belly, done ~ 149f x 50 hrs, chilled w/ice, fridge overnight, portion, and on the grill .... it was how do you spell umptious ?

I know, I just need to do a "Brisket" ...... !!!

GMG Daniel Boone
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2014, 08:18:50 PM »

I took it directly from the smoker to the bag then to the water bath. You think icing it down would have made a big difference?
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline catinatree

• Boulder, Colorado
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2014, 08:45:44 PM »

I took it directly from the smoker to the bag then to the water bath. You think icing it down would have made a big difference?

That's the only way I've ever done a large piece SV ... I think along the lines of almost any "roast", stove top, oven, cool in the cooking liquids overnight. The meat tends to rehydrate or keeping it from drying out, reheating usually results in a moist end product.
GMG Daniel Boone
Discada tri-pod burner
PolyScience Sous Vide

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2014, 08:50:29 PM »

That's the only way I've ever done a large piece SV ... I think along the lines of almost any "roast", stove top, oven, cool in the cooking liquids overnight. The meat tends to rehydrate or keeping it from drying out, reheating usually results in a moist end product.

What you are saying makes sense. The brisket was much better the next day after being placed back into a bag with the liquids then refrigerated. It seemed to pull the liquids back junto the meat.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2014, 08:53:48 PM »

Here's a piece of pork belly, done ~ 149f x 50 hrs, chilled w/ice, fridge overnight, portion, and on the grill .... it was how do you spell umptious ?

I know, I just need to do a "Brisket" ...... !!!

AWWW....MOMMAAAAA!!!!!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2014, 09:41:58 PM »

Wasn't really tough Chris it was dry however.

The taste was great just not blow me away fantastic.

Then again I have never really had a great "flat" anyways. The full packer I smoked was really good. The flat in that was fantastic.

All the points I have made never disappointed me.

When I do it again it will be cold smoked then cooked Sous Vide.

After thinking about it 185 is the finished cook temp. the collagen converts at around 160-165 Mike might be something to try in your experimental stages of this game.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!