Author Topic: Poor Man's Burnt Ends  (Read 8466 times)

Offline rmalik1

Poor Man's Burnt Ends
« Reply #-1 on: September 23, 2020, 02:42:37 AM »
Has anyone smoked a beef chuck roast to make poor man's burnt ends?  How did it come out on the SRG, any insight for my cook! Guess the roast will be 2.5 to 3 lbs (from walmart).

Used more LP gas than I've ever have before-cooking on the SRG more than I ever cooked on any other grill/smoker I ever owned!

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Poor Man's Burnt Ends
« on: September 23, 2020, 06:04:41 AM »
TMB is our go-to on the virtues of the SRG.  The only thing I can offer is that in general - long cook times at low-n-slow temperatures yield a more tender chuck. Now...I am thinking that if you cook it in the SRG hot and fast, then cube it up and cook the cubed meat as burnt ends, ....I "think" you would get enough cook time  - and because they are small pieces...they should be tender. No fall apart tender - but good.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline rmalik1

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 10:04:51 AM »
TMB is our go-to on the virtues of the SRG.  The only thing I can offer is that in general - long cook times at low-n-slow temperatures yield a more tender chuck. Now...I am thinking that if you cook it in the SRG hot and fast, then cube it up and cook the cubed meat as burnt ends, ....I "think" you would get enough cook time  - and because they are small pieces...they should be tender. No fall apart tender - but good.
The recipe I seen, did cube it and re-cook the cubes.

Offline rmalik1

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2020, 10:12:19 AM »
here's the recipe I was thinking of using, but knowing that it's being cooked in a SRG.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 12:16:45 PM »
I have cooked a chuckie in my SRG but not for burnt ends.  But I will tell you it could be done and here is how....

Cook your chuckie in the SRG like a butt that means low setting and smoke rolling til and IT of about 190.   Use the half racks and place them about half way up the basket.

Remove cut into chunks then toss into a tray with your sauce. I would wrap the tray with foil and install the SRG grate, place the tray (sealed) and cook low setting for a half hour lid up because it will get way to hot and and sugar in the sauce would burn. Ck for tenderness if needed cook another half hour sealed

If you need more info let me know
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline rmalik1

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 01:20:23 PM »
I have cooked a chuckie in my SRG but not for burnt ends.  But I will tell you it could be done and here is how....

Cook your chuckie in the SRG like a butt that means low setting and smoke rolling til and IT of about 190.   Use the half racks and place them about half way up the basket.

Remove cut into chunks then toss into a tray with your sauce. I would wrap the tray with foil and install the SRG grate, place the tray (sealed) and cook low setting for a half hour lid up because it will get way to hot and and sugar in the sauce would burn. Ck for tenderness if needed cook another half hour sealed

Sounds good!
If I can't find a foil tray to fit I'll just wrap in foil? Does it matter If I smoke roast in bottom of basket or at the top of the basket? I have a very temp probe a ThermoWorks DOT

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2020, 04:04:30 PM »

Sounds good!
If I can't find a foil tray to fit I'll just wrap in foil? Does it matter If I smoke roast in bottom of basket or at the top of the basket? I have a very temp probe a ThermoWorks DOT
Use the half racks you got with the SRG place them halfway in the basket and smoke/cook on lowest setting you can and place a probe in the middle of the chuckie best you can and carry it to 180 to 190 because your not pulling it apart like a butt you want it tender though.  Yes you can foil but your gonna have sauce it it si it might leak out    You can get them at Wally World or Dollar Gen stores  just make sur you can fit it on top of the grate and close the lid if you have to

I would also use HD foil so you know the moisture will not get out or you will dry out the chunks 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline rmalik1

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2020, 11:36:21 PM »
let you know how it turns out

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 08:11:45 AM »
let you know how it turns out
please do..    Like I said I have cooked chuckies but never did them for burnt ends this way
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker