Author Topic: Any advice for country style ribs  (Read 2800 times)

Offline grossie

Any advice for country style ribs
« Reply #-1 on: May 28, 2014, 09:27:43 PM »
I've had great luck with baby backs and whole chickens (well half chickens, to be precise). Most recently, I've had the best wings I've ever cooked, all thanks to my PBC.

We've got a carry-in at work on Friday and expectations have increased for my contribution. :-)

I was thinking I'd "work" from home Friday morning and cook something, foil it, and bring it in for the lunch. While at the grocery, I found a pretty good deal on country style ribs. I picked them up, coated them with my rubs, sealed them, and stuffed them in the fridge.

All is good, so far...now, does anyone have any suggestions for cooking them on the PBC? I'm thinking put them on the rack and cook them to 165, put some sauce on them and get it nice and caramelized. How does that sound? Any advice would be appreciated.

Grossie
PBC
Cabela's Ultimate Cookstation
Pizza oven for above
TBE
BEESR

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Any advice for country style ribs
« on: May 28, 2014, 10:39:19 PM »
i'll take some of the ribs your talking about.  just make those ones.  sounds real good.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 10:47:32 PM »
Country Style Ribs ( CSR's) are made from cross-cuts in a Boston Butt. Because there is good fat distribution, they are pretty forgiving about final temps. 165 may be good - but I am thinking you might be better up to 185F as long as you are basting or wrapping them after they hit somewhere around 140F. Hold in the moisture, and let them ride in foil with your favorite liquid combo (  some like brown sugar or honey - or even maple syrup, butter, and a dribble or two of soy sauce ). By letting them come up in temp - over about 3 hours - you allow enough time and heat to break down the tough connective membranes ( silverskin) in between the muscle groups, and the fats can liquify better to moisturize the meat internally.

So, they should be tender , and not a "tug -o''war" ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline grossie

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 10:12:04 AM »
Thanks for the comments.

I think I'll try your suggestion, Teesquare. Although, I just got my morning schedule stomped on, so it looks like I'll need to be in the office in the morning. I'm thinking I'll do the cook tonight, then figure out the best way to warm the CSRs up tomorrow.

PBC
Pizza oven for above
TBE
BEESR

Offline grossie

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 07:58:18 PM »
Rookie mistake - don't assume that you have squeeze margarine, just because you had it last time. Especially after you kids come home from college for the summer.

The CSRs came up to 140 in about 35-40 minutes. I think I'm going to try less than a full basket of charcoal next time. :-(

I drizzled honey and poured bbq sauce over them, wrapped them in foil and put them back on. I'll have to keep an eye on them, they have been heating up fast.
PBC
Pizza oven for above
TBE
BEESR

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 09:15:25 PM »
I think I'm going to try less than a full basket of charcoal next time. :-(

I really suggest not doing that. The temps will not be the same with less charcoal.

If you are worried about losing extra charcoal you can plug the holes to stop the burn. Then you will need less coals for next time
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 09:35:54 PM »

I really suggest not doing that. The temps will not be the same with less charcoal.

If you are worried about losing extra charcoal you can plug the holes to stop the burn. Then you will need less coals for next time
How are you plugging the holes Mike?
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 09:48:02 PM »

How are you plugging the holes Mike?

I don't I just let it burn but you could plug them with foil and close the air shutter. Or may you can drop a large metal pail over the charcoal basket after your done cooking to cover the coals and extinguish them.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline grossie

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 02:07:39 PM »
Actually, I was hoping to slow the cook down, take longer, and do a better job rendering the fat. You suggested three hours earlier, and I thought that sounded good. It took less than an hour with a full basket. Any other suggestions for slowing it down? I was using the rack, I could hang them all, I suppose.

They turned out good, I just think the fat could have rendered better.

Thanks for all the advice.

[attachment deleted by admin]
PBC
Pizza oven for above
TBE
BEESR

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 02:31:08 PM »
Sounds like it is "running' hot"....Maybe try closing down the intake shutter some....and leave the lid on the pit.

The more open the air intake, the more combustion air can be drawn in...and if you open the lid - or leave it cocked open any...you will accelerate the "venturi" effect and the pit will draw in more air thru the intake, stoking the coals - thus running the temps up more.

It is all about fire management. And - the adjustment should be reasonable in size, not huge. As well - you need to have an infrared thermometer to measure the grate temps after making adjustments and allowing the pit to settle in. This could take 30-45 minutes after the adjustment.

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline grossie

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 03:40:34 PM »
I'll try closing the shutter some. I actually had the lid on (took it off for the photo). The hanging rods were in, so I didn't think it would cook that fast.
Good advice. Thanks!
PBC
Pizza oven for above
TBE
BEESR