Author Topic: Gas Grills  (Read 5832 times)

Offline MJSBBQ

Gas Grills
« Reply #-1 on: May 18, 2022, 08:55:59 AM »
Are any of you familiar with the newer Char Broil Infrared grills? I have a 15 year old Char Broil 4 burner that is getting a little frail. It has been the best grill ever for me. I have replaced the troughs through the years periodically. The newer Char Broil grills look entirely different even though they say they are infrared. Does anyone have any experience with any of these newer Char Broils, or has everyone gone to pellets and eggs?

Also, my ECB (Brinkman smoker) has finally quit working after all these years. Guess I will have to get a newer better smoker as well!

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
Re: Gas Grills
« on: May 19, 2022, 07:50:36 AM »
Interested to hear what people have to say.  I have a 20 year old weber that I put all new guts in, I keep eyeballing Big Box stores for those yellow tag floor model discounts
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 09:56:30 AM »
About 12 years ago I bought a Char-Broil IR grill.  I hated it.  The temperature control was nonexistent.  It was like a light switch, either on full blast or off.  The supposed stainless steel IR radiators rusted and couldn't retain seasoning because the high temperatures burned it off.  IDK what alloy the SS parts were but their corrosion resistance wasn't any better than mild steel.  I tried to convert it to a regular gasser with a tray of porcelain briquettes below the food but that was a failure too.  After a couple of frustrating years it migrated to the land fill.

I should point out that other people on the Char-Broil forum loved theirs.  So...go figure.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 07:54:05 AM »
So what are you using now?

The temperature control was not great for sure, but the grill itself was super dependable. True I replaced the troughs, but would expect that with any grill in that price range. I did put Grill Grates on top of the existing grates, and have loved that accessory!  I am trying to figure out where to go from here when the old guy finally croaks.

All of my friends have a BGE, but not sure if I want to go through the hassle factor of putting in charcoal and the clean up. They say it is worth it. I am so used to turn it on to a predictable heating surface with good results, and only having to clean the Grill Grates every few months.

Looking for suggestions!

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 12:08:26 PM »
So what are you using now?

Was that directed to me?

If so, see my signature line.  Of the seven items in use, I love each of them for various reasons.  I'd forego the Weber Kettle if I had to part with one of them.

BTW, from what you wrote I can tell that we had different Char-Broil IR grills.  I recall members of the Char-Broil forum having the one with a trough as an IR radiator.  I think it was nicknamed the Red.  My IR radiators were more like a grill grate directly under the food being cooked.

BTW #2, you might not want to pay much attention to my gas grill opinion because I'm a very light gas grill user.  A propane bottle lasts me about three years.  My primary use is as an oven for baked potatoes and such in the summer when I don't want to heat the kitchen.  Second most common use is when the item being cooked won't benefit from flavors provided by charcoal or wood.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2022, 06:22:36 AM »
Yes you are right.My Char Broil is the RED. Not sure if they make that design anymore.

Just asking everybody what they are using these days and their opinions.

Thanks for any input!

Offline OkieGirl

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 04:52:58 PM »
Mike, I had the same grill you do - the 4 burner RED with self cleaning. (I'm pretty sure you're the Mike
from the CharBroil forum around 10-12 years ago, based on grill and dog  ;D

I loved that grill but it seemed like it required too much pampering.  Of course, I tried to follow all the
recommendations from CB Barry, so maybe it was overkill. Between that and the troughs rusting, I started looking
around about 7 years ago and wound up going with Weber.

I bought a used Genesis to try, before going all in, and then I bought a new Genesis II 3 burner.  I am extremely happy with it and the 10 year warranty.
I don't know about the new models that came out recently; they look kinda cheap to me.  But I would definitely recommend
one from the previous few years.

As for the smoker, I've had a Pit Barrel Cooker for almost 10 years.  I also have a Bradley Original Smoker.
Between those 2, I can smoke anything I want.

Good luck with your grill shopping.

I can allllmost remember that dog's name.  :thinking:   :)

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2022, 07:51:26 AM »
Yep, that is me! I bought that grill in 2008. Still going semi-strong which is why I am looking around. Thanks for the input.

Ole Bennie was my all time favorite! Still keep a stable of rescued Goldens.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2022, 09:11:22 AM »
Yep, that is me! I bought that grill in 2008. Still going semi-strong which is why I am looking around. Thanks for the input.

BEAUTIFUL BABIES.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline OkieGirl

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2022, 10:37:09 AM »

Glad to see that hasn't changed; it's the best way to honor Bennie's memory.  :)
You seem to favor the gray faces, as do I - but 2 at a time is all I can handle. LOL

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2022, 12:10:52 PM »
I went to a Sears four burner grill with a side burner so i guess that makes five total. Love it but I am facing your problem that after six years do I replace parts or buy a new grill within a year or two. But I love this grill as it has a folding slide up full serving table for parties. Yes it was cheap 199 on sale but I like that as in a few years I like to move on to a newer grill. Maybe this time I am not in such a rush lol.

So do I move to a CB IR grill or something else so i am watching this too, My budget would be 250 tops unless something so special comes out.

I need a side burner & four burners & one that will fit my Sizzle-Q Griddle.

Bottom line I am know help to you as I am lost.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2022, 05:42:36 PM »
If you are like me, you like your old grill because you it's cooking areas and hot spots,so it is dependable. Funny, my 4 burner has a side burner that I have never used.

Also in the market for a griddle. Someone mentioned the Lodge cast iron,and I just looked at your Sizzle Q. Both look great. Will have to decide on the griddle too and find some good recipes for the griddle as well.

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2022, 03:59:37 PM »
If you are like me, you like your old grill because you it's cooking areas and hot spots,so it is dependable. Funny, my 4 burner has a side burner that I have never used.

Also in the market for a griddle. Someone mentioned the Lodge cast iron,and I just looked at your Sizzle Q. Both look great. Will have to decide on the griddle too and find some good recipes for the griddle as well.

ditto lol

The sizzle q may not be as good as some of the full time griddles out there that are all griddle but it fits on both my Jets tailgating grill & on my sears grill & any grill that I might buy in the future, so yes I am cheap two birds with one stone. On my sears I also still have room to cook on the grill if I want at the same time.  It may lose a little heat sitting on top but it works for me. The side burner is not used all the time but I like that I can cook onions etc or corn outside & serve right from the grill. Keeps the kitchen cooler too.,
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill