Author Topic: Hotdogopolis Birmingham, AL  (Read 869 times)

Offline TwoPockets

Hotdogopolis Birmingham, AL
« Reply #-1 on: July 02, 2012, 07:13:33 PM »
While Birmingham Alabama is surprisingly known for some of the finest high end restaurants in the country, notably the restaurants of Frank Stitt and Chris Hastings (who kicked Bobby Flay's butt on Iron Chef), it is also home to what are considered to be some of the best hot dogs in the world. I know Chicago and New York might argue, but it is. The Greek immigrants to Birmingham strated the traditon of great hot dogs and they continue it to this day. This is a link to a blog to The Great Birmingham Hot Dog Tour, please scroll down and watch the must see video about the hot dog stands in Birmingham and the tribute to Constantine “Gus” Koutroulakis who was a legend in Birmingham. I know the current blog is about a hot dog place in Mexico Beach, FL, which is another of my favorite places, but enjoy reading about the history of hot dogs in Birmingham.

http://birminghamhotdogtour.blogspot.com/

Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Re: Hotdogopolis Birmingham, AL
« on: July 03, 2012, 08:08:12 AM »
Ken,  I have been reading Frank's book...again... and it is a fantasitic cook book.  I ''borrowed" it from my son in law, the Executive Chef.   I love the blog on the hot dog tour.  That portion of the Gulf and South Alabama is one of God's well kept secrets.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Admin2

• Administrator
Re: Hotdogopolis Birmingham, AL
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 12:59:52 PM »
Great post Ken! Nice article.....makes me hungry for a hot dog!