Author Topic: Drill Attachment Pork Butt Puller  (Read 4779 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Drill Attachment Pork Butt Puller
« Reply #-1 on: February 11, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »
I have one of these and it does tear up a butt fast. I'm not say I got mine from this fellow it's just the first one that popped up. I'm sure his is better ;D
http://www.barbecuenews.com/news/article_81.asp

But it also tears up your pots ;D

When I'm pulling apart a butt now I take the time to remove anything that does not look good so I might as well keep going. Will look for some bear claws
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Drill Attachment Pork Butt Puller
« on: February 11, 2014, 11:23:07 AM »
There is just something cathartic about reaching in with a pair of gloves on and (while burning the heck out of my hands) tearing up the pork.  I like big chunks as opposed to a fine pull, and that is the best way to do it IMO.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 12:04:25 PM »
I am with Chris. I don't like the "drill powered pork pullers" They destroy the "bite" and turn pork into the makins' for Sloppy Joes.....They shred indiscriminately. I don;t even like the Bear Claws. Bought a pair, and - just felt like they were in my way...And - as you pointed out Drew - they destroy the container. ( Gee I wonder how much aluminum out of that pot is in the pork....? NONE would be better... ;D)

Remember the "glove" thread. Well - here is where the Fryer Gloves come in particularly handy. They are so well insulated - yet flexible - that they make fast work out of real "pulled" pork.
And enough of the muscle structure stays intact - so that you get a nice textured bite.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 12:14:01 PM »
I can see where that would be usefull.  If you have to pull a hundred pounds, and dont want to take all day.  I rarely do  over ten pounds, at a time.  Normally I cook five pound butts.  I just use rubber gloves and a fork or two.  I can also sample some while I am doing it.
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 12:29:24 PM »
Remember the "glove" thread. Well - here is where the Fryer Gloves come in particularly handy. They are so well insulated - yet flexible - that they make fast work out of real "pulled" pork.
And enough of the muscle structure stays intact - so that you get a nice textured bite.
[/quote]

I do remember the Gloves they are on my list. I will go for them before the claws.

Thanks ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 12:49:33 PM »
There is just something cathartic about reaching in with a pair of gloves on and (while burning the heck out of my hands) tearing up the pork.  I like big chunks as opposed to a fine pull, and that is the best way to do it IMO.

I'm with you on this one, put on a pair of food handlers gloves, have a cold beer close by and start pulling.  :)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Pappymn

Drill Attachment Pork Butt Puller
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 07:42:38 PM »
A solution in search of a problem ;D
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 07:43:57 PM »
Well...BBQers as a group love our gadgets....... :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 09:12:58 PM »
A food paper shredder may be on shark tank next, confetti pork or plane shred :)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 07:45:58 PM »

I absolutely agree 100%. I got a pair of the Summit "fryer gloves" (which are good for up to 400° F).

These gloves, coupled with a good heavy knife chef knife and a disposable cutting board, are all I need to make quick work of multiple shoulders when cooking for a large crowd. And like Tee said, the texture is great.

Here's Chris Lilly pulling/chopping about 30 lbs of pork butts in 2 minutes!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68