FORUM SPONSORS > Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

Temperature Tips

(1/1)

Lsukev:
So I am expecting to get my Pit Barrel in the next few days. Shipping slow because of the hurricane. My question is-I’ve read how to use it-light 40 briquettes-but if you wanted to keep the temperature down just a little, could you light a few less briquettes? Maybe 30 instead of 40? Would that severely affect how it works?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pmillen:
I haven't had my PBC for a few years but as I recall it operated best at ≈315°F.  You can probably choke the air flow down to damp the fire but you may run the risk of creating undesirable smoke.

I suppose you'll have to experiment if other PBC users with experience with lower temperatures don't chime in.

ronman451:
In my experience, less charcoal doesn't really provide lower temps. I've had good luck dialing in temps by putting small bits of aluminum foil around the rebar. I'll play around with loosely wrapping a couple of the holes, usually on opposite sides of the barrel. You can crimp the foil a little tighter to reduce airflow or pull the foil away from the hole to get more airflow until you dial in the temp your want. pmillen is correct, you don't want to choke down the airflow too much, because you run the risk of incomplete charcoal combustion which makes for acrid tasting smoke. I've had luck dialing in clean smoke down to about 250 deg F. I never mess with the bottom vent. Your mileage may vary, of course, but half the fun is the learning curve on this cooker! Good luck and enjoy.

akruckus:
Agreed with above, don't mess with the lower vent.  I have even used wine corks to close off 2 holes, when only using one rebar.  I never really had a thermometer at that time, but it always gave a good smoke ring regardless of lower temp or not.  Personally best times and flavors were just do everything as PBC made it.

I will say the lighter fluid method always worked better for me than chimney, but both in the end produced same final result.

pmillen:
Okay, Kev, how has the PBC worked out for you?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version