Author Topic: New Pizza Oven on the way!  (Read 13702 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
New Pizza Oven on the way!
« Reply #-1 on: April 22, 2019, 01:31:09 PM »
I don't know what has come over me lately. I have gotten back into a cooking groove. I think it's because I am dealing with some stuff with my dad, as y'all know he's in hospice care. I think cooking has always been cathartic for me and it must indeed be because I keep buying cooking gadgets!

I already have an Uuni 2s that I made my own flame shield for and bought a $100.00 baking steel for and haven't used in maybe a year and a half, lol. It's not that I don't like the Uuni, it's just kind of a pain to make the pizza, slap it in the oven and then also worry about fire management. I have threatened to sell it before but haven't really tried so it still sits unused.

Since I have gotten into making pasta, the pizza maker in me wants to get back into making pizza again so I have been eyeing the Roccbox but to be honest, I don't want to spend $600.00 so I found the new Uuni (now called Ooni) Koda. It's a gas powered device and it's half the price of the Roccbox. It is a one trick pony, gas only, but that's okay. I already have a pellet powered one. I actually bought it off of ebay last night. They had a "or best offer" button so I offered the seller $250.00 and they accepted it! So, $250 and free shipping seemed like a good deal to me.

I most likely won't have it until Friday and I may be heading back to South Carolina to handle some more of my dad's business so it may be a while before I get to use it. I will report back with a review of sorts and my overall opinion of the Koda. I think I'm going to like it though, call it a hunch :)
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline bamabob

• Way Down South in Alabama
Re: New Pizza Oven on the way!
« on: April 22, 2019, 06:37:39 PM »
Prayers to your dad Jason. 

I've never had a pizza in an Uni, Ooni, but I find a pizza in the keg hard to beat.  Looking forward to seeing your experienced expert review and results.  Maybe even a pizza throwdown on your different pizza cookers!   :P :P
Sometimes you have to go in a circle to reach your destination.

Big Steel Keg
Weber Summit Gold C4

Offline RG

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 07:37:01 PM »
Prayers to your dad Jason. 

I've never had a pizza in an Uni, Ooni, but I find a pizza in the keg hard to beat.  Looking forward to seeing your experienced expert review and results.  Maybe even a pizza throwdown on your different pizza cookers!   :P :P

Thanks for the kind words Bob. I haven't baked a pizza outside in a long time, sad to say. You're right, the Keg does make a great pie!  I haven't used my sole remaining Keg in a LONG time, kind of ashamed to admit that. As for a throwdown, those days are long gone my friend. I just don't have the inclination to do those these days. I am sure the Ooni will be more like the other Uuni as far as what it can produce, which is more of a smaller, lighter dough pizza than what I cook on the Keg. The Keg can do heavily topped, thicker pies but the Ooni is not meant for that.

I have learned though, that I actually prefer a less is more type pie. A nice pillowy dough with a no cook sauce, fresh mozz, some fresh basil, a little EVOO and some pamesan or pecorino romano and you're good to go! The main thing I am looking for is ease of use and speed. It being gas fired means a consistent temp, no reloading of pellets, no worrying about being too hot or not hot enough. No worrying about lighting a Keg, letting it burn for an hour to get the heat I want and to burn off the bad smoke. Just fire it up, wait 15-20 minutes to get a good stable heat and BAM! Pizza in the oven for 60-90 seconds.

One thing I like about the new one is that it's like the Roccbox, no door! These little ovens are actually fun to cook on. I like reaching in with the peel and sliding the pizza around. It makes you feel like a pizzaiolo, lol.

I am going to give the Uuni 2s a good cleaning and decide what to do with it. I may keep it (the hoarder in me talking) or I may send it packing. Time will tell! The new kid will be here Thursday so I'll at least get to look at it if nothing else :P

Once I actually make some pies, I'll make a post for sure.

A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 08:44:57 PM »
The Wall Street journal featured that Roccbox last week. Looks cool. Then I saw the price....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 09:39:42 AM »
RG I see you opening an Italian restaurant some day soon (LOL).

I have to tell the truth here I bought a gas powered Pizza oven (not allowed to say the name on here) four years ago...…..& have not used it once. Between My mom my Aunt, my kids & my dogs health problems..&...now my in-laws there is just no time. On top of that My daughter is now a Vegan & my wife is a part time vegetarian. Plus on top of that my son does not like pizza.

I wish I could just fire up that sucker but cooking for one is no fun. I guess Pudding (our golden) would join me if I make a pie

I think you will love that oven but I ask you one favor. Please fire her up when the wind is blowing north so I can get a smell of all that good pizza you will be making & when you open RG's famous Pizza Pie & Pasta restaurant I want the first table.

