Author Topic: Kansas City Mo  (Read 2028 times)

Offline Saber 4

Kansas City Mo
« Reply #-1 on: August 04, 2014, 12:28:09 PM »
We're planning on hitting KC about dinner time on Wednesday on our way to Tenpoint 5's Smoke out in Iowa, that's the plan at least depending on how many Quilt Shops SWMBO finds en route.

Looking for restaurant ideas maybe BBQ or Steak type places local owned landmarks or just good food, "diners, drive in's & dives" style.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Kansas City Mo
« on: August 04, 2014, 12:48:56 PM »
Oklahoma Joe's and Athur Bryant's are the two that come to mind for me...
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 11:09:35 PM »
Oklahoma Joe's and Athur Bryant's are the two that come to mind for me...

Thanks T

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 11:21:39 PM »
My pleasure!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 12:14:59 AM »
And we would definetly like to see a full report on which ever one you choose.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 01:18:17 PM »
And we would definetly like to see a full report on which ever one you choose.  ;)

I'll be sure to report in on the different places we find to eat along the way

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 02:40:53 PM »
I lived in KC for many years and tried them all.  My favorite is Jack Stacks in Martin City 13441 Holmes Rd.  They have great burnt ends.  Of course there is Arthur Bryants and Gates.  There are lots of hole in the walls joints that serve excellent BBQ.  You need about a month to visits all of the places to sample the food  ;D  If you only have time to go to only 1 place then Jack Stacks would be the one that I would hit.  I think they have opened other locations since I moved from KC.  Tourists seemed to always go to KC Masterplace (Rich Davis sauce) and they were just OK.  I understand that they finally closed down all of the KC Masterpiece locations.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 04:21:47 PM »
Thanks Sailor, I'll throw them all at SWMBO and see where we end up.

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 10:50:45 PM »
With all our stops and piddling along the way we only made it as far north as Fort Scott KS so we didn't get any Kansas City BBQ tonight but we did find a neat town full of antique stores and a historic fort to check out in the morning along with a cool little old school diner that was so good we had to get dessert for the motel room and we're going back for breakfast in the morning.

Nice little bacon cheese burger with a handmade patty and fresh cut onion rings

After we check out the fort and the town in the morning we're going on to Iowa with a stop at the historic (probably touristy) German Amana Colony then on to the Smokeout at 10.5's place on Friday

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 11:13:22 PM »
Those look like nice rings! And, the burger looks like it was done on a little town flat top....? To me they are the best. A little salty  and peppery with a crispy soft bun and a big glass of milk with bubbles..... lol....

The Amana colonies are worth the time to visit. I used to live in Des Moines and had offices in Cedar Rapids - went through the colonies weekly - some of the best food and people ever!

Please greet everyone at the Smoke out for me - It sounds to be the best time in the Midwest ever invented!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 12:52:20 AM »
That is one awesome looking burger and onion rings.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 09:41:58 AM »
Those look like nice rings! And, the burger looks like it was done on a little town flat top....? To me they are the best. A little salty  and peppery with a crispy soft bun and a big glass of milk with bubbles..... lol....

The Amana colonies are worth the time to visit. I used to live in Des Moines and had offices in Cedar Rapids - went through the colonies weekly - some of the best food and people ever!

Please greet everyone at the Smoke out for me - It sounds to be the best time in the Midwest ever invented!

It was done on a nice little flat top, you can sit at the counter and watch them cook, thanks for the info on the colonies sounds like my kind of place and I will give everyone your best when I arrive, maybe you can make it down next time