Author Topic: Sockeye Salmon  (Read 1436 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Sockeye Salmon
« Reply #-1 on: June 07, 2014, 01:26:29 PM »
I just bought some wild sockeye salmon from Costco at $14.99/ lb because my oldest daughter likes salmon.

I understand that sockeye is sort of at the top of the ladder when it comes to salmon; therefore, I want to do the  best job I can on it.  What are y'all's suggestions on how to cook this thing? 

Thanks, Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline hikerman

Re: Sockeye Salmon
« on: June 07, 2014, 02:17:24 PM »
Dee you got some great fish there!  First, is this fillet with skin on one side? If so, I put a piece of foil on grill, no oiling foil. Put your fillets on foil that you have lightly oiled and seasoned to your liking, and from there I do the push test for doneness.  You don't want your finger to feel the fish is mushy nor firm, somewhere in between. The nice part of the foil, when serving, you use a very thin spatula, and wiggle a bit and skin stays on foil for easy clean-up and takes that burden from the table.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 04:15:01 PM »
My favorite way to do salmon is on a cedar plank on the grill, and I've done Sockeye this way too. To me it doesn't get any better than that.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 04:56:07 PM »
Dee:  I just bought some too, but I also bought their regular farm raised.  The farm raised had less fishy taste, but it may have been just the one cut I got.  I sprinkled the filets with Old Bay and then brushed on some Veri Veriteraki Sauce, and put in refrigerator for 2-4 hours.  Then grilled on indirect heat to IT of 140°.  This method comes out good for me.  I have used the cedar planks too, but not always.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 08:01:04 PM »
Hey Dee,
I like salmon on a plank - cedar is good, I prefer alder. I like to slice a lemon very thin and put that along with some fresh dill on the plank then add the salmon (filet or steak.) I like this with many fish - especially good with trout or steelhead. If it is a salmon filet with skin on - I put the skin side on the plank and the herbs and lemon on top of the flesh. Then Gene's spatula trick works on the plank as well.

Or I like to do salmon directly on the grill - however, the grill grates must be fanatically clean to avoid sticking. If it makes you nervous to go directly on the grill (salmon ain't cheap!) I'd use Gene's foil or a plank until you feel comfortable. I have definitely ruined some nice fish, and tend to stick with planks.

I don't use a lot of seasoning - I enjoy the flavor of the fish, but, lemon, fresh herbs, maybe some seasoning salt (I like John Henry) mmm mmm good.

Sounds like you have some great fish - let us know what you choose to do and ...  ;) don't forget the pictures!  ;) ;D ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 09:46:21 PM »
I have one cedar plank left over from some I bought years ago.  I think I'll use it. I assume I soak it and cook over direct heat?  I'll use a seafood seasoning that is my substitute for Old Bay called Old Savannah.  I was turned on to it by the fellow behind the fish counter at Publix a few years ago.  I like it because it seems to have sort of a slight cinnamon flavor that is' missing form OB.  I like the idea of lemon and maybe some dill?  My wife was talking about a dill sauce. Y'all got any experience with a sauce?  Thanks, Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 09:54:35 PM »
i always cook my fish indirect. 

PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 11:56:54 PM »
I have one cedar plank left over from some I bought years ago.  I think I'll use it. I assume I soak it and cook over direct heat?  I'll use a seafood seasoning that is my substitute for Old Bay called Old Savannah.  I was turned on to it by the fellow behind the fish counter at Publix a few years ago.  I like it because it seems to have sort of a slight cinnamon flavor that is' missing form OB.  I like the idea of lemon and maybe some dill?  My wife was talking about a dill sauce. Y'all got any experience with a sauce?  Thanks, Dee

Dee - yes soak the heck out of it (at least 30 minutes and longer is fine) and keep a spray bottle with water handy to fight any fires... I do all of my fish over direct heat - fast and hot. I see sparky likes the indirect method... and I'd have a hard time arguing with anything he suggests. So, I am guessing they both work...  ;) Everyone has their own taste. For fish, I like lemon and dill, but now you have me thinking about cinnamon. Not only does that add a nice warmth, it is really good for you... I will be trying that next time - thank you!
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 12:43:15 PM »
Dee, you can't go wrong with the cedar plank, Old Savannah(never had it but sounds wonderful!) and lemon.  :P
One thing to remember is that salmon is sooo goood on it's own, that the only 2 ways to ruin it are overcooking, and adding too much in the way of added flavorings.
Good luck and hope everyone enjoys!  ;D

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 03:29:01 PM »

One thing to remember is that salmon is sooo goood on it's own, that the only 2 ways to ruin it are overcooking, and adding too much in the way of added flavorings.

I so agree.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 03:54:41 PM »
I like it cold smoked(Lox) or pan seared quickly with high heat.

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 10:02:28 PM »
Well, I cooked it and it was excellent.  Put some Old Savannah with a little lemon juice on it and cooked on the plank.  Sides were hasselback potatoes (I'll post some new techniques on those in the veg section tomorrow), grilled okra with Lawry's Seaoning salt, sliced tomatoes, and fresh watermelon for dessert.  Got a little left over and plan on putting with omelet in the morning for wife and daughter.

Thanks so much for all the help.

Dee

Offline pz

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2014, 12:16:00 AM »
I know this is a bit late, but a method you might like is to poach salmon in Champagne with onions and dill.  Very simple - we dice a single large onion, coarsely chop some dill, and heat to translucent in some olive oil.  Add all of a bottle of Champagne (minus two glasses  ;D ) and the fish - filets cut into whatever size pieces you like.  The Champagne/onion sauce makes an excellent topping for mashed potatoes.  As to the Champagne - Cooks Grand Reserve is excellent for the price - around $5 a bottle.  The fish is always moist and succulent.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2014, 03:05:37 PM »
pz, that sounds decadent - will have to try this!
Member #

Offline RAD

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2014, 04:37:47 PM »
Or I like to do salmon directly on the grill - however, the grill grates must be fanatically clean to avoid sticking. If it makes you nervous to go directly on the grill (salmon ain't cheap!) I'd use Gene's foil or a plank until you feel comfortable. I have definitely ruined some nice fish, and tend to stick with planks.

I don't use a lot of seasoning - I enjoy the flavor of the fish, but, lemon, fresh herbs, maybe some seasoning salt (I like John Henry) mmm mmm good.

Sounds like you have some great fish - let us know what you choose to do and ...  ;) don't forget the pictures!  ;) ;D ;D
I'm with doc on this one.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Love to cook and eat