Have fun & eat well.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline RG

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 05:54:15 PM »
The Wall Street journal featured that Roccbox last week. Looks cool. Then I saw the price....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know right? I liked it a lot, I like the way you can change fuel sources so easily but I mainly wanted a gas fired oven so paying $600 was not for me. At $250.00 I think the Koda is a decent deal. I could've gotten the Uuni/Ooni gas conversion kit for under $100 but I didn't want to do that to the Uuni 2s and I also like that the Koda doesn't have a big old honking chimney, it's much more streamlined. I also like that it doesn't have a door.

I may hate it, I may love it. Time will tell. I broke down and told my wife about it today. She rolled her eyes, lol. Since I am not using my action cams much anymore, I told her I'd sell my GoPro to recoup the money :P

Offline RG

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 06:02:05 PM »
RG I see you opening an Italian restaurant some day soon (LOL).

I have to tell the truth here I bought a gas powered Pizza oven (not allowed to say the name on here) four years ago...…..& have not used it once. Between My mom my Aunt, my kids & my dogs health problems..&...now my in-laws there is just no time. On top of that My daughter is now a Vegan & my wife is a part time vegetarian. Plus on top of that my son does not like pizza.

I wish I could just fire up that sucker but cooking for one is no fun. I guess Pudding (our golden) would join me if I make a pie

I think you will love that oven but I ask you one favor. Please fire her up when the wind is blowing north so I can get a smell of all that good pizza you will be making & when you open RG's famous Pizza Pie & Pasta restaurant I want the first table.

Have fun & eat well.

Rich, your last sentence is about all I can help you with, lol. An Italian Ristorante is not in the cards as I would bastardize every known true Italian dish, lol. I am very much a hack but I don't mind trying to make something quasi-Italian, lol.

As for your pizza oven, dust that sucker off. You can make vegan pies easily. There are non-dairy cheeses that melt very well. Daiya makes a vegan mozz that's not too shabby, my vegan daughter LOVES it. Pizza dough itself is vegan, flour, water, salt, yeast. Pizza sauce is vegan. Veggies are vegan as is (gasp) tofu! :P

You can also make steaks and other proteins in it. Get a cast iron dish or pan (think fajitas) and heat that puppy up and slap a steak on it and put it in the pizza oven. Works great! It is limited but does do more than just pizzas. As for your son, there's just no hope for him. I say you cut your losses and move on, lol :P

Offline RG

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 02:18:13 PM »

Looks stealthy! :P

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 03:44:35 PM »
Very cool looking. Like something from Star Wars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline DWard51

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2019, 09:13:45 PM »
I presume it connects directly to the LP tank and has a regulator valve on the hose?   Is the pressure regulator marked as to what the output is?  I'm wondering if it can be run from the low pressure on a RV quick disconnect fitting (11 inches pressure - which is common).   That would be awesome for on the road.

Offline RG

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 07:02:04 AM »
I presume it connects directly to the LP tank and has a regulator valve on the hose?   Is the pressure regulator marked as to what the output is?  I'm wondering if it can be run from the low pressure on a RV quick disconnect fitting (11 inches pressure - which is common).   That would be awesome for on the road.

I'll check and let you know in a bit.

Offline RG

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 09:23:28 AM »

Here are some pics of the connector and the regulator if that helps.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 09:55:02 AM »
Very very
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline DWard51

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2019, 05:00:37 PM »

Here are some pics of the connector and the regulator if that helps.

2.8KPa translates to 11.25 "inches of water" which is what a standard RV/Trailer LP tank regulator pressure output is for all the RV appliances and cook tops.  So it would work just fine on the low pressure (after the regulator) side of a RV/trailer if you used a RV quick disconnect hose that would fit the input side of the Ooni.  Thanks, that's good to know.   Or you could use the existing hose if you screwed it directly to the LP tank on the trailer. 

The Ooni uses a standard LP appliance regulator, and if that one ever flakes out you can find a replacement easy as that pressure regulation value is probably the most common for LP gas.

Offline RG

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 06:52:33 AM »
So I finally got to try it out. I love it! To me, it is SO much easier to use than my Uuni 2S that it's almost criminal, lol. The Uuni 2S made some nice pies but this thing is so effortless. It handles the fire so all you have to do is load it, spin it, take it out and eat it. ZERO fire management is awesome! On top of that, there is ZERO smoke to worry about since it's not burning pellets. The 2S made a ton of smoke, it would choke you out if the wind was blowing. I also like watching it cook since it has no door.

Overall I am thoroughly impressed and at this point I'd say it's definitely something I'd recommend. At $250.00 w/free shipping it's a no brainer.

(Borrowed from my other post)