Author Topic: Texas Beef Sausage  (Read 7669 times)

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
Texas Beef Sausage
« Reply #-1 on: October 19, 2022, 06:32:04 PM »
i Have made some sausage with pork and lamb to pretty good success.  MY efforts at Texas beef sausage had not been good.  Does anyone have a good recipe and procedure to make some good beef sausage?

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
Re: Texas Beef Sausage
« on: October 21, 2022, 03:26:47 AM »
Carl, I can give you the exact recipe for Central Texas beef sausage from Smitty's in Lockhart. They make the best and it is actually pretty simple. This came straight from the guy actually making the sausage at Smitty's as I was watching him.

85% beef (they use brisket trimmings)
15% pork (mostly pork fat)
1 part Salt
3 parts course Black Pepper
A little Cayenne Pepper to taste

That's it. No curing salts or any other spices. Put it on the smoker as soon as it is stuffed and take it to about 160 degrees internal. The guy doing the smoking didn't know how hot his smoker was, but he thought it was running about 210 to 220 degrees. He experimented with the cayenne until he got the taste that he wanted. It shouldn't be too spicey cayenne hot but mostly a peppery hot. They call these Texas Hot Guts for a reason. The sausage tastes wonderful right off the smoker, but you can freeze them and they still taste good when thawed.

I tried this recipe and I think that I got pretty close to the taste of Smitty's (and almost all central Texas sausage).  A few years ago, I brought one batch of this recipe to Jaxon's Cookout in Byron, GA to share with all my BBQ friends that I have met on this forum and nobody complained about it. (At least not to my face.) Now they did complain about the dry aged brisket I brought that was supposed to go along with the sausage for a true Texas BBQ meal, but that's another story that Turtle loves to tell over and over (and I'm sure he will).

Good luck with your try at Texas Beef Sausage. When you get it just right, it will taste spectacular. I'll be pulling for you.

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 08:00:34 AM »
Thanks Don.  My old result was a dry crumbly sausage, not the juicy, tasty ones I have had in Texas.  I saw some recipes on the Google, but wanted to find one from here.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2022, 08:34:17 AM »
Carl, I can give you the exact recipe for Central Texas beef sausage from Smitty's in Lockhart. They make the best and it is actually pretty simple. This came straight from the guy actually making the sausage at Smitty's as I was watching him.

85% beef (they use brisket trimmings)
15% pork (mostly pork fat)
1 part Salt
3 parts course Black Pepper
A little Cayenne Pepper to taste

That's it. No curing salts or any other spices. Put it on the smoker as soon as it is stuffed and take it to about 160 degrees internal. The guy doing the smoking didn't know how hot his smoker was, but he thought it was running about 210 to 220 degrees. He experimented with the cayenne until he got the taste that he wanted. It shouldn't be too spicey cayenne hot but mostly a peppery hot. They call these Texas Hot Guts for a reason. The sausage tastes wonderful right off the smoker, but you can freeze them and they still taste good when thawed.

I tried this recipe and I think that I got pretty close to the taste of Smitty's (and almost all central Texas sausage).  A few years ago, I brought one batch of this recipe to Jaxon's Cookout in Byron, GA to share with all my BBQ friends that I have met on this forum and nobody complained about it. (At least not to my face.) Now they did complain about the dry aged brisket I brought that was supposed to go along with the sausage for a true Texas BBQ meal, but that's another story that Turtle loves to tell over and over (and I'm sure he will).

Good luck with your try at Texas Beef Sausage. When you get it just right, it will taste spectacular. I'll be pulling for you.

Don..how much is a part? I like the seasoning plain like this. Thanks for the recipe.  Pammie
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2022, 12:14:13 PM »
...Now they did complain about the dry aged brisket I brought that was supposed to go along with the sausage for a true Texas BBQ meal, but that's another story that Turtle loves to tell over and over (and I'm sure he will).

But, luckily for you (and all our brethren and sistren), not today.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion