Author Topic: Hang a brisket or fat side down on the PBC grate? How often to mop?  (Read 13204 times)

Offline gigama

Hang a brisket or fat side down on the PBC grate? How often to mop?
« Reply #-1 on: July 29, 2019, 01:33:59 PM »
Greetings everyone

I am doing a full packer brisket this weekend.  I wondered if it might be better to put it on the PBC fat side down on the grate rather than hanging it so the flat won't be too close to the coals.  Do you guys ever flip brisket on the PBC if you do this to prevent the bottom from getting charred? Any tips are appreciated

Also- I have a great mop sauce recipe, see below.  Do you wait an hour or so before hitting the brisket with mop sauce the first time and then every hour after that, or do you have different timing options to get it just right.

Thanks in advance.  Here is a nice mop sauce recipe to try, give it a shot on your next cook.  The beer drinking tips are crucial for success

Ingredients
1 tablespoon paprika

2 teaspoons black pepper

2 teaspoons American chili powder

1 teaspoon cumin powder

1 tablespoon of butter *

1 medium onion, finely chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed

1 green bell pepper, chopped

1 cup Lone Star beer (or any other lager)

1/4 cup ketchup

1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons steak sauce

2 tablespoons brown sugar

2 teaspoons of hot sauce

2 cups beef, veal, or chicken stock

About the butter. Butter work fine, but to make it authentic, use rendered beef fat from the a brisket.

Do this
1) Mix the paprika, black pepper, American chili powder, and cumin in a small bowl.

2) In a small saucepan, melt the butter or fat and gently cook the onion over medium heat until translucent.

3) Add the garlic, bell pepper, and the spice mix. Stir, and cook for two minutes to extract the flavors.

4) Add the stock and the rest of the ingredients. Drink the remaining beer. Stir until well blended. Simmer on medium for 15 minutes. Taste and adjust as needed. Divide it in half and use half to mop the meat when cooking. Use the remainder to splash on the meat when you serve it.

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
I hung my packer because it was too long for the grate at first.  After about 3 hrs I moved to rack fat side down to help protect the meat from the heat.  I just rubbed it with salt pepper garlic the day before and let it ride with no mope or spraying.  This was almost a year ago and on lack of sleep with a 6 month old at the time so sleep derivation is fogging my memory.  Moisture from the grease fog was enough, and it was super tender.  Out of a 13lb packer between 10 guys, maybe 1lb was left, and I had roast pork, Chicken, beans, slaw, chips and dip to finish out the spread for our Fantasy Football draft. https://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=23023
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline mikeharold

• Central Coast, Cali.
Re: Hang a brisket or fat side down on the PBC grate? How often to mop?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 01:16:22 AM »
I've done a few whole packers now and they have all fit on the grate so I just go fat down and let it ride. I don't use a mop so can't help there, but can say they came out awesome! No flipping is needed either, just let it go.
MAK 1 star #1184
Santa Maria open pit BBQ
PBC
Blackstone 36" Griddle
Uuni 2s
Weber 22" kettle w/slow-n-sear

Offline Scgator

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 09:46:51 PM »
What was the total cook time on the full packers?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 10:40:02 PM »
I don't have a PBC, but as far as mopping goes, I tried it a few times years ago (on another charcoal burner) and promptly gave it up.  I don't think it adds anything but more cook time, especially if you're using a good rub.   
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 04:48:01 AM »

13lb brisket on the PBC took almost 10 hours.  I had both rebar in and I think I may have covered the holes a little with aluminum foil to lower the temp in the PBC a bit.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline gigama

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 09:40:54 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Looking forward to firing it up on Saturday.  i am going to use the Oakridge Special Ops Brisket rub and some Kosmos Q beef and phosphate injection. 

Great site, thanks again for the help

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 03:45:16 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Looking forward to firing it up on Saturday.  i am going to use the Oakridge Special Ops Brisket rub and some Kosmos Q beef and phosphate injection. 

I LOVE the Oakridge Black Ops Brisket Rub. Post a few photos of your cook!
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline Smokin Papa Steve

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 10:25:53 AM »

I LOVE the Oakridge Black Ops Brisket Rub. Post a few photos of your cook!

If the packer is too big for the grate, just fold it to make it fit.  After a couple of hours it will shrink and fit on the grate without a fold

Offline Scgator

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 08:24:59 PM »

13lb brisket on the PBC took almost 10 hours.  I had both rebar in and I think I may have covered the holes a little with aluminum foil to lower the temp in the PBC a bit.
Thanks!