Author Topic: How long for a Boston butt?  (Read 874 times)

Offline Bob c cue

How long for a Boston butt?
« Reply #-1 on: June 08, 2014, 10:32:02 AM »
Planning on doing a 3lb Boston butt today on the PBC. If I follow Noah's video of wrapping at 160 and removing at 195, any idea how long those two steps will take? I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Offline aliengriller

Re: How long for a Boston butt?
« on: June 08, 2014, 01:17:53 PM »
Shouldn't take too long to get to 160 with that size butt.   So much depends on how hot you let it cook--butts do much better at a low, slow temp.   I usually count on 1.5 hrs/lb at about 225-240, but that's doing much larger pieces.  Use a probe and/or a GOOD instant read thermometer to really know.   Even with the probe (I have the Maverick 732--the best, IMHO) you need to be sure in different places with the instant read.   Then, again, let it SLOWLY get up to 200-205 IF you're going to pull it.   Takes the long, slow method to break down the collagen and fat to melt.    IF you don't do that, your meat will not be that tender and moist.   

Offline Bob c cue

Re: How long for a Boston butt?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 01:47:57 PM »
Shouldn't take too long to get to 160 with that size butt.   So much depends on how hot you let it cook--butts do much better at a low, slow temp.   I usually count on 1.5 hrs/lb at about 225-240, but that's doing much larger pieces.  Use a probe and/or a GOOD instant read thermometer to really know.   Even with the probe (I have the Maverick 732--the best, IMHO) you need to be sure in different places with the instant read.   Then, again, let it SLOWLY get up to 200-205 IF you're going to pull it.   Takes the long, slow method to break down the collagen and fat to melt.    IF you don't do that, your meat will not be that tender and moist.   
Thanks for the suggestions.Appreciate it.