General > General Discussion

Cool tool for heavyweights… or, you can count on it

(1/4) > >>

Wingman:
I watched with interest Spuds juice diet posts.  He did an amazing job, but there is no way I could do that diet.  For one, it requires willpower and a juicer and I have neither.  I do want to lose weight though, so I looked around online a bit and found something that is working for me.  It’s a very popular, free application for smartphones and PC’s called MyFitnessPal.  Loaded onto your devices they will sync so your entries will show up on all of them.  You can track lots of nutritional info although I use it only for calorie counting.  The key to its success is a huge data base of foods (user entered) so it’s quick and easy to find your food’s calories, or you can also enter your own.  The learning curve is relatively small so you can be using it within minutes of downloading.
So I eat all the foods that I like, just less of them.  That’s a diet I can handle.  One benefit from this method is the forced nutritional awareness to what one eats.  I had no idea about some of the foods that we consume.  I never knew that a tablespoon of Helmanns mayo was 90 calories or that the ham I normally eat is only 35 calories per ounce.  I can have a ham and egg breakfast for about 350 calories.
Anyway, I have lost 15 pounds and my honey lost 11 in 35 days without once being hangry so if you are thinking about this sort of thing you might want to check out MyFitnessPal.

Las Vegan Cajun:
I have used MFP and it is a great tool for tracking food/calories.  Then I discovered <a href="https://www.fitbit.com/flex">Fitbit</a> and have been using it over the past several months.  This device, you wear on your wrist will track all your daily activity like calories burned and steps/miles walked.  It also has a database of foods that you can log what you eat and it will compare your calories in vs calories out so you can see your progress or lack of on a daily basis.   It will also monitor how well you sleep, good quality sleep is essential to weight management as well as what we eat and how active we are.

spuds:

--- Quote from: Wingman on June 17, 2014, 12:17:43 PM ---I watched with interest Spuds juice diet posts.  He did an amazing job, but there is no way I could do that diet.  For one, it requires willpower and a juicer and I have neither.  I do want to lose weight though, so I looked around online a bit and found something that is working for me.  It’s a very popular, free application for smartphones and PC’s called MyFitnessPal.  Loaded onto your devices they will sync so your entries will show up on all of them.  You can track lots of nutritional info although I use it only for calorie counting.  The key to its success is a huge data base of foods (user entered) so it’s quick and easy to find your food’s calories, or you can also enter your own.  The learning curve is relatively small so you can be using it within minutes of downloading.
So I eat all the foods that I like, just less of them.  That’s a diet I can handle.  One benefit from this method is the forced nutritional awareness to what one eats.  I had no idea about some of the foods that we consume.  I never knew that a tablespoon of Helmanns mayo was 90 calories or that the ham I normally eat is only 35 calories per ounce.  I can have a ham and egg breakfast for about 350 calories.
Anyway, I have lost 15 pounds and my honey lost 11 in 35 days without once being hangry so if you are thinking about this sort of thing you might want to check out MyFitnessPal.

--- End quote ---
Wingman,first off CONGRATULATIONS!! WELL DONE.

Im an RN and THOUGHT I had a clue about nutrition from what I had been taught,found out when dieting I DIDNT HAVE A CLUE!! ???

The learning experience is tremendous isnt it? Try miracle whip over mayo,IIRC its only 15 cals per tbsp,huge savings,dang tuna or eggsalad is killer cals with mayo.Sauces are HUGE calorie hiding spots.

And bread,a lot is 120 cals a slice,so I cut it back and now only use the absolutely most nutrition filled I can buy,dont need hollow cals.

For those without an app,try this for cals.Just type in any food,hit the green magnifying lens and its all there.

http://caloriecount.about.com/flog/

Jaxon:

--- Quote from: Wingman on June 17, 2014, 12:17:43 PM ---

Anyway, I have lost 15 pounds and my honey lost 11 in 35 days without once being hangry

--- End quote ---

When my friend goes on a diet, I don't want to be around him because he, too, gets "hangry"...hungry and angry.

just sayin'...              8)

spuds:

--- Quote from: Jaxon on June 17, 2014, 06:24:07 PM ---
--- Quote from: Wingman on June 17, 2014, 12:17:43 PM ---

Anyway, I have lost 15 pounds and my honey lost 11 in 35 days without once being hangry

--- End quote ---

When my friend goes on a diet, I don't want to be around him because he, too, gets "hangry"...hungry and angry.

just sayin'...              8)

--- End quote ---
;D ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version