Author Topic: Shopping for a gasser  (Read 14409 times)

Offline ronman451

• Albuquerque, New Mexico
Shopping for a gasser
« Reply #-1 on: February 03, 2019, 09:52:01 PM »
My old trusty gasser finally bit the dust today. I've been keeping it together with baling wire and aluminum foil.

I'm seriously considering these two models: Weber Genesis II SE-410 and the Napoleon Prestige 500 with side searing burner and back rotisserie burner included. Links below.

https://www.atbbq.com/weber-genesis-ii-se-410-gas-grill-lp-free-gift-card.html

https://www.atbbq.com/napoleon-grills-prestige-500-p500rsib-1.html

I'd like a searing burner for finishing off reverse-seared steaks cooked in the pellet smoker, and the rotisserie is pretty cool, but they aren't deal-breakers. Both have stainless grill grates which I like. Also, the Napoleon has an optional charcoal insert which seems handy...

Anyone out there have experience with Napoleon? or with the newer Weber Genesis II series?
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline rwalters

Shopping for a gasser
« on: February 03, 2019, 10:38:23 PM »
Although I have had several Weber Genesis grills over the years (and loved em’ all), I keep reading complaints about the new ones not being able to get hot enough for a proper sear. I know nothing about the Napoleons. Personally, I think if I were in the market for a gasser I’d probably go with an older Genesis that’s been well kept. They just don’t make em’ like they used to...

Sorry if this is no help.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 11:59:05 PM by rwalters »
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline ronman451

Re: Shopping for a gasser
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 10:13:33 AM »
Although I have had several Weber Genesis grills over the years (and loved em’ all), I keep reading complaints about the new ones not being able to get hot enough for a proper sear. I know nothing about the Napoleons. Personally, I think if I were in the market for a gasser I’d probably go with an older Genesis that’s been well kept. They just don’t make em’ like they used to...

Interesting. I've heard this about Weber now from a couple of folks. I don't use a gas grill a lot these days, but when I do, I like a nice hot fire. I have natural gas plumbing in my backyard, but I hear that natural gas grills are not as hot as LP, so I scratched them off my list.

Consumer Reports has an article about hot gas grills with some interesting heat maps here...

https://www.consumerreports.org/gas-grills/is-your-grill-hot-enough/

I've been reading quite a few bad reviews on the Napoleon as well, specifically concerning customer service, rusting, faulty searing burners. Malcolm Reed does some rotisserie cooking on one that originally piqued my interest...I'm not sure what to do now. I thought if I picked a mid-price point of $1K, I'd be able to find a really solid gas grill. The quest continues!
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Offline rwalters

Shopping for a gasser
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 11:44:57 AM »

Interesting. I've heard this about Weber now from a couple of folks. I don't use a gas grill a lot these days, but when I do, I like a nice hot fire. I have natural gas plumbing in my backyard, but I hear that natural gas grills are not as hot as LP, so I scratched them off my list.

Consumer Reports has an article about hot gas grills with some interesting heat maps here...

https://www.consumerreports.org/gas-grills/is-your-grill-hot-enough/

I've been reading quite a few bad reviews on the Napoleon as well, specifically concerning customer service, rusting, faulty searing burners. Malcolm Reed does some rotisserie cooking on one that originally piqued my interest...I'm not sure what to do now. I thought if I picked a mid-price point of $1K, I'd be able to find a really solid gas grill. The quest continues!
If you want a new grill vs a well kept used... then if in your shoes I’d still go with the Weber. Overall, I do not believe you can beat Weber. They now offer a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty I believe. That’s crazy good! As far as the reported lack of searing power, get a set of GrillGrates and you should be good to go. The last Genesis model I had was a 2014 model. It had the sear burner which definitely helped. Shortly after buying it I decided to completely change out the stock cooking grates with a set of 5 19.25” GG panels. If instantly turned that Genesis into an AMAZING gas grill. One thing that I quickly learned was that after replacing the stock grates with GG’s the medium heat settings were now the high heat settings. In other words, because of the way that GG’s suppress heat in the belly of the cooker, you really don’t want to exceed medium heat (you can go a tad higher than medium with no issue if needed) as it’s just to much suppressed heat in the belly of the cooking chamber. That said, you don’t need to as the GG’s were plenty hot for proper searing... especially if you flip them upside down and sear on the flat surface. Another benefit of being able to grill with ‘medium’ heat is that you’ll save on fuel. Side note, but if you enjoy chicken wings, the Genesis equipped with GG’s was my all time favorite chicken wing cooker. Set the burners to just above low, place the wings on the GG’s and flip about every 15 mins. About an hour later you will have perfectly cooked wings :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 02:59:11 PM »
Weber Q grills are nice.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline zueth

Shopping for a gasser
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 04:41:41 PM »
I have a old Webber with grill grates and love it. My Webber is 15 years old and still works great.

I would buy a Webber and buy Grill Grates at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 04:50:37 PM »
If I were going for a gasser, I'd probably look for used Weber.  For the most, parts are plentiful and with a looking, you can probably get a really good cooker for next to nothing.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 03:18:35 AM »
I bought an early 2000s Weber Genesis (off craigslist for $75), and have slowly upgrades everything (burners, manifold, and grillgrates).  Overall it was cheaper than buying a new one.

Going through HD/Lowe's at end of season you can always find the floor model for a nice discount.  I found a 6 burner Weber for $800 down from $1300. I almost pulled the trigger but I wanted to keep sleeping in my bed....
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 10:52:48 AM »
I am the resident cheapo on here & I bought a sears a few years ago medium large with fold out shelf. Love it! This will be five years this year if it makes it. I had a brand new as a gift 1987 Genesis grill that fell apart in a few years. Love the band hated the grill.

Since then I have gone for the cheapos. My fiesta lasted 10 years (99.00) & my sears (139.00) again will be 5 years if it makes it to the end of this year. I am as happy with it as Johnny Carson was with his wives. Go a few years & move on to the next. Hey if it goes six or seven all the better. But change is good both with grills & in your pocket. With all my grills I have spent less then one fancy pellet grill.

But don't listen to me I am not normal lol
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline rwalters

Shopping for a gasser
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 11:26:16 AM »
I am the resident cheapo on here & I bought a sears a few years ago medium large with fold out shelf. Love it! This will be five years this year if it makes it. I had a brand new as a gift 1987 Genesis grill that fell apart in a few years. Love the band hated the grill.

Since then I have gone for the cheapos. My fiesta lasted 10 years (99.00) & my sears (139.00) again will be 5 years if it makes it to the end of this year. I am as happy with it as Johnny Carson was with his wives. Go a few years & move on to the next. Hey if it goes six or seven all the better. But change is good both with grills & in your pocket. With all my grills I have spent less then one fancy pellet grill.

So does that mean a Kalamazoo is out of the question for you?

Cheap skate! ;-)

Offline ronman451

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 12:09:05 PM »
Thanks everyone. All good advice and input!

I'm shifting gears a little bit and looking seriously at the sub-$500 market now, as well as used Webers on Craigslist. Cooks Illustrated rated the entry-level Weber Spirit II E-310 highly, and the price-point just dropped to $450, so I'm considering that one. There are a few on CL for $250-300. I found a great deal on a very clean high-end Weber Summit 4-burner in Denver for about $800, and if it's still for sale next week, I just might make a little road-trip and buy it. There's a Lumberjack pellet reseller up there too, so I could pick up my 2019 pellet supply...

Doing the taxes now, so depending on the size of the check I have to write to Uncle Sam, the gasser project may be put on hold!
Ron

-Memphis Elite
-PBC
-Weber Genesis II
-Weber 26" Kettle

Online Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 12:13:06 PM »

Cheap skate! ;-)

Hope that comes with a bathroom, cause I'd have to get a mortgage in order to afford it ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 01:21:31 PM »

Cheap skate! ;-)

I could handle the $95.00 of it but as far as I am concerned that baby is on the moon lol
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Hub

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 03:20:39 PM »
Whatever you wind up with, get a set of GrillGrates to fit it.  You will be absolutely amazed at the flavor impact.  Moving the sizzle right up under the meat when grilling makes gas grills a viable flavor contender for steaks and burgers.  I have no financial stake in GrillGrates but their product is fantastic.
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Pappymn

Shopping for a gasser
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 03:24:26 PM »
Whatever you wind up with, get a set of GrillGrates to fit it.  You will be absolutely amazed at the flavor impact.  Moving the sizzle right up under the meat when grilling makes gas grills a viable flavor contender for steaks and burgers.  I have no financial stake in GrillGrates but their product is fantastic.
And don't forget the flat side which I use more then the other side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109