Author Topic: Napa Kimchee  (Read 420 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Napa Kimchee
« Reply #-1 on: June 08, 2014, 09:42:39 AM »
For Tenpoint5

Smoking Don should recognize this!

Napa Kimchee   This is my favorite Kimchee recipe. It is best to use authentic Korean red pepper flakes aka as Korean chili flakes. You can vary the heat by the amount of red pepper flakes. I use a heaping ½ cup & that is hot enough for me. Makes about 3 quarts.   5 to 6 lbs Napa cabbage ¾ cup pickling salt or kosher salt 8 scallions finely sliced 1 ½ cups shredded carrots 2 Tbs. finely chopped garlic 2 tsp. sugar ½ cup Korean red pepper flakes (chili flakes) 1 Tbs. salt ( I do not add this at the end, I think it is salty enough)   Remove limp outer leaves from the cabbage. Quarter the cabbage lengthwise, then cut across the quarters into 1 inch wide pieces. For large heads you may have to cut into 8ths. Put the cabbage in a very large bowl and add the salt. Toss so that the salt coats the cabbage evenly.  Allow to stand for 30 minutes. Toss the cabbage a couple of times during that time. You may need two bowls but it will wilt down and should fit in one large Tupperware bowl.  Rinse the cabbage w/cold water & drain. Toss w/the remaining ingredients & pack into a large crock or covered pottery casserole. Allow to sit on the counter for 1 to 2 days. I let mine set for the two days in the large Tupperware bowl with lid and then pack into quart mason jars. Add water to cover and store in the refrigerator, covered, in the crock or in individual glass jars. Serve as a relish w/any Korean dinners or use in cooking meat dishes soups, stews or fried rice. Note: Original recipe called for 2 Tbs. grated fresh ginger and 2 Tbs. candied ginger but I don't use it in mine.  I find it best to do up in mason jars for the fridge since they are air tight and this does smell.  I also like to let it set in the fridge several days before using. The longer it sets the hotter it gets too.
Modify message
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Napa Kimchee
« on: June 08, 2014, 09:52:32 AM »
Yea Tee that is my favorite recipe and eating the last quart now from my latest batch. When Ahron, (African meat) was here he said it needed to be more sour. I like it the way it is but he has eaten it in a lot of Korean restaurants. I only had it from the one Korean lady and think mine is close to what she made. The original recipe had some sliced fresh ginger and fish sauce in it but I am not a ginger lover, that may make it more sour. Aging it longer should increase the sourness too. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 03:38:07 PM »
Thank you,bookmarked.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 03:45:03 PM »
Sounds great will have to try this one.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)