Author Topic: Brisket Smoked then Sous Vide  (Read 8125 times)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Brisket Smoked then Sous Vide
« Reply #-1 on: June 02, 2014, 01:00:20 PM »
Starting this off on the Traeger, smoking for 4 hours then will transfer to SV for about a 36-48 hour water bath.   It's my first attempt at a SV brisket, will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Brisket Smoked then Sous Vide
« on: June 02, 2014, 01:03:50 PM »
I'm interested too... will be watching. Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 01:13:21 PM »
Should be interesting.  Are you planning anything after the bath to set up the bark?
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 01:23:19 PM »
Should be interesting.  Are you planning anything after the bath to set up the bark?

Yes, I was thinking either finishing it off in a cast iron skillet or flip the GrillGrates over and do it on the flat side of them.  I got two days to decide.  ;)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 03:14:03 PM »
Definately keeping an eye on this one!  Sounds great
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 03:24:04 PM »

Yes, I was thinking either finishing it off in a cast iron skillet or flip the GrillGrates over and do it on the flat side of them.  I got two days to decide.  ;)

Another thought would be to finish it in the smoker to allow some dry airflow to the outside instead of caramelizing.  I guess the question is whether you want a bark or a crust.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 03:42:54 PM »
ok..dumb question..why so long in Sous Vide? Could it be done for 12 - 24 hours instead? I don't understand the long wait time I guess.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 03:54:21 PM »
ok..dumb question..why so long in Sous Vide? Could it be done for 12 - 24 hours instead? I don't understand the long wait time I guess.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

I'm following the guidelines in this recipe http://www.cookingsousvide.com/info/sous-vide-recipes/more/sous-vide-brisket-recipe. It recommends 1-3 days (24-72 hours) I'm shooting for somewhere in the middle of their recommended range.  ;)
----------------------

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 04:07:17 PM »

Another thought would be to finish it in the smoker to allow some dry airflow to the outside instead of caramelizing.  I guess the question is whether you want a bark or a crust.

That's a great idea too, what temp would you recommend I use to get a good bark without drying out the meat?
----------------------

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 04:14:44 PM »
After 4 hours of smoking in the pellet grill.
----------------------

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 04:36:11 PM »

That's a great idea too, what temp would you recommend I use to get a good bark without drying out the meat?

I would probably do 200 for sbout an hour (kind of like the last stage of a  3-2-1- rib method).  Anything less is going to smoke but not really firm up the bark.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 05:01:51 PM »

I would probably do 200 for sbout an hour (kind of like the last stage of a  3-2-1- rib method).  Anything less is going to smoke but not really firm up the bark.

That sounds like a great idea, I think I'll do that instead. Thanks for the suggestion. ;)
----------------------

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 05:18:02 PM »
Vacuum sealed and ready for the SV.
----------------------

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 06:31:39 PM »
I did this, LVC, on maybe a little smaller brisket and thought the result was way overcooked.  It lost lots of moisture.  See it here - http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=5650.msg.  Be sure to read muebe's comments.  Good luck.  Can't wait to see the results.
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 08:26:52 PM »
After 4 hours of smoking in the pellet grill.

Hi Cajun - what temp did you smoke at in the pellet smoker?
Just curious
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit