Author Topic: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse  (Read 63463 times)

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
Re: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 07:17:13 PM »
Very interesting concept!  I'll be watching this thread for updates.

Ditto
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 08:10:47 PM »
Got it staked today,will level base tomorrow,need more screws,ones I have just arent cutting it,they keep stripping,whats up with that? So will go get some new ones.My yard is a hill,thought I was only a 4-5 inch slope where its at,its more,like 10 inches+

Base will take more work than we thought.

Yes Kat,I like these cool solutions to problems too,like the pond idea.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 08:16:24 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 08:24:06 PM »
Best of luck Carl, lots of photos ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 09:40:46 PM »
I met a missionary that did this is South America .  They raised fish for food and various greens and veggies. They would set these up in poor villages to improve the food supply.
He has a small setup here using shipping tanks. And plastic drums . Cut off the top of the shipping tanks about a foot down and flip it upside down above the tank. Put plants up there fish in bottom.
 He has some larger tanks built out of some type liners. Turns out a pretty nice stock of catfish in those. Talopia I think in the small ones.

Robertsdale  feed store has a container setup as well. It has huge squash plants in it. I can get a picture of it when I go for feed.  They are asking $450 with a little giant pump. A bit much I thought.

I think you'll do really well with it once you get it going.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline spuds

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 10:07:17 PM »
Best of luck Carl, lots of photos ;D
Yeah,well,uh....not getting pics of my lovely 10 inch slope until I correct it  :o,LOL!Going to have to back-fill somehow.

Goal for posting is  to show details from beginning and give accurate full costs.So plenty pics for sure coming.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:18:41 PM by spuds »
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 10:13:04 PM »
I met a missionary that did this is South America .  They raised fish for food and various greens and veggies. They would set these up in poor villages to improve the food supply.
He has a small setup here using shipping tanks. And plastic drums . Cut off the top of the shipping tanks about a foot down and flip it upside down above the tank. Put plants up there fish in bottom.
 He has some larger tanks built out of some type liners. Turns out a pretty nice stock of catfish in those. Talopia I think in the small ones.

Robertsdale  feed store has a container setup as well. It has huge squash plants in it. I can get a picture of it when I go for feed.  They are asking $450 with a little giant pump. A bit much I thought.

I think you'll do really well with it once you get it going.
If interested here is a free Holy Grail of 187 page download on aquaponics

http://www.backyardmagazines.com/shop/the-ibc-of-aquaponics/

And their forum which is the most complete extensive source Ive ever found.Check out the members setups,amazing!!!!!

http://backyardaquaponics.com/forum/

Offline spuds

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 03:32:50 PM »
Ok,today I got 12 more 3.5 foot stakes,2 each of pressure treated 2x4 and 2x6 12foot boards,2  50 lb bags of quickrete,and some deck screws...72 dollars.

Will start getting pics up by the weekend.   

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 04:16:11 PM »
I do not want this thread getting lost in the fray....stickied!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 10:31:30 PM »
Those 4x4's will be the doorway and support the ridge-post.The PVC conduit are 10 feet,will take at least 2 per hoop,depending on how I curve the walls will determine if they will be longer,Im thinking 25 foot each hoop

On the left is Girl and her toy,she is a sweety.Background is Snooky,she is one serious guard dog,doesnt take any gruff from anything.The building behind is our Barn,was a house at one time,now a barn for us.The background baseboard will be raised 11 inches with 2x6  12 foot boards.The foreground board is up 4 inches on a rock wall,had no idea I still had that much slope going on,11 inches,wow!

Getting some staking done,after that will level baseboards and be pounding in the pvc that will connect to the hoops.

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 11:43:33 AM »
You have got quite the set of work crew helpers there!  :) (Love the Polish chickens!)   Looks like you'll have quite the busy weekend--  exciting to see your progress!!
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 02:20:20 PM »
Real happy with the Polish chickens,for the egg size just smaller than a full sized chicken,they are pretty economical on the feed.LOL,they spent the day seeing how many times they could tangle up my leveling line,goofballs.

Though my favorite chicken of all time was a Leghorn the raccoons got,she was the skinniest thing,super lover sweet as can be....not your typical leghorn by a long shot ,and an egg laying workhorse,a fine fine animal indeed.Gee I miss that bird. :(

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 05:11:16 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me the variety of personalities that chickens have!  We have a buff orpington that sounds a bit like your leghorn-- just super friendly and fun to have around.  She likes to sit on your lap, and used to follow James's son out to the bus stop every morning when he stayed with us.  She always comes running up whenever I pull in the driveway, hoping I've got a leftover snack.  :) 

Sorry to hear about the raccoon, those little buggers are devious!  Maybe you can invent some sort of "chicken-ponics" set up that involves fish, plants and chickens!  :)    Good luck this weekend, sounds like you'll be one busy boy!  (I'll be butchering the second half of my meat chickens tomorrow, so we can toast from afar to a long day of hard work!) 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2014, 07:45:51 PM »
Had to re-do the end on the slope,putting new boards on to fill in.Came in for an ice water break,just need to drill and screw on the trex piece,pics tonight later...... :)

Offline spuds

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2014, 09:50:47 PM »
Replaced the stakes with taller ones,removed the trex board and top and second board are pressure treated 2x6.Trex will go on bottom against dirt.Needs to last 40 years,Im 57 now,figure 97 about right. 8)

Used small floor jack to raise the frame,worked well,then attached to stakes

A lot of slope to fill in yet,will get boards tomorrow to do sides.This base has become a lot more project than I thought thanks to the slopes.

Coming along nicely,slow and steady and not killing myself. :D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:21:36 PM by spuds »

Offline hikerman

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2014, 10:25:48 PM »
It's really looking good Spuds! A good foundation makes everything easier and better!  And a nice gathering of critters!