Author Topic: How do I manage sous-vide cooking?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
How do I manage sous-vide cooking?
« Reply #-1 on: June 05, 2014, 04:56:02 PM »
Some of the negatives I hear about this method .
Takes too long!
Prep is too hard!
Your going to cook that for 24 hours???
Too expensive!
Well the sous-vide method lends itself to mass production easily. The prep time on 4 packs of seasoned salmon or scallops with butter in food saver packs is little more than 1.
Get home fill crock pot with hot water , throw in a pack of frozen seafood or a scallops & in 45 min of no work or watching its ready to sear!
Steaks are the same! Fix several bags of seasoned steaks , freeze , throw in one when you get home & sear an hour later!
For long cooks with a tough piece of meat it's like a crockpot , throw in in the night before or in the morning & it's ready when you get home!
As far as cost Muebe turned me on to the dorkfood $99 cooker & I've spent a lot more on worse cooking gadgets  ::)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 05:12:58 PM by LostArrow »
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: How do I manage sous-vide cooking?
« on: June 05, 2014, 05:05:28 PM »
Takes too long!
Prep is too hard!
Too expensive!
Well the sous-vide method lends itself to mass production easily. The prep time on 4 packs of seasoned salmon or scallops with butter in food saver packs is little more than 1.
Get home fill crock pot with hot water , throw in a pack of frozen seafood or a scallops & in 45 min of no work or watching its ready to sear!
Steaks are the same! Fix several bags of seasoned steaks , freeze , throw in one when you get home & sear an hour later!
For long cooks it's like a crockpot , throw in in the night before or in the morning & it's ready when you get home!
As far as cost Muebe turned me on to the dorkfood $99 cooker & I've spent a lot more on worse cooking gadgets ::)

Same here..... ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 05:27:50 PM »
All good points.  I spent $199 on my Anova and yes I've spent WAY more on other things like the boat, RV, Harley, guns & ammo, beer, and other cooking devices. ;)

Yes planning an SV cook is more like planning a cook in the crockpot or a low and slow smoke in the smoker.  Plan ahead!!!

The SV gives me time to get other things done while it does the cooking for me. I can put dinner in the SV bath either in the morning or the middle of the day, set it and forget it until dinner time.

The cost of the SV will pay for itself by using less expensive cuts of meat that will turn out as tender as the more expensive cuts.

It can be done indoors, when your favorite outdoor cooker is buried under 3 feet of snow.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 05:32:10 PM »
Takes too long!
Prep is too hard!
Too expensive!
For long cooks with a tough piece of meat it's like a crockpot , throw in in the night before or in the morning & it's ready when you get home!
As far as cost Muebe turned me on to the dorkfood $99 cooker & I've spent a lot more on worse cooking gadgets  ::)

Well, I guess you answered most if not all of my concerns... now, just got to get it past SWMBO!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 05:58:13 PM »
Im sold 100%
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 06:40:33 PM »
Love my Dorkfood DSV! It is the best bang for the buck in Sous Vide cooking IMHO.

As LA said it is easy to manage the Sous Vide cooks. And it is so forgiving on time.

Also when I made those 72 hour short ribs my life did not stop until they were finished. I actually did make other meals as the DSV silently prepared my meal a few days later ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 11:02:07 PM »
Takes too long!
Prep is too hard!
Too expensive!

Well, I guess you answered most if not all of my concerns... now, just got to get it past SWMBO!

David, if you didn't catch this post
I'm using an electric roaster for the SV with the Dorkfood controller
I'll end up spending $120 for the setup :)
http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=9521.msg127962#msg127962

I did miss it. Thanks for the reminder!
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 11:09:58 PM »
 DORKfood is that food for DORKS?

OK back to my corner
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 12:00:05 AM »
Chris some of the richest and successful people in this country are Dorks!

Just sayin ;)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 12:19:30 AM »
Sorry I tried to make a joke in someone elses post won't happen again
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 12:25:51 AM »

That was tongue in cheek. I was only kidding. I knew you were joking too Chris.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 12:28:18 AM »
Chris some of the richest and successful people in this country are Dorks!

Just sayin ;)

Makes me wish I was a Dork.  :P
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 12:29:10 AM »

Mrs spuds just remarked today,am I a DORK now? You betcha! ;D  And we plan on getting a heckuva lot DORKIER.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 12:46:11 AM »

Mrs spuds just remarked today,am I a DORK now? You betcha! ;D  And we plan on getting a heckuva lot DORKIER.
The older we get the DORKIER we get.....life is goooooooood when it's DORKIER.  :P
----------------------

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 11:43:23 AM »
My impression is that the majority of you sous vide folks really like the DorkFood device. Has anyone tried this one? http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1541135/?affsrcid=AFF0001&CA_6C15C=120120820000092772
Although twice the price of the DorkFoods, it seems more versatile and also circulates the water. You've won me over to the idea, now I need to choose the device... I would appreciate your thoughts and comments.
Thank you!
Member #