FORUM SPONSORS > Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

Is this right

(1/1)

Viper209:
First real cook. PBC temp has stayed at 225-227 for 2.5 hours.
On the grill I have half turkey breast and racK St. Louis ribs cut in half. 2 thermoter wire type cables through 1 of the rebar holes (both bars in) and bottom air flow about 1/4 way open. At 2.5 hours turkey breast at 148
Does the temp seem right?
Thank you

NickyDeuce:
    You may want to open your bottom vent a little more.  A lot of smokers like to run at 225-250 but the Pit Barrel is designed to run a little hotter.  275-285 I have found is the ideal cooking temp.

pmillen:
As I recall, my PBC would run at ≈315°F when it was set up per the instructions and ready to cook.  I think that the PBC web site FAQs used to list 315°F as the normal operating temperature.  315°F is neither low and slow nor hot and fast.  It's somewhat in between.  After a time, that information was removed from their web site and they seemingly have been intentionally noncommittal about operating temperature.

As my cooks progressed, the temperature would usually drop to ≈285°F.  I wanted more reliable temperature control, not because I thought that it was important to the cook quality, but because I needed to forecast the completion time so the sides would be ready to serve at the same time.

I installed a stoker that gave me ±1°F by controlling the air supply.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version