Author Topic: Mr BBQ Challenge  (Read 1704 times)

Offline BAM1

Mr BBQ Challenge
« Reply #-1 on: June 23, 2014, 08:21:50 PM »
Judged the Mr BBQ Challenge KCBS event in Davenport Iowa yesterday.  4 of the top 30 teams in the country were there including last years National Team of the year TRUEBUD and The $50,000 KIngsford champion Iowa's Smokey D's.  To say the least, the scores were high and the Q was awesome.
BAMBQ KCBS BBQ Team
Traeger Texas model 075 w/Savannah Stoker
GMG Jim Bowie
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID and 900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Backwoods Fatboy
Charbroil SRG
Kamodo Big Joe
2 Gateway Drum smokers
KCBS CBJ

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Mr BBQ Challenge
« on: June 23, 2014, 08:25:08 PM »
Got some pics BAM? Tell us what stood out and anything that you saw or ate that was unique please!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 10:30:51 PM »
Got some pics BAM? Tell us what stood out and anything that you saw or ate that was unique please!

Yeah what T said!!!

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 10:38:37 PM »
WOW, For me it would be difficult to judge on the standards and what actually tasted the best. Must be a fun time Bryan.

Offline BAM1

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 11:38:46 PM »
Sorry, can't take photo in the judging tent.  The thing that stands out the most is the briskets that the top teams turn in.  Many buy multi packs from SNF as I've witnessed a few of them throwing their empty boxes in the trash.  It's tuff to score but I try to sit at a table with atleast one or two Master Judges I've met over the last couple of years and have learned quite A BIT FROM.
BAMBQ KCBS BBQ Team
GMG Jim Bowie
Backwoods Fatboy
Charbroil SRG
Kamodo Big Joe
2 Gateway Drum smokers
KCBS CBJ

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 01:48:28 AM »
Sounds like a great time.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline bigdaddydan

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 10:21:01 AM »
That's one of those competitions that has been on my list for quite some time. Somewhat close to home, but seeing different competitors than we have seen in the Northern Illinois/Wisconsin area. That Iowa Smokey D's is a unbelievable brisket cooker.  Those SRF Briskets are super expensive and sometimes hard to justify. We got in on a stellar deal which still broke down to about $120 each for a 14-16 lb'er, but after these 4 I'm not sure I would cook them again. We've been sticking in the Wisconsin area, but heading down to Sam's Club in Indy this weekend. Some heavy hitters out there, but it should be a fun time. Glad you had fun judging there and thank you for being a judge to make competing possible.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 12:42:38 PM »
I have a question?  Tasting all this great bbq at comps does it alter the way you cook your BBQ at home? 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline bigdaddydan

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 02:12:03 PM »
Sad to say for me, I don't cook at home what I cook at a competition. You have basically one bite , maybe 2 to wow a judge. When I cook at home, I like to cook many different regional types of food.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »
I think it is safe - and fair - to say that we can all cook better at home than at a competition, simply because our time, and our methods are not limited to the rules governing comps.

Having said that - there are always good ideas/tricks that one can use in both locations.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 05:13:40 PM »
I agree!  At least when I'm cooking at home, everyone thinks my food is great ! ! ! !

But I do think that tricks, tips, etc. that I've picked up in competition have impacted what I do at home.  For instance, prior to last year, I never did any KCBS events.  So, I always cooked baby backs, now that I've been exposed to cooking spares (the KCBS way) I'm planning on going that route at my annual July 4th Family Pig Out next week.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline BAM1

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 09:52:49 PM »
The biggest thing I've learned as both a KCBS Judge and KCBS competition team.  Is that you have one bite to wow the judges so most cicken and ribs are over sauced, and butts and brisket injected.  It's that fine line between tasting beef or beef broth.  Plus at home you serve all three racks of ribs not just 6 - 8 bones and I don't know what most of you cook/smoke at home but my meat doesn't all come from SRF. :)
BAMBQ KCBS BBQ Team
GMG Jim Bowie
Backwoods Fatboy
Charbroil SRG
Kamodo Big Joe
2 Gateway Drum smokers
KCBS CBJ

Offline bigdaddydan

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 07:20:31 AM »
Now that I think about it, I cook Chicken and ribs almost the same at home as I do for competition minus a step or 2. When it comes to ribs they are almost step for step. When it comes to chicken, I rarely cook thighs at home, I love cooking whole birds. I brine just like I would, I use the same seasoning, I just cook whole birds instead of just thighs. I have so much left over pork from each competition it's not even funny. Usually I bag it and sell it to neighbors and co-workers to help offset costs of competitions. However when I do cook pork at home it is the same quality meat. I have found a pork that is described to me as a hybrid of Berkshire and Compart and it is out of this world. It has the creamiest pork flavor I have ever tasted in my life. I don't cook brisket at home at all unless it's for a customer.

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 07:49:59 AM »
Interesting,thanks.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 02:16:12 PM »
The biggest thing I've learned as both a KCBS Judge and KCBS competition team.  Is that you have one bite to wow the judges so most cicken and ribs are over sauced, and butts and brisket injected.  It's that fine line between tasting beef or beef broth.  Plus at home you serve all three racks of ribs not just 6 - 8 bones and I don't know what most of you cook/smoke at home but my meat doesn't all come from SRF. :)

Yeah, I really do LOVE my family, too, but, they are going to have to settle for Sam's for the July 4th Pig Out ! ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC