FORUM SPONSORS > MAK Grills

My first go at Pastrami

(1/3) > >>

M in MAK:
I have never cooked it before  :o So I knew i needed to try it! I got some corned beef on sale at the local grocers. Soaked it in water for an hour to try and reduce the salt content. Then threw it on the smoker! 2 hrs. on smoke then I bumped it up to 250 until the IT was 165.

I was happy with the result but I will definitely change some things for my next Pastrami cook. I think I will soak for longer and change the water more frequently to get the salt content further down. I also want to smoke for a longer period of time to try and get a more pronounced smoke flavor. Any other suggestions?? And finally, this one is key i think, I need to invest in a new knife!!  :P

Pappymn:
Wonder if 165 was the right temp. I did a CB last week that I took to 195 with some foil love too. 

The real talent will chime in shortly I'm sure.

Sam3:

--- Quote from: Pappymn on March 21, 2013, 12:53:37 PM ---Wonder if 165 was the right temp. I did a CB last week that I took to 195 with some foil love too. 

The real talent will chime in shortly I'm sure.

--- End quote ---

I'm a hack.... :'(  ;D

I soaked mine for 24 hrs, changed the water a few time and took the Pastrami to 165. Pulled, wrapped in 2 sheets of foil and left on the counter until it was cool to the touch.
Refrigerated that overnight and sliced the next day. I don't think I would do anything different the next time. Ok, maybe cut back on the coriander and bit. But that's all.
I did mine on the WSM with a chunk of apple. I didn't have my MAK yet, but I'll use the AMZNPS tube when I do it next time on the MAK.

squirtthecat:

Looks like you cut it with the grain rather than against it.    That will make the final product a bit chewier.

Otherwise, I think you are off to a good start!

mikecorn.1:
That looks ridiculously good :P

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version