Author Topic: Pizza stone recommendations  (Read 3420 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Pizza stone recommendations
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2014, 03:09:57 PM »
Yeah - I agree with you that different cookers may benefit from different "slabs" to cook on.
 One thing I noticed that in the new Uuni2, there is an approx. 1/4 slab of aluminum that the pizza cook on. We know that aluminum cooks great ( GrillGrates are a good example )..

I wonder if it is as much the thickness of the dough - and amount of toppings, that help us determine which stone/slab is best for our individual uses...

As an example - you never see the wood fired brick oven pizza shops that are cooking at 900F making thick pizzas. I used to think that was because they were cheapskates :D....But, having tried thicker - and thinner pizzas in the Uuni....I think it is really based on how I make the pizza ;)

I know the Kamado can get very hot too....so - does it does make sense that the thickness of the dough and toppings makes the difference in choice of cooking surface as it slows the heat transfer, allowing enough time for the dough to develop without burning, etc....
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:04:28 PM by teesquare »
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Pizza stone recommendations
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
I have a stone and a steel. Of the two I like the steel better.

A thick baking steel is heavier than a stone but will not crack like a stone can.

I have the pampered chef stone and it works good.
Which steel model do you have? Does the type impact the taste? texture of the pizza?

The new Unni 2 has it's own removable pizza steel. I like the crisp bottom crust a steel makes and the durability of it.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